Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Max Effective Range Of 177

The simple answer is yes. Hit the right spot and it is dead.

The reality is that any error you make becomes much magnifyed by range and ones ability to read wind is a dark art not mastered by many.

Even an imperceptible breeze at 60 yds will have an influence and the gyroscopic effect and drag on the pellet will be taking hold making it more of a lottery.

Bottom line - the max range is based on the individuals ability to hit a 5 p peice repeatedly. That is the question you must ask of yourself
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Smile Pigeons clean kill

What pellets are you using?

Great reply from DaveyK.....

.... not in the least patronising, just solid facts.

Nice to see this sort of answer to an enquiry for a change.

Happy shooting,

Paul.

chairgun would say that a rifle firing aa fields at 11.5ft/lbs at the muzzle would retain roughly 5.5ft/lbs at 60yards which would be ample to penetrate a rabbit skull. If you are good enough to hit it consistently then go for it mate. Everyones limits are different. Or dont be put off from learning to be good enough to take 60yard shots just because somebody else's limit is 40. Just make sure you do it on paper firs.t

Quote Originally Posted by grouse83 View Post
    chairgun would say that a rifle firing aa fields at 11.5ft/lbs at the muzzle would retain roughly 5.5ft/lbs at 60yards which would be ample to penetrate a rabbit skull. If you are good enough to hit it consistently then go for it mate. Everyones limits are different. Or dont be put off from learning to be good enough to take 60yard shots just because somebody else's limit is 40. Just make sure you do it on paper firs.t
    I use aa field i would never take a 60 yard shot at live quarry only paper because i aint got the skill to hit a kill zone everytime.i pretty suprised at how much energy is lost at 60 yards i thought it would have been about 7 or 8ft/lbs of energy left

Quote Originally Posted by grouse83 View Post
    there are very few people who can group this good the size of a 10p peice at 60yds with a sub 12 air rifle.

I regularly practice 25mm KZ on a reducer resetter at 55 yds at the club range. I will nock down the mini bird probably 19 out of 20 and reset 9 times out of 10 when I do my bit and I am quite consistant.

This is very different from taking a shot in the field and whilst I would support your encouragement of pushing and testing your marksmanship, it is not proper to give the same advice on live quarry. your range is set by your ability to group not by your desire to push boundaries.

All I am saying is be realistic - field shooting is a very different thing to club practice where you can spend a lot of time getting your eye in and allowing for weather. In the field, its a one shot assessment and it isnt justifiable to take such a risk unless it is a british politician in which case it is fair game
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill