Thread: Long range targets

Long range targets

I have recently been asked the question if i could make chalk targets for 500-600 yard range, approx 4-5 inches in size.
    The question is: is there any demand out there for such a target?
    Initial set up costs are high to produce a target of this size, and as a one off, it is not really viable.
    Any comments welcome

Hi Susie

Paint some clay pigeons white ?

From memory they are 110mm dia ....

Cheers

Roy

they would be useful for chinese guns ar 6yds!
    A.V Marochinni O/U 12 Gauge
    Baikal S/B 12 Gauge
    Air Arms S200 MK2 .177

Cant see much if any demand, people will use clays as already suggested. On certerfire rifle we tend to use either paper of hardened steel gongs at those sorts of ranges,

a

Just recently been trying some offcuts of fireproof plasterboard (I'm sure ordinary plasterboard would be the same) with both 12ftlb and FAC rifles and the results are good. When hit the board gives off a 'puff' of white dust from the back so a hit is quite visible at range. Because of the backing the board doesn't fall apart but even with the standard air rifle the front face shows a very clean and well defined 'bullet' hole and so a piece of board is useable for some time. Haven't had a chance to shoot the board at more than 40-50m so far but, assuming complete penetration by a standard rifle, it seems to me plasterboard pieces used as a kill zone on a target, or even with a target stuck on, would give a good visual indication of a hit at good distances. Certainly with FAC rifles easily visible hits are possible at good distances. If you have some old bits of plasterboard lying around have a go.

Quote Originally Posted by susie View Post
    I have recently been asked the question if i could make chalk targets for 500-600 yard range, approx 4-5 inches in size.
    The question is: is there any demand out there for such a target?
    Initial set up costs are high to produce a target of this size, and as a one off, it is not really viable.
    Any comments welcome
    As somebody else mentioned, a clay pigeon is just as suitable, though I don't quite see the necessity to paint one White, Orange is fairly easy to see from a distance.

As a target shooter, I don't think there'd be much demand as we tend to use markers in the stop butts. The idea might appeal to sporting shooters not shooting on a proper range and not having anyone to mark their targets.

Small Chalk targets are fine for plinking at short ranges and we use them now and again at our club.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

A thread revived after 3 years .......

10-03-2009, 10:12 PM
    28-03-2012, 07:13 PM

Anyone know what the record is for 'dead thread revivals' .....

Cheers

Roy