Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 yrd pistol

6 yrd pistol

Nearly forgot, this afternoon I managed a staggering 41 with my HW45 and RWS R10 4.50 ammo. Not achieved this for ages, well chuffed.
    John
    I Wear my Badge I have my Voice Proud to be a BASC Member

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

And rightly so!

Congratulations, mate! That's WAY better than I can manage!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Well thank you Jim, I've had a consistancy problem with it lately but it seems to have settled down again. It can be a highly accurate pistol at times.

Though I much prefer its can mangling ability.
    John

going to have to set up a small range in the garden and get some practice, or with the lighter nights coming in I might get some more range time.

Good shooting by the way

Thank you Photoguy, Im lucky that there is a Club about 10 mile away and it can be accessed 24/7. Down side is Im becoming obsessed with target shooting. Between that and Low Mill Ranges hardly any time for pest control these days.
    John

hey webber, what do u mean u 'achieved a 41'?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_J View Post
    I'm going to try it with all my pistols. 6 yd target, what target do you use for this?
    Standard target the club provides for postal comps, not entered yet too soon but getting in plenty of practice I'll see if I can get one scanned in. 6yd pistol 1980 Air 8
    John
    Last edited by webranger; 03-04-2008 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_J View Post
    I'm going to try it with all my pistols. 6 yd target, what target do you use for this?
    Think I may try 6 yard as well....I can't focus properly with my varifocals on so I shoot without and the sights are not so blurred but the target is at 10 yards....interested to know what size, etc the targets are too....
    Eric.

Scanned image 6yd pistol target er used one

Ive scanned it it with a bit of luck see if it works.
    John
    Last edited by webranger; 27-09-2008 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eredel View Post
    Think I may try 6 yard as well....I can't focus properly with my varifocals on so I shoot without and the sights are not so blurred but the target is at 10 yards....interested to know what size, etc the targets are too....
    Eric.
    The target is supposed to be blurred; only the sights should be in focus, in fact only the front one, which is the one you concentrate on.

Try some off the hook reading glasses, for starters, half the strength of the reading section of your varifocals and see if you can get that front sight in focus.

With a pistol, you should not be aiming at a point, but an area and the main thing is to keep your sights aligned together. You can make excellent "scores" shooting at a blank sheet of paper; the bull only distracts you from the sights.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by webranger View Post
    Nearly forgot, this afternoon I managed a staggering 41 with my HW45 and RWS R10 4.50 ammo. Not achieved this for ages, well chuffed.
    John
    Nice shooting there Tex.

Never shot from 6 Yrds only 10m, I'll have to give it a go.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    The target is supposed to be blurred; only the sights should be in focus, in fact only the front one, which is the one you concentrate on.

Try some off the hook reading glasses, for starters, half the strength of the reading section of your varifocals and see if you can get that front sight in focus.

With a pistol, you should not be aiming at a point, but an area and the main thing is to keep your sights aligned together. You can make excellent "scores" shooting at a blank sheet of paper; the bull only distracts you from the sights.

Thanks for that Derek....
    I know about concentrating on the sights and am not worried about the target...it's getting those damn fibre optics clear and not blurred as they are for me ...
    Good idea about some cheapo reading specs...will probably get some funny looks in the chemists trying them holding my thumb at arms length but better than taking a pistol in there and holding at arms length.....
    Eric.

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)
    For those of you considering 6 or 10yd shooting, you may find THIS thread of interest.

Reason I've linked to page 3 is that's where - post number 33 - there are some printable targets, scaled for both these ranges.

Biggles
    Rapid MkII .22, AA400C .177, AA MPR .177, AA Prosport .177, AA TX200, AA FTP900, HW75 .177, HW45 Silver Star .22, and my dear ol' Webley Ranger .177 (circa 1966) Mile Oak - WEB SITE Air Arms HFT Team member

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)
    Oh ... and sould have said .....

Nice shooting webranger. Perhaps you'll join pollythedog's comp next time round

Biggles
    Rapid MkII .22, AA400C .177, AA MPR .177, AA Prosport .177, AA TX200, AA FTP900, HW75 .177, HW45 Silver Star .22, and my dear ol' Webley Ranger .177 (circa 1966) Mile Oak - WEB SITE Air Arms HFT Team member

Well thank you I worked very hard for th 41. Mind it is not a high score to some of these guys at the club, must do better
    John