Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Target pistols pricey or what

Target pistols pricey or what

Hi:
    After much contemplation Im going to get a Rohm Sport, not seen one localy with a L/hand grip so not able to try one proper like. Do any of you have this model if so what do you think of its performance. Also they are advertised on Uttings at 4fpe I suspect this is tripe so can someone confirm please.

There are other splendid target pistols but the price tags IMO are rediculous. Not ready to part with £1000 or around that for a pistol thats only good for shooting paper. What do you all think on this subject.
    John
    I Wear my Badge I have my Voice Proud to be a BASC Member

John,

Horses for courses in my opinion.

I honestly will never be "into" pistol shooting that much that I need a gun of that quality. Mine is all fun plinking.

Having said that, if it's your "thing" why not?

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

Aardys is offline Formerly Old gun/git/ formerly oldcliff/formerly (watch this bleddy space)...
    its the build quality that makes them cost that un-godly amount of money im afraid .. i had a go with a Steyr 5 shot semi once .. have to say it must be the highest quality pistol i have ever shot , just superbly made ..
    you can pick them up secondhand for about half the new price .. and good thing with target pistols is they will always be in good condition ,, why would they not be.
    but the Gamo compact is a good target pistol to start with , and the trigger can be modded to make it better ,
    Nige on here had a web site that showed how to get it to work better ,,
    have fun .,..,cliff
    Getting Old

Quote Originally Posted by webranger View Post
    Hi:
    After much contemplation Im going to get a Rohm Sport, not seen one localy with a L/hand grip so not able to try one proper like. Do any of you have this model if so what do you think of its performance. Also they are advertised on Uttings at 4fpe I suspect this is tripe so can someone confirm please.

There are other splendid target pistols but the price tags IMO are rediculous. Not ready to part with £1000 or around that for a pistol thats only good for shooting paper. What do you all think on this subject.
    John

But thats the whole point. They are only really designed for paper punching its just that some folks appreciate the quality and use them for other purposes as well.

I have only ever used mine for 10m, so if I want to plink or shoot pistol HFT then there's again really only one choice, a proper mans pistol, the BSA Scorpion

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

Apart from the Gamo Compact, which is an excellent gun,as previously stated, why not go for a S/H Tau, Alfa or Aeron CO2? Unless you are approaching Olympic standard, they will outshoot you and most of the guys with the Steyrs etc.. Don't pay too much attention to the doomsayers regarding CO2. If you use it sensibly, you won't be caught out with varying velocities. The above guns can be found for around £150 upwards.
    If you are lucky you could drop onto a CO2 version of one of the World class pistols at a very reasonable price, because everyone knows that CO2 is a waste of time and nowadays we must go pre-charged......
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Ive met a bloke shooting a CO2 pistol if memory serves right I believe it was a Drulov. Highly accurate but heavy, too heavy for me.

Any Rohm sport lovers?
    John

Edit
    I intend to enter the 6yd pistol comps and later on the 10m comps so decent kit needed. Am struggling to get the constistant accuracy with the HW45 though I do love this pistol its so much fun blasting tin cans into oblivion.

I personally wouldn't go for a Rohm for 10m due to the long lock time from the "hammer" strike.

I might be in the market to pass on a FAS 604 extended barrel though. Puts all other over barrel pneumatics to shame and very accurate.

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    I don't understand why pistols are so expensive unless the manufacturers are actually saying they make their pistols better than their rifles - which have more than 3 times the material in them?
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by xbow View Post
    I don't understand why pistols are so expensive unless the manufacturers are actually saying they make their pistols better than their rifles - which have more than 3 times the material in them?
    Thats it in a nutshell. Tuesday at Low mill I was looking at a steyr target PCP air rifle lovely polished finish with peep sight £995 in comparison with a pistol a lot more for your money. Im not confused I think they are ripping us off and then some.
    John

The top quality rifles are expensive too! Don't compare a Steyr or similar pistol with a good but somewhat lesser rifle. Compare apples with apples.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,

I will admit I know very little of top end target rifles but this one looked very good and came with a test card one hole group. How much better can they be?
    John

Aardys is offline Formerly Old gun/git/ formerly oldcliff/formerly (watch this bleddy space)...
    Quote Originally Posted by xbow View Post
    maybe they sell more rifles than pistols so they can bring the price down a bit ,,
    Getting Old

Fair enough John. We were both typing at the same time last post.

I hadn't looked at price lists, but two guys in our club recently bought Steyrs; the rifle was around £1200 and the 5 shot pistol a bit short of a grand I believe. I think the single shot pistol is a bit cheaper. Both still a lot of money I agree and apart from the satisfaction factor of owning and using a fine piece of precision engineering, they are almost definitely overkill for around 99.9% of shooters.

The Steyr rifle is shooting mid 90s bench rest (not the rifle's fault!) whereas another member with a standard Air Arms 410 is regularly doing 104 to 108. You can't buy points!

That was the first time I've had my paws on a proper target rifle and I was impressed by the way it looked and the features though quite heavy.
    Pistols:
    I will end up with a Styr/equal pistol eventually though Im a little frustated I'll not be able to afford one this year. Something to look forward to next year maybe.
    John

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    I quite like this:

http://www.schiesssport.de/shop/1/wa...lp_p56_rechts/

But at £1,132.00 it's a bit on the pricey side and more than my rifle:

http://www.schiesssport.de/shop/1/wa...versal_rechts/
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.