Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winchester SX3

Giles. My wife has an SX3 and yes, it doesn't like short carts and will misbehave. She sticks with 70mm and it functions fine for PSG.

It did cycle 21g loads fine too (although they don't make power factor for PSG - my Benelli M2 wouldn't cope with loads that low as it didn't have enough thwap to cycle the action reliably)

I've also just modified the carrier because it was like the devil's own chip fork and she put a hole in her thumb more than once. Welded up the end and it is now damn near impossible to get your thumb caught and it still loads fine (birdshot) - not tried slug or buck yet though so will reserve judgement on complete success until then.

Winchester SX3

I have one of these on my wish list, I saw one in action on my local psg wow what a shotty.
    www.nationalgamekeepers.org.uk
    "I love the smell of napalm in the morning"

sx3 mag ext tube

Anyone got any idea what length mag tube i need to bring mag level with 28" barrel on sx3?
    cheers

I think a +8 Nordic Tube would be slightly too long. Possibly a +7 would be closer.. see specs:

Winchester SX2, SX3, Browning Gold
    +02 +03 +04 +05 +06 +07 +08
    5.80" 8.28" 10.05" 11.63" 14.00" 17.24" 19.89"

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by CROWBLIND View Post
    Anyone got any idea what length mag tube i need to bring mag level with 28" barrel on sx3?
    cheers
    I have a +7 and it is perfect. Sticks out past the choke tube by about 5mm

My SX-3 12 shot
    www.bedfordgunclub.co.uk The Bedfordshire County Rifle & Pistol Association is one of the premier multi-discipline shooting clubs in the UK.

Nice Flanigun wiggy

A point worth remembering. The Flanigun version is available in 26" barrel - I think the standard SX3 smallest barrel is 28"... that's what I recall when we bought the flanigun (the missus)

Update from my previous post - we have put much slug and buck through the gun since altering the carrier and it's all loaded fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bonesy View Post

A point worth remembering. The Flanigun version is available in 26" barrel - I think the standard SX3 smallest barrel is 28"... that's what I recall when we bought the flanigun (the missus)
    I did not know that. I have only seen the Flaniguns in 28" ... and I wanted a 30" really with no luck (in FAC version anyway).
    www.bedfordgunclub.co.uk The Bedfordshire County Rifle & Pistol Association is one of the premier multi-discipline shooting clubs in the UK.

I recall that neither of them is available in 24" which is what we wanted for PSG - hence why we got the shorter Flanigun version (and the missus liked the colour of course )

It also has the two rib beads unlike the standard SX-3 which only had the end bead

A friend who shoots PSG did have his modified to 24" but of course it meant re-threading for the choke so wasn't cheap.

...obviously, depending on whether it's 26" / 28" or higher means that you can stand a longer tube without it poking far past the barrel.

Wiggy - didn't see one in 30" either - it was 28" or nothing for the standard SX-3.

good to shoot though aren't they ... but I'll stick with my Benelli M2
    Last edited by bonesy; 12-08-2009 at 09:45 PM. Reason: speeeling

Sx3

I love my SX3 and will never part with it-Awesome Shotgun.
    Daystate Renegade .177,Daystate Forester LE .22,Daystate Huntsman Classic .177,Daystate Huntsman Regal .177,Daystate Bullpup 2000 .177,Weihrauch HW45 Custom .22,Weihrauch Silverstar .22,Weihrauch HW77K SE .22,Weihrauch HW35E .22.

FWIW, according to the Winchester U.S. website, the Flanigun model isn't available with a 26" barrel, but it may be for the U.K./European market, who knows. Probably the only difference between its barrel and that of the other models is the colour (of the exhibition model anyway). I was in an RFD's yesterday comparing a Benelli Centro and an SX3 Field; though the SX3 looks a lot bulkier, there was very little difference in weight and balance, both were nice and light, both had 28" barrels and wooden stocks. Comparing the synthetic stocked versions may be similar, but the overbored Winchester barrels would be, for me, a major enticement. I know the PSG guys have different criteria though. I'm in no hurry to replace my M2 anyway, the practicalities of ownership; cleaning, maintenance and reliability are hard to beat, except by a Raffaello maybe. Regards ... Geek
    Last edited by Gungeek; 13-08-2009 at 10:22 PM.
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

Quote Originally Posted by Gungeek View Post
    I'm in no hurry to replace my M2 anyway, the practicalities of ownership; cleaning, maintenance and reliability are hard to beat
    Absolutely agree with you on that Gungeek. Being recoil operated the M2 is a dream to clean with no gas-fouled bits to deal with. Takes me about 2-3 times longer to clean the SX3 than me luvverly M2

The SX3 will handle 21g carts though - the M2 struggles to cycle that low - even at 24g my M2 isn't reliable every time so I stick with heavier rounds.

The Flanigun does have a central bead - whereas the std SX3 didn't when we purchased. Not sure if this is still the case. I've not tried it for claying yet (SX3) but I think it will be sweet.

You've got the right idea mate, have one of each! It seems fairly likely the SX3 will seen as 'a classic' in years to come, it appears to be a significant advance in the evolution of semi-auto shotguns and Benellis have become rather expensive too. Anyway, the easiest of all semis to clean and service must be the Benelli Raffaellos - the same inertial operating system as the M2, Montefeltro, Centro, Comfort, etc., but the top of the receiver comes off giving complete access to all the workings. Regards ... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

Quote Originally Posted by Gungeek View Post
    You've got the right idea mate, have one of each! It seems fairly likely the SX3 will seen as 'a classic' in years to come, it appears to be a significant advance in the evolution of semi-auto shotguns and Benellis have become rather expensive too. Anyway, the easiest of all semis to clean and service must be the Benelli Raffaellos - the same inertial operating system as the M2, Montefeltro, Centro, Comfort, etc., but the top of the receiver comes off giving complete access to all the workings. Regards ... Geek
    Yep your right there, I have the Raffaello crio comfort in 4+1 fac and its a superb bit of kit, and it works with 24grm carts flawlessly.
    cheers
    Barry
    "Now you wanna run around and talk about guns
    Like I ain't got none What you think I sold 'em all
    Cause I stay well off".

http://www.stmichaelsonline.com/

NRA Qualified RCO.

"Do you lick the lid of life ?"

I have a 30" Flanigan and its fantastic for clays, its the only come that comes out of the cabinet now.

Just applied for a variation for a section 1 shottie, and quite fancy a sx3.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but not answered, is a pistol stock available to fit the sx3.