Thread: Tau 7

Tau 7

Hi pistol blokes

I posted this in the main forum the other day, must've been the wrong place

Just bought a Tau7 Co2 pistol and am reasonably pleased with it...except the hammer spring arrangement. I cant get anywhere near velocity consistency that should be available. 565fps one week......465 the next........530fps one shot.......470 the next!! I suspect the hammer spring arrangement, it looks like a cheap, nasty little affair, the spring doesn't fit the pin properly, the ends are not flat and the spring turns and I suspect, varies the time the valve is open, hence the inconsistency. It also runs out of adjustment prematurely. I have chronoed the gun at 690fps (just to see what it could do mind) but that was weeks ago, now I cant get over 565 with any weight pellet.

Im not after miracles, just about 550 fps to within around 10fps variance would do.

Am I in the right area with my suspicions and am I asking too much of this particular gun.

Anyone?

Many thanks

Barry

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Take it to May's of London at Buckhurst Hill, not too far from you, and get the gunsmith there to work it over. Mine was very accurate and yours should be nice and consistent too.

I think the Tau and the Alfa are similar designs, so it should be easy enough to work on and get a fix yourself..... .
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

I found the hammer spring was a sloppy fit on the guide but velocity was consistent in my example.

Have a look at your valve return spring and valve seal too. Possibly the stem is hanging up on a tight seal or the spring is gimped or binding. The stem should slide freely in the white valve seal.

TAU-7 Review
    http://my.tbaytel.net/~coopers@tbaytel.net/Tau7Review/

Cheers,
    Todd

thanks guys

Thanks for the info guys, I'll strip it and see Todd.

Fixed

It was quite easy once I'd figured the problem.

Made a spring guide out of plastic from a milk bottle.........Then made a smaller once because the spring was binding on the plastic ...Then made another one that could be 'captured' under the end of the spring because it slid up the hammer pin

Then a nice drop of quality gun oil.

Result, infinitely adjustable between around 350 fps and 600 fps and consistent to within a few fps at any setting.

Now to find a bbetter material for the job

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I have some modeller's sheet tin which is easy to work and does a good job for mainsprings. How much do you need? I can send you a bit if you like.

To be sure, check yr barrel for rust too. Tau barrels like rusting, and with rust in them, you get less consistancy and lower powers as well.
    ATB,
    yana

Nice to have a gun you can work on, rather than the "only £80 for a service" type.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I have some modeller's sheet tin which is easy to work and does a good job for mainsprings. How much do you need? I can send you a bit if you like.
    You have PM