Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maximun Legal barrel length of Pistol

When is a pistol not a pistol

What actually defines an air gun as a pistol ? is it not down to having pistol grips by design and being sub 6 ftlb

Pistol

UMMMM
    You can legally get a "short barrel rifle" Which is a long barrel pistol with a rearward extension to the stock, this is normally in the form of a counterweight to the long barrel, but I can not remember the source but local gunsmiths will tell you chapter and verse.
    The point is that it is weapons designated as "handguns" which are illegal and air pistols are not included in that group but their power output is legaly restricted and it is by exceeding the power output that it then becomes classed as a hndgun and as such illegal. I repeat the key word is "handgun" and the deffinition is very exact because the idea is to prevent the use of easily concealed weapons by irresponsible people.
    Target Bunny

Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    the idea is to prevent the use of easily concealed weapons by irresponsible people.
    Target Bunny
    Which, of course, it doesn't. It only restricts responsible people. But you knew that....

Jonathan

cannot see a problem as long as power is below 6ftpds its still a pistol , its when you use a long barrel at over 6ftpds and try and class it as a rifle, my drozd has a 16inch barrel and a removable stock but its still classed as a pistol

this taken from the same thread could you class a pistol as a rifle would it be leagal......?????

Snapshot & Hayesman
    I agree with both of you BUT, we are dealing with polititians and not sensible people here.

The barrel length of your pistol is unimportant as far as the act goes Haysman. It is the "removable" stock bit that causes you a problem because the de-facto state of your gun is that it is a pistol with an option to convert it to a carbine.

In all compressed gas weapons the barrel length affects the power output because it allows extra time for the gas to accelerate the projectile and by doing so it affects the speed and therefore the power, expressed in foot pounds, and this is where the trade off between friction/charge/spin needs to be calculated to get the best results.
    I'm stoping now 'cause my brain hurts
    Target Bunny

So if i wanted to converet a pistol in to a carbine could this be done with proper bocuments or am i just think of stupid sh*t...i understand what you r sayin bunny just wondering about this thats all.....i have chance of a falcon fn8 .177 off a mate of mine and inthink it would be a good tool if it could be converted (legallyyyyyy of course) to be say a litttle carbine for all my lovely rats that i need to get rid of......any ideas....???

Conversion

OK haysman I can see where you are headed with this one.
    The honest answer is: I aint sure! I think it will depend on how your conversion is done.
    For example there is a minimum barrel length (no I don't know without looking it up) and no matter what you do you can not get round this. Then there is the minimum total length (same as before) which you can not escape. Next comes the stock itself, and it has to be a "stock", which may incorporate a pistol grip but I am not at all certain as to how this next bit is described although I believe it is along the lines of "must not divide easily at the pistol grip" because if it does you have a convertable pistol and not a short barrel rifle. As far as I am aware it comes down to the simplicity of making the gun a handgun.

As far as the conversion goes any pistol with a wooden grip which attatches the mechanism to the hand held part of the gun can be converted by screwing and glueing (has to be both or plod can claim it's easy to take the screws out and convert to a pistol) a stock to the grip. No doubt metal framed pistols can be converted using machine screws and GRP.

These are only personal observations based on what I can remember and experience with how plod thinks, but, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Anyone like to pick holes in this or start a new thread for legal issues? We need a lot more coverage of issues like this.
    Target Bunny

A up bunny,i see your point mate and where you r coming from.If we take the crossmann rat catcher for example is this not based on a pistol if i am right (please correct me if wrong) the stock can be removed and i am sure that pistol grips could be put.So in essance we have a very powerful pistol....any thoughts......thanks for the reply bunny....any more comments very welcome...

would be classed as an illicit modification

removing stock and fitting pistol grips would be classed as a modification and an illicit one, a bit like sawing barrels down on a shotgun, you alter from the norm, eg turn a rifle into a "pistol" version and which is over limit and therfore not acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by hayesman View Post
    I am sure that pistol grips could be put
    Ironically pistol grips were actually available for it here, despite transforming the 2250 into a Sec.5 firearm.
    It's been several years since but I believe they were factory too.

The 2250/Ratcatcher now has a non removable stock. Screws have been replaced with a small cross bolt.
    There were after all these years finally some concerns apparently (2007)...

TwoTitans would be classed as an illicit modification

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    removing stock and fitting pistol grips would be classed as a modification and an illicit one, a bit like sawing barrels down on a shotgun, you alter from the norm, eg turn a rifle into a "pistol" version and which is over limit and therfore not acceptable.

No you got it wrong twotitans...i dont want to turn a rifle into a piustol its the other way round mate....

Korium Quote:
    Originally Posted by hayesman
    I am sure that pistol grips could be put

Ironically pistol grips were actually available for it here, despite transforming the 2250 into a Sec.5 firearm.
    It's been several years since but I believe they were factory too.

The 2250/Ratcatcher now has a non removable stock. Screws have been replaced with a small cross bolt.
    There were after all these years finally some concerns apparently (2007)...

It is a bit ironic that korium thanks for the heads up on that mate.....

Pistol/rifle conversion

Hayesman WHY?
    As a pistol you will have something which will be barrel heavy and constanty droop off aim. If you really must do it use the QB78 which only goes up to 6ft/lbs and has a wooden stock.

TwoTitans is spot on and if it is percieved that you are attempting to evade the 6ft/lbs rule plod will come down on you like a ton of bricks and a pistol with an excessively long barrel will attract attention. I have enough problems with the Smith & Wesson 686 when I'm not in the local area.

The problem you are up against is that if you go over the prescribed limits you no longer have an air weapon. You have a weapon licenceable under the firearms regulations. It makes no difference if that is the 12ft/lbs rule or the 6ft/lbs rule.
    Now when I say no difference I am not being strictly accurate because a pistol over 6ft/lbs is a handgun and there is NO legal way to own a handgun in the UK. Your rifle conversion is still classed as a pistol by the manufacturer so it becomes a handgun.

The best thing you can do is to get a carbine of some description.
    Or you could scratch build one. This is not illegal providing the power regulations are adhered too.
    Target Bunny

The best thing you can do is to get a carbine of some description.
    Or you could scratch build one. This is not illegal providing the power regulations are adhered too.
    Target Bunny

this seems the way forward i think mate....was only askin the question because the falcon pistol was going cheap my way......will very much look in to making one tho of some description...cheers any way for the comments...

Hayesman
    When you've done it post pictures.
    Target Bunny

Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    there is NO legal way to own a handgun in the UK.
    Came across a 9mm Beretta 92 series recently, restricted capacity Sec.1 compliant. These do exist for humane dispatch but are something of a dead duck otherwise. I seem to remember being informed their one of the most awkward firearms to apply for, even more so than .410 shot pistols.

High powered air pistols were licensed in a similar vain at one time, but something has apparently changed there too. Again I've come across them on ticket in the past.

None of these are worth the effort in my opinion; their carefully restricted to one rather mundane chore.