Thread: Webley Hurricane .177-Scope

elgremlino Guest

Smile Webley Hurricane .177-Scope

Ok, well I've recently aquired a Webley Hurricane from my Dad, it's one of the old ones, it's guarantee was filled out in 1977, so at 31 years old i'd say the fact that it still fires well is pretty legendary...
    Anyway basically, it doesn't have a scope, and im just wondering what kind of scope would be suitable for it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi, this appears to be your first message so welcome to the BBS. Webley Hurricanes and Tempests are pretty much universally loved, because they are a nice simple design and feel and look good. They are also great for plinking, though for serious target shooting I don't think anyone would bother.

Back in the 70s and 80s the type of scope for this pistol would have been between 1x and 2x and most importantly an eyepiece which can be viewed at arms length rather than just a few inches, as is the case with rifle scopes. You may think what is the point in such a low magnification? The function of this scope is to provide you with cross hairs as an aiming site, not to magnify the image. Any more than 2x mag and the image dances around so much when held at arms length that it is impossible to aim.

Now adays, most people use a red dot sight (or use the open sights). A red dot sight is not the same as a laser, a red dot sight uses an LED and some very simple optics to superimpose a red dot on the target when viewed through the sight. The magnification is usually 1x (i.e none). I have only used a cheap one (GBP12.00) and it is great fun on a pistol. You can buy more expensive ones but I think a cheap one will be as accurate as your pistol.

From a practical point of view I would recomend either the existing open sights or a cheap red dot sight. If you want to be historically accurate I am sure you can find a pistol scope on an auction site or by putting an advert in the wanted section on this bbs.

Dave

elgremlino Guest

Thanks

Thanks for that, I find using the existing sights a challenge, but I guess it would be well worth learning how to use them.
    Although they are currently set up for my Dads eyes, who despite having poor eyesight can hit the same spot on a can again an again, I'll have to adjust them for my eyes though, being a lefty, im left eye dominant!
    Thanks for gettin back to me!

I have 5 red dot sights and they do make using a pistol accurately much easier but I've taken them off all but my 2240 to try and get used to shooting iron sights for match targets...it's an uphill struggle...
    Eric.

The Hurricane sight picture is better than my Tempest. I think you said it best-your dad has no problem delivering the goods with the gun so get some practice in so he doesn't keep showing you up!
    Webley Vulcan .22, Webley Tempest .177, Beeman Kodiak .25, Beeman R9 .177, Weihrauch HW30 .177, Slavia 618 .177, Colt Commander .45ACP, Browning Hi-Power 9mm, Bushmaster AR-15 5.56/.223

elgremlino Guest
    Yehr good thing with the existing sights, is that they have numbers, so if I write down the numbers at the moment, then we can change back and forwards,
    oh any tips on how to best get the focus right for my eyes?

When looking through the sights, align the top of the foresight with the rearsight, equal amounts of light either side of the foresight blade. When you superimpose the sights on the target, the foresight is kept in focus and the target is blurred.
    Webley Vulcan .22, Webley Tempest .177, Beeman Kodiak .25, Beeman R9 .177, Weihrauch HW30 .177, Slavia 618 .177, Colt Commander .45ACP, Browning Hi-Power 9mm, Bushmaster AR-15 5.56/.223

Webley sights

Hi Guys
    So far no one has mentioned that he'll need the extension for the sights to fit a scope or red dot. Even if he fits a triggerguard laser he'll need a scope to see the dot in anything like normal daylight. Mind you mine is great for potting rats or pigeons in a barn.
    It should look something like this with the extension and a Hawke 30 red dot.
    http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...icanesmall.jpg
    Also he is a leftie and that thumb grip can not be good news.
    Does anyone know if you can get left hand grips?
    Nevertheless have fun elgremlino.
    JIm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beeman make wooden "combat grips" which are ambidextrous, I have a pair fitted to my Tempest as I suffer the affliction of beig left handed!

Eye dominance

Quote Originally Posted by elgremlino View Post
    Thanks for that, I find using the existing sights a challenge, but I guess it would be well worth learning how to use them.
    Although they are currently set up for my Dads eyes, who despite having poor eyesight can hit the same spot on a can again an again, I'll have to adjust them for my eyes though, being a lefty, im left eye dominant!
    Thanks for gettin back to me!
    Am I not normal then
    I am right handed, but tend to shoot pistols using my left eye.
    when I shoot rifles with scope, I use my right eye

Ummmm........ something else for me to think about. Any EYEdeas guys

Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Sniper View Post
    Am I not normal then
    That's right Tony your not normal.

Jason
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    Hi Guys
    So far no one has mentioned that he'll need the extension for the sights to fit a scope or red dot.
    He has one Jim it's in the photo.

Jason
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the

Hi elgremlino, and welcome to the bbs. thats a very nice Hurricane you have there, keep with the iron sights, once you have mastered them, then move onto the scope, red-dots and lasers, don't run before you can walk. there's also something satisfying about landing that perfect shot with open sights, trust me you will see what i mean after some practise.

Jason

Ps if you ever want to sell it give me a yell

Extension

Hi Cookie
    Ooops
    Mind you, I love that original box.
    Jim