Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol n00b.

Pistol n00b.

Still only a rifle n00b really, only fired about 200 shots! But like the idea of a pistol for plinking and targets (will hopefully be using the rifle to hunt when I'm good enough).

So, basics, can you get spring and PCP and O2 pistols? What's best? Same theory as rifles only smaller? What's best for a beginner? .177 or .22?

Is there a generally accepted setup? Open sights OK or does everyone use clever lasers and stuff? Do you have wrist braces and bits or is it OK to hold it 'gansta' style?

6 ftlb is the limit isn't it? Can anyone give me a few names of pistols to look out for - I have no idea what makes and models do what!!
    Trev, car mad, rifle idiot.
    Got my first rifle - Webley Stingray .22 with 4x32 mil-dot.
    And I can get a 5.5mm group at 50m (with 1 shot).

Quote Originally Posted by tbourner View Post
    So, basics, can you get spring and PCP and O2 pistols? What's best? Same theory as rifles only smaller? What's best for a beginner? .177 or .22?

Is there a generally accepted setup? Open sights OK or does everyone use clever lasers and stuff? Do you have wrist braces and bits or is it OK to hold it 'gansta' style?

6 ftlb is the limit isn't it? Can anyone give me a few names of pistols to look out for - I have no idea what makes and models do what!!
    firstly spring is best as its self contained and no extra running costs,pcp is good but you need charging gear which costs at least £100-150,co2 is ok but inconsistent and pricy if you shoot alot.

limit is 6ft.lbs. and good idea to give us an idea of your budget so we can offer more advice.

Ooh good point, at the moment I'm not sure but it won't be a lot, what sort of price do they go for? Ideally about £50 but I'm probably going to run into the problems I would have found if I'd bought the £32 rifle!!
    Had a budget of £150 for the rifle, I won't get the same allowance from the missus for a pistol though - might be a long wait!
    Trev, car mad, rifle idiot.
    Got my first rifle - Webley Stingray .22 with 4x32 mil-dot.
    And I can get a 5.5mm group at 50m (with 1 shot).

Renegade Master is offline They mostly come at night, mostly
    [QUOTE=tbourner;2632243]Ideally about £50 QUOTE]

Gat Gun?

Seriously, for that sort of money you will probably be looking at a 2nd hand
    Co2 or springer. Keep your eyes on the sales section, some bargains do come up. I bought a Desert Eagle Co2 here for £40, so bargains are there if you are quick enough.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_J View Post
    You wont get much for that budget. Look for a good secondhand Crosman 2240 or EB22 if going for co2, You might get a secondhand HW70 for that budget. If you want power, forget the replica umarex pistols. I recently painted a target on some white wet bog paper and the pellet couldn't penetrate it. (under powered see.)

My recommendation: A crosman 2240 for co2, or a HW70 springer for your budget.
    Musn't forget the good old single stroke pneumatic.....a new Beeman 2004 is around the £70 mark...Chinese of course so better to go for the original...Weihrauch HW40. These can be picked up for the same price second hand as a new Beeman but of course are as common as rocking horse excrement...
    Eric.

I got a lovely Webley Nemesis in .177 on here for about £50 (if I remember right), great gun, even prefer shooting it to my Gamo Compact

Quote Originally Posted by eredel View Post
    Musn't forget the good old single stroke pneumatic.....a new Beeman 2004 is around the £70 mark...Chinese of course so better to go for the original...Weihrauch HW40. These can be picked up for the same price second hand as a new Beeman but of course are as common as rocking horse excrement...
    Eric.
    Lets not forget the good old Beeman P3 which is exactly the same gun as the HW40, wouldn't recommend the Beeman 2004e suffer's from leaking seals after a short while.

All the Umarex Co2 Pistols (Walther CP88, Walther CP99, Smith & Wesson 586,Beretta 92 Fs, Colt Government 1911 A1) are all great fun, they will all shoot Card targets at 10m quite happily, though not as accurate as the HW40/45, Beeman P3, Gamo Compact, etc and you can pick up 2nd hand ones for around £60-80 on a good day.

Jason

.......__________________________
    ....../'---__________--__________l] - >
    ...../_==o;;;;;;;________.:/
    ......),--(_(__)/
    .....),--(..)),
    ...//___//
    ..//___//
    .//___/

One Life. One Shot. Make it Count.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Have a look at the The Air pistols picture thread in this section to get an ideal what they all look like.

Don't mention Umarex to Andy J he starts to shake and foam at the mouth.

Jason

.......__________________________
    ....../'---__________--__________l] - >
    ...../_==o;;;;;;;________.:/
    ......),--(_(__)/
    .....),--(..)),
    ...//___//
    ..//___//
    .//___/

One Life. One Shot. Make it Count.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the

If you want power, forget the replica umarex pistols. I recently painted a target on some white wet bog paper and the pellet couldn't penetrate it.
    Andy - biased? no, course not....

Just started myself mate, got a Sheridan EB22 new for £115.oo to start with - co2, 2 weeks ago. Nice starter pistol.

Just got my Gamo Compact off Eredel on here for a "bit" less than that - single stroke pneumatic, absolutely cracking pistol (to a newbie like me)

It really is horses for courses, I would suggest getting something like a Walther PPK for plinking, to see if you like it. (about £75 new). Then you can decide if its your bag.

Look around this forum for makes and models, then punch 'em into Google, have a look and check out any reviews.

Be warned!!!!!! Its addictive.... I feel another coming on....

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

If you are going to have only one air pistol, it has to be a second hand webley tempest.

You know it makes sense.

The other day, my nephew shot me by accident with a Umarex CP88. I didn't notice. Never felt a thing.
    It was no accident!!!.....I paid him to do it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
    Andy - biased? no, course not....
    The other day, my nephew shot me by accident with a Umarex CP88. I didn't notice. Never felt a thing.
    Andy is really a Rhino this is why he didn't feel a thing

Where's Scott, Surely he wouldn't stand for comment like that about he beloved CP88's

I think Andy is a Secret Umarex User, He seems to know a lot about this so called under powered pistols

The cp88 is the finest pistol known to man,don't deny it.Great looks,handling and power aplenty.

There you go,bit of profile.Sorry,not being sarcastic, the cp88 does what it does rather well.I have lost count of the various pistols i have had over the years but will say the choice now is fantastic,and long may it be so.

I have had em all. I have owned a cp88, colt 1911, S&w 6", RWS C225, ANICS A3000, Barretta 92s to name a few over the years. But when I tried a real air pistol, it all changed. No longer did I have trouble shooting paper targets with the pellet not bursting through the target card, now I pistols that ripped through pellet tins and could blow an action mans head clean off.
    still got your action man then andy