Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pistol n00b.

Lack of accuracy (for a beginner) with a spring pistol may put you off the game.
    The Umarex CO2 are cheap enough to run if you buy your CO2 in bulk, but apart from the S & W 6" & 8", accuracy isn't very good and neither are the triggers (another problem for a beginner).
    For a cheap, accurate pistol, get a Gamo PR45 or if you can stretch the budget further, a Gamo Compact. A Compact is capable of getting you well up in any club level 10m competition. When your average is over, say 85, decide which way you want to go and take your time getting the best gun for you.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    Lack of accuracy (for a beginner) with a spring pistol may put you off the game.
    The Umarex CO2 are cheap enough to run if you buy your CO2 in bulk, but apart from the S & W 6" & 8", accuracy isn't very good and neither are the triggers (another problem for a beginner).
    For a cheap, accurate pistol, get a Gamo PR45 or if you can stretch the budget further, a Gamo Compact. A Compact is capable of getting you well up in any club level 10m competition. When your average is over, say 85, decide which way you want to go and take your time getting the best gun for you.
    What's the weight of a Gamo Compact? I have a Beeman P3 (same pistol as the HW 40) and I find it's too light and too muzzle-light for me to be able to hold it steady.

I'm going to move up to something better but I don't want to buy a second pistol only to find that I have the same problem with it.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    What's the weight of a Gamo Compact? I have a Beeman P3 (same pistol as the HW 40) and I find it's too light and too muzzle-light for me to be able to hold it steady.

I'm going to move up to something better but I don't want to buy a second pistol only to find that I have the same problem with it.

Jim
    Hi Jim, the Gamo is just over 900g (2lbs) against your P3 which is just over 800g (1.7lbs). not sure how the gamo is muzzle wise, it was a while back i shot one, remember it being accurate even with me using it, but didn't like the grips.

Jason
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

You can add weight in the space under the muzzle of the Gamo (P45 or Compact). Adding weight to a pistol is easy; removing it is hard, if it is too heavy or the balance is not right for you.

Have a look at:
    http://www.postcardfromspain.com/airgunclub.htm

Nige has some good Gamo info on there.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.