Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Power

Question Pistol Power

Hi chaps. not posted for a while as have had a rough month, plus preparing for my first hft comp.
    Any way's, was purchasing a hw45 but couldn't due too money boss saying NO!
    I have been looking round the net at different pistols and have noticed something. The pistols that catch my attention nearly always end up being Co2 multi-shots. The thing that always halts my interest is the fact that these guns only ever seem to have very low power levels. I believe the 2240 is Co2 and as near as dam it, full power. So why can't I find a full power multi-shot?

Pistol power.

I think it's because all these replicas use some kind of magazine that has to revolve to index each pellet and so a lot of co2 is lost on every shot as the fit between magazine and breach is not that good.The skiff has a bit more whack due to the inline mag,but that brings its own problems pf erratic feed.For the price they are as good as can be expected,pay 3 or 4 times as much and things improve somewhat.

For (nearly) the same price as a new HW45 you could get a second hand DU10 on here. Not quite the same as you are talking about but more powerful than an umarex thingie anyway.

You're quite right about the power levels. I have a Umarex 8 shot type (Walther CP88) which puts out about 2 fpe. I also have a Crossman 2240 which puts out 5.25 fpe in .22 calibre. My Walther is the 4" barrel version - I'm pretty sure you'd get more poke from the 6" version, but I've never had the opportunity to test one. Another factor you may want to bear in mind is the number of shots. I can easily get 80 shots per CO2 capsule from my Walther, but only half that from the Crossman. More importantly though (to me anyway) is that the Crossman is surprisingly accurate, whereas the Walther is much less so; more about rapid fire at tin cans!

Lightbulb

You could always put a 'repeating' breech on a 2240

http://www.bryanandac.com/new_page_5.htm

HIH
    Pete.
    Last edited by PALADIN; 20-04-2008 at 02:35 PM.

You could always go down the PCP route

A Falcon raptor FN8 is multi shot and is 6 FPE.

And one advantage with PCP is there is no change in power with the ambient temperature.

My 2240 and 2250 drop 1 FPE with every 8 deg C.

And the drop in power is worse if you shoot quickly.

Of course the power in a repeater will drop hugely if you fire off a magazine quickly.

So this a big advantage of buying a pcp repeater.

Of course you pick up a new 2240 for about a third of the price of a raptor.
    And there is charging equipment to buy.
    Crosman 2240
    Crosman 2250
    Webley Stingray .22
    BSA Lightning .177
    Weihrauch HW45 .177
    Falcon FN8-PG .22
    Chinese Air Rifle .177

Get a Rohm Twinmaster top if you want a PCP multi shot at a reasonable price. Can be tuned to over the legal limit if you were silly enough. Mine is set at 5.7ft lb with 8.4 JSB, ideal for the type of HFT we do at Ford. Mine is single shot.
    Daystate Mk4 Sport Falcon Menace 4-14x44 FFP, Twinmaster Sport Simmons 1.5-5x20, HW40 Bushnell Trophy Red Dot.

Pistol Power

Hang on guys, my only rifle is a QB78 bought to take care of a backyard rat/mouse problem caused by next doors Aviary.

The guy keeps it spotless but we still get a plauge of vermin & cats.

So the QB78 at under 6ft/pounds was a good compromise. My pistols would be more sporting but I want clean kills. Imagine my shock and horror
    when I discovered that it's not only possible to tune one of these things but the problem is keeping it BELOW 12ft/pounds and it's a simple technique.
    I have no doubt that it will be possible to up the power of most CO2 pistols using the same methods so why are we all moaning about low power?
    I have not tried any uprating since I do not have a chrono and this is a vital piece of kit if you are going to mess with the power output. As soon as I get a chrono (anyone out there got a flying pig smiley?) I'll have a go but it Wont be any time soon.

Jim

Mea imperare! Sputum facere tu felix laetitiam? Processus! Sputum fabricati diem.
    Last edited by Target Bunny; 02-07-2008 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Insetrt Quote
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    I have no doubt that it will be possible to up the power of most CO2 pistols using the same methods so why are we all moaning about low power?
    Having no doubt does not mean you're right. The Umarex pistols simply cannot be uprated any meaningful amount.

Umarex upgrade

Hi Snapshot
    OK it will not necessarily be simple.

However I would be interested to know why the Umarex can not be uprated by any meaningfull ammount.

As a hydraulic and pneumatic fitter I accept that there may be an inbuilt design specification which does prevent uprating, such as the size of the resevoir which provides the regulated fluid release being fixed as a machined or cast component. However my old Daisy powerline and the QB78 can both be uprated by increasing the open time of the release valve thereby increasing the volume of fluid released. There are at least three ways to do this without major modification but since I never had a need to do it I have not done so. The QB78 is so straightforward that the guy writing the article specifically emailed me warning that the second part of the upgrade would take it over the legal limit.

So I would like to hear from any Umarex experts or power tuners as to the reason for the inabiity to uprate these pistols.

Regards
    Jim

Mea imperare! Sputum facere tu felix laetitiam? Processus! Sputum fabricati diem.
    Last edited by Target Bunny; 02-07-2008 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Insert Quote
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

There is a way to increase the foot poundage but it limits the life of the pistol and also adversely effects accuracy. Basically you have to throw the gun...

Quote Originally Posted by jtw000 View Post
    Basically you have to throw the gun...
    LOL

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

Pistol

In my opion the Umarex pistols are a waste of time and money, poorly made, not very accurate and lacking in power.

I suggest you look at the Crosman 2240 if you want something under £100

Or the 'tuned' Rohm is a good idea but double the price.

See my replyon pistol choice for more regarding buying Crosmans

All the best

Ian
    http://www.dukinfieldagc.org.uk/
    Dukinfield Air Gun Club
    Stockfield Mill, Chadderton, OL9 9EW

I had a S&W, power was crap but quite accurate. Never thought of upping the power because IMO it would reduce the amount of shots per bulb making it more expensive to run.
    John
    I Wear my Badge I have my Voice Proud to be a BASC Member

Quote Originally Posted by tayloriand View Post
    In my opion the Umarex pistols are a waste of time and money, poorly made, not very accurate and lacking in power.

I suggest you look at the Crosman 2240 if you want something under £100

Or the 'tuned' Rohm is a good idea but double the price.

See my replyon pistol choice for more regarding buying Crosmans

All the best

Ian

I've had countless thousands of shots through my S&W and its never jammed leaked or had any problem in the years I've owned it. Poorly made? You sure you've owned one or even seen one? Mine has a nice weight to it and the trigger for the type of gun is spot on. They are not full power guns nor are they tinkerers guns. They are however great fun to own and use.

The base crossman 2240 isn't the best and is generally accepted to be a tinkerers gun, really the equivalent of a QB78. Lots of upgrades to do or to buy and add to the gun. Or buy Crooked Barn if you want something ready made.

And as said multi shot and full power comes at a price.