Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breech Lug Part For Fwb Sport?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Breech Lug Part For Fwb Sport?

My Sport has a fine lock-up, but what about the future? I have dared to e-mail Mr Jim Maccari about where the splined breech lug might be sourced from, pending his reply, is there anywhere they might be obtained? Garvin mentioned that some people have 'built their lugs up with weld' (yeuch!) but this didn't sound a very satisfactory solution.

Perhaps the design can be changed to more of a 'BSA' one, with a transverse bar across the breech forming the locking point agains the ball-bearing breechbolt. This would need some drilling and a hardened steel pin putting in.

I just read in an old copy of SAR about replacing the lug because of wear, if there aren't any spares, then what are FWB owners going to do? Run around with their barrels flopping up and down like the ears on a drunken Doberman?

The future might have to be THIS.

Question worn

to be honest i have never seen a worn one, that ball bearing running over it when you cock it would take a long time to wear it if it is lubricated .i have seen hw 35 s with the breech face worn by the catch but that is a sliding motion .on the sport the ball rolls over that lug

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    I owned an early FWB sport bought from Ernie greenberg at Alexandra guns in 77 £60 brand new! It had a slightly droopy barrel from new. after a while i fixed it by dressing the breech block down where it rests onto the top of the splined locking piece, this left the lock up a bit loose so the splined piece was carefully prized out and shimmed with a thin washer. Result was perfect lock up, i suspect the same could be done with a worn one? it is still good today my Dad has the rifle but i have served notice i want it back next time i see him!

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    to be honest i have never seen a worn one, that ball bearing running over it when you cock it would take a long time to wear it if it is lubricated .i have seen hw 35 s with the breech face worn by the catch but that is a sliding motion .on the sport the ball rolls over that lug
    Yes they do wear out I'm afraid, two of mine have been rebuilt. I know rebuilding with weld sounds crude but if it's re-machined properly you can't tell it's been done. It's a very good, hard wearing solution to the problem. IMO much neater and less detracting than adding new pins.

ATB

Richard

Unhappy one more thing to worry about

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBuzz View Post
    Yes they do wear out I'm afraid, two of mine have been rebuilt. I know rebuilding with weld sounds crude but if it's re-machined properly you can't tell it's been done. It's a very good, hard wearing solution to the problem. IMO much neater and less detracting than adding new pins.

ATB

Richard
    i will have to keep an eye on mine then but they all seem tight

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Thanks chaps, so there are some solutions out there. Mr Maccari says that the part rarely wears, if it does it will do so quickly (i.e. a because that particular one is a duff part), and that he deals with normal wear by shimming it.

RustyBuzz probably simply wore his out by putting millions of pellets through his gun!

Danny, the overbarrel breech-lock is the ultimate solution but knowing me I would overtighten it and cause other problems...

I didn't know weld was that hard, if it does the trick it does the trick.

Cool no probs then

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Thanks chaps, so there are some solutions out there. Mr Maccari says that the part rarely wears, if it does it will do so quickly (i.e. a because that particular one is a duff part), and that he deals with normal wear by shimming it.

RustyBuzz probably simply wore his out by putting millions of pellets through his gun!

Danny, the overbarrel breech-lock is the ultimate solution but knowing me I would overtighten it and cause other problems...

weld can be very hard in fact stellite rods are the "chuck norris" of welding .none of my sports look even the slightest bit worn at that point (whew) but like you say its good to know there are solutions out there. and danny dont worry dave has decided to leave the lock on his for the time being as he has no whizzer disks left .used the last one shortening the barrel he he he

Oh so true

An overbarrel breechlock is the ultimate solution. John Bowkett used to make and fit them but I do not know if anyone is still making them.

Hi Alistair

we often get mould tool components in glass hard H13 steel rebuilt using laser welding, very clean, you put the metal exactly where you want it to the depth you want, low heat stress, once machined and polished you cant tell its been done, they can use the same steel to fill the weld as the component.

We use company below:-

http://www.carrswelding.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by nutbushuk View Post
    Hi Alistair

we often get mould tool components in glass hard H13 steel rebuilt using laser welding, very clean, you put the metal exactly where you want it to the depth you want, low heat stress, once machined and polished you cant tell its been done, they can use the same steel to fill the weld as the component.

We use company below:-

http://www.carrswelding.co.uk/

Cool! Thats the 21st Century answer to a design fault originating in the late 1960s ...

Thumbs down noooo

Cool! Thats the 21st Century answer to a design fault originating in the late 1960s ...
    what you talkin bout willis (fwb sports dont have design faults)they is perfict

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    what you talkin bout willis (fwb sports dont have design faults)they is perfict
    They are excellent, but not perfect. Otherwise this thread would not exist! If they used the breech-lock from the BSA (very understressed, massive unit) and had a trigger like the HW Rekord, they would be perfect.

I am only talking about the Feinwerkbau Sport here, the 300S and the 65/80 pistols ARE perfect.

Smile remember

They are excellent, but not perfect. Otherwise this thread would not exist! If they used the breech-lock from the BSA (very understressed, massive unit) and had a trigger like the HW Rekord, they would be perfect.

I am only talking about the Feinwerkbau Sport here, the 300S and the 65/80 pistols ARE perfect.
    this thread is here because your sports lock up is ok (you said that) but you are worried that one day it (might) not be