Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leupold Vxiii 4.5-14x40 Varmint Ret. (1 Inch Tube, Front Pa)

kieran turner is offline I GOT SHOT......IN THE BUTTOCKS

Leupold Vxiii 4.5-14x40 Varmint Ret. (1 Inch Tube, Front Pa)

Well I'm bored so need something to before the footy comes on.

Well where shall I begin, the beginning maybe!

I bought my own personal Leupold VXIII a good few months back for the purposes of use in HFT. Those of you familiar with the Leupold VXIII range will know they also do this particular scope with a 30mm tube and sidewheel focus(PA) but I opted for this particular model which boasts front PA and the smaller 1 inch tube as oposed to the former due to the lighter overall weight. Also there is no need to reparallax this scope unlike the latter(not really an issue) as it's minimum focuus range is marked up as 25y, but it will actually go to 18 y! This I don't find an inconvenience at all as the scope stays on the same settings anyway but some of you may find it a pain when used for a diffeent purpose but I can't see how.

I payed IMO quite alot of money for this scope but it was imported so it was a hell of alot cheaper than buying here but a small sum all the same. I can hear alot of now saying why the hell pay alot of money for a scope when a cheaper one will serve the same purpose. Well to those people I would say you are completley wrong! True they will do the same function but the Leupold will do it in STYLE!

I am now going to use an old cliche and that is 'you get what you pay for' and this is definitley applies to this scope. First of all you get Leupold build quality, that is worth it's weight in gold! I have had no other scope that is as reliable and trustworthy as this scope, and for those of you who do know me will know I hardly EVER say this(becuase yes I am a fussy git when it comes to this sort of thing).

You also get the optical quality of a Leupold! Which in a word is astounding, true there are scopes out there that are optically better than Leupolds but they leave your wallet feeling like it has been gang raped by a bunch of baboons I cannot describe to you the clarity of this scope all I can say seeing is believing and boy you can see, and see in style!

Another stylish feature of this scope is something alot of people don't make note of, that is the turrets. They subtley blend in with the elegant lines of the scope, they don't stand what seems like 3 iches above the tube but just seem to blend in with the rest of the scope. Under theses turret caps are the most positive turrets I have yet to use! Each click feels positive and sharp, each abrupt click moves the cross hair 1/4 MOA at 100y which once again it does in style!

Well seen as I have mentioned the cross hair I might as well go into a bit more detail about. It's a varmint ret. Now that doesn't mean it has a ground hog as a cross hair. It is very similar to a ballistic ret. and is hard to describe so here's a picture it's the 4th one down.
    You find it? Looks good doesn't it! Well IMO compared to the standard mildot reticle that is now the standard ret. of choice in HFT I would say it is better! I find it more precise in wind because the lines continue across the ret. you aren't constantley mentally lining up mildots on the the vertical and horizontal cross hair, you have a line to use instead so you don't get lost so to speak.

You may also of noticed there isn't any markings above the the main cross hair unlike mildot. To some this may pose a problem as they have nothing to use as a guide. Well I personally use the kill zones as a measurement to aim under neath. For example with my rifle/scope/pellet combo I need to aim 9mm below the centre of the kill zone at 20y. So when I come up against a 15mm kill at that distance on course i simply place to cross hair 2mm outsde the bottom of the kill zone, no mildots no messing! The target should go down(emphasis on should).

Another thing that is key to HFT especially on the devious little mini kills or like the ones at Anston FTC mini mini kills is parallax error! To those of you who don't know of the evil phantom that is parallax error here it is. Still none the wiser. Well basically in HFT terms it is when move your head from the same position as you zeroed it which causes an apparent shift in zero. So basically it is when there is a small head movement off the centre of the cross hair but still maintaining a full sight picture. Well like all scopes used in HFT this scope does get parallax error, not alot but does suffer from it.

Well I'll sum this scope in one word and that is quality, this scope ouzes quality! Everything about it ouzes of it, even the gold box it comes is a touch of class!

Thanks for reading.[/
    Last edited by kieran turner; 28-04-2007 at 04:32 PM.

top review mate, i have one of these and they are the dogs
    ford focus. 133bhp 262ft/ib of torque
    anshutz 8002
    RIVINGTON RIFLEMEN & WENDOVER FTC

ok kieran i might not have your poetic tone but at least people know what i think (like it a lot)

you got an s400 now keiran???
    Last edited by ross H; 28-04-2007 at 08:24 PM.
    anshutz 8002

though it would be nice to have a review in the review section too!

Quote Originally Posted by kieranhw100 View Post
    though it would be nice to have a review in the review section too!
    ouch that hurt my feelings kieran do you my "its the muts nuts doesnt class as a review"
    anshutz 8002

Quote Originally Posted by ross H View Post
    ouch that hurt my feelings kieran do you my "its the muts nuts doesnt class as a review"
    well you suffern shandy drinkers are about as literate a chinese parrot! Down sowf ' the dogs ' is classed as literary masterpiece

well you suffern shandy drinkers are about as literate a chinese parrot! Down sowf ' the dogs ' is classed as literary masterpiece
    anshutz 8002

Hi Kieran,

Nice review
    B.A.S.C | HW100Tuning KT250bar+reg+tune .177+4-16x50 | HW95.177 +4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune | TX200HC.22 + 4-16x44 | HW97KT.22 + 4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune

Just 2 questions:-

How much?

Where from?

Cheers

Derek
    Daystate Merlyn LE#12+Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 MC
    AA400 carbine, Zeiler 8-32x44
    Swallows FTC. 'darn 'sarf..

Have the 30mm tube side focus version of this, and agree these are terrific scopes.

Good review Kieran.

See the prices have dropped since we purchased them, may have to get a second one.

Down sowf, ' the dogs ' is classed as literary masterpiece
    Not altogether sure about that, but I did like "they leave your wallet feeling like it has been gang raped by a bunch of baboons".

Nice review, I'm off to the States next month and was considering looking at the 30mm version, so I'll now consider the 25mm as well. Especially as they are a lot cheaper!
    Noli illigitimi carborundum.

You can see my 30mm baby any time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by princewizard View Post
    You can see my 30mm baby any time!!!
    Bring it along tomorrow night please Alex.

P.S. Essex and London start with Capital Letters!
    Noli illigitimi carborundum.