Thread: Airsporter Age Help

Smile Airsporter Age Help

I've been given an airsporter serial num gj13434 does anyone know the year of manufacture,have just stripped it piston was stuck in cylinder got it out but the spacer underneath the piston head has totally disentegrated,it has a metal o ring and a rubber o ring,can you get the spacer and whats the best way of tuning this up,not for silly power 11 fpe would be nice but smooth to cock fire etc,also what would be it's value good condition but a bit of surface rust etc,any help much appreciated,thanks Mark.

Airsporter

Using my "Hiller Air Rifles" book, it looks like a Mk5 0.22 cal. 1971-1974.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply,appreciated Mark.

airsporter

Hi Mark
    The spacer that you say has disintegrated is a common problem with the airsporter. It is actually a buffer and you will need a replacement
    It is also prudent to fit a new piston head (made of alloy) as the old nylon/plastic head ages and can seize in the cylinder. The new alloy head should come with a new 'O' ring
    The .22 airsporter is a 10 ft lb rifle unless you have a really good one. So expect velocities of 540 - 600 ft/sec depending on weight of pellet
    Suppliers of the new parts are:
    Chambers
    T Robb who can also supply a steel head to 'up' the power(this may not work)
    John Knibbs
    Ask the piston head supplier for the moly-grease to lubricate the parts (sparingly) before re-assembly
    Heads cost about £10 and so does a new spring. If you replace the spring, do-not be tempted to fit a non standard high power one, particularly a square section spring. This usually brings the power down and makes the gun horrible to shoot and will wreck the gun. Just stick to standard spring
    Good luck
    john
    hold me back !!

Tune

Hi,i've resprung it with a standard spring mirror polished the end of the piston and the spring guide,greased with moly,i made a buffer plate out of some dense rubber cut and sanded flat,the airsporter shoots lovely,quick locktime and nice and smooth,shame i hav'nt got a chrono it would be nice to see whats it's running at,thanks for all the replies,Mark.