Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winchester SX3

Winchester SX3

My main sport is practical shotgun (PSG), which can be simply described as “Shoot fast, don’t miss”. So for this I need a quick, and extremely reliable semi-auto shotgun. I spent a year shooting a Winchester SX2 (the predecessor of the SX3) which I borrowed off a friend, and at the time it was the best semi-auto I had ever shot, until I got my new SX3.

The SX2 was a brilliant shotgun, but somehow Winchester have improved an already proven gun, and created the SX3, which is marketed as “The fastest shotgun in the world,” having broken records, by shooting 12rds in 1.442 seconds, which is almost unbelievably fast for a semi auto.

The SX3 I have is the 3 1/2” Magnum synthetic model, with a +5 Nordic tube (a Section 1 shotgun, which holds 10rds). In my opinion the shotgun is incredibly pretty in this format, with the dark grey receiver/barrel, matte black stock with the angular lines, and the bright red streaks and logos. The SX3 is also exceedingly light for what it is. My gun, with the extended magazine tube, weighs in at a shade over 7lbs, which is a few ounces lighter than a Benelli M2 of the same spec, and considerably lighter than an 11-87 or Beretta.

When it comes to shooting the shotgun, it doesn’t disappoint. The mechanism works using both gas, and inertia. The gas parts under the forend unlock the bolt, and fire it back about an inch, and the rest of the work is done by the recoil. This creates an exceptionally reliable mechanism, which doesn’t carry the harsh recoil of an M1/M2, although it is greater than a soft 11-87. I have owned this gun about 4 months now, and shot approximately 700rds, which included a mix of Birdshot, Buckshot, and Solid Slug, and I can honestly say that I have not had a single jam with it to date. It will feed any cartridges (as long as they are 70mm or longer) flawlessly. I predominantly shoot Express Super Game cartridges (32g no.6’s), although I have tested my gun with lighter 28g clay pigeon loads, which also feed reliably.

Since the SX3 has gas parts, it does need regular cleaning. I have always cleaned my gun after every competition, because reliability is vital, however the gun will comfortably do 300 or 400rds without a clean. Due to the nature of the mechanism, there is always a carbon build up, but this is nothing an old toothbrush and some 009 can’t sort out!

In conclusion, I believe the SX3 is the best of the new generation of semi-auto shotguns. It may not have the futuristic mechanism of the Remington 105Cti, the lack of cleaning required of the Benelli M2, or the hefty price tag of a Beretta Xtrema 2, but I believe it is a better gun than all 3 of these. For £700, you get a lightweight, reliable, and lightening fast semi-auto, that will do just about anything you ask of it.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...photos/SX3.jpg
    Last edited by Tyga; 08-04-2008 at 01:26 PM.

nice review mate - thanks for that.

Do you know if it will take a pistol grip stock - or if there's one planned?
    cheers
    Tony

I was thinking Benelli but now you have me thinking about another Winchester stablemate to my 1300 Pump and 6500 O/U......

Is there a 24" model readily available or do you have to step up to 26" ?

Any quirks in loading compared to an M2 ?

TC

You have to chop the barrel & re choke, Steve Pike at Shield has them at £ 950 ready to go with 24" barrel teague chokes & extended mag tube.

cant speak for the x3 but the x2 is a fantastic shottie

I don't know of any spare stocks availiable for it, but it should take a Browning Gold Pistol Grip... Or it should be simple to modify a stock to fit.

They are only availiable in 26" or 28" in the uk, so i had mine chopped to 24" and Teague'd. And then you just want a Nordic tube on the end, and your good to go!

The SX3 is a very simple gun to load. Just shove them in the bottom when the bold is closed, and away you go. It doesn't have the "Cartridge Drop Lever" like on the Benelli, but i have never seen the point of this, and i think it just gets in the way.

The SX2 was an awesome gun, but the SX3 is even better!

You said the gent at Shield is selling the x3 - could you give me his details.

Thanks!

Mick

www.shieldshootingcentre.co.uk but don't get too excited about this particular SX3 as I have bought it for Mrs YVM.

I suspect Steve could do another one

Geoff

which I borrowed off a friend
    Ah acceptance at last into the bosom of friendship - does this mean I can borrow your girlfriends ??

Quote Originally Posted by mike.45 View Post
    Ah acceptance at last into the bosom of friendship - does this mean I can borrow your girlfriends ??
    Only if i can borrow yours Mike

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    Sorry to drag up this old post, but does anyone know who the importer is and if they have a website. Spent 1/2 hr on google and got nowhere.
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

An over Vacuumed cottage in NEWPORT Isle of Wight
    its bwm arms ltd tony.

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    cheers mate
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

one thing you might not know, some cartridges burn real dirty. not only is there fowling but unburnt powder in the barrel / mech.

i used some express in the cold a few months ago. they just wouldnt burn clean at all. they went bang, but the barrel was filthy, flecks of powder everywhere.

as you stated you clean regular, you might not have noticed it (or you used better bangers).
    Good deal, Paramainiac 20-05-07
    Good deal, Snipperuk 11-09-10
    Good deal, Skygrowler 13-10-10

It will feed any cartridges (as long as they are 70mm or longer) flawlessly.

Hi, I know you posted this review a few months ago now but I saw an SX3 for the first time on Sunday at a PSG shoot I took part in and instantly added one to my shopping list, but I was wondering if you have tried any shorter cartridges in it and if so did they cause a problem as I know how fussy some guns can be. I usually shoot Super game High bird 6/32's in my Beretta as they are easily available to me locally but they are only 65mm long, so can you tell me please if you have tried a cartridge of this length and if so, how did you get on?

Many thanks.
    The Hardest Thing in this World.....is to Live in it.