Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Howa - Axiom

No, I'm scoping up the .223 next week and will be using that at the next shoot (May 17th), then will be taking both to the 1100mt. sniper range on 24th.
    Will report back.

Barry

That will be on serial 45? Good fun and out to a decent range Be prepared for 30 or more feet of windage if its blowing a hooley as usual ANd the .223 will probably be a waste of time past 300 fig 11s, mine couldnt knock them right down with 50grners

The Howas triggers can be transformed by careful adjustment and if it feels notchy a simple clean up on the sears and polish they are easily as good as Timney although not quite the same as Jewel
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    That will be on serial 45? Good fun and out to a decent range Be prepared for 30 or more feet of windage if its blowing a hooley as usual ANd the .223 will probably be a waste of time past 300 fig 11s, mine couldnt knock them right down with 50grners

The Howas triggers can be transformed by careful adjustment and if it feels notchy a simple clean up on the sears and polish they are easily as good as Timney although not quite the same as Jewel
    Yes, good ol' 45 In the past I've taken my Speedmaster .223 out to 700mt. with 62 gr. although to be honest it's more luck than judgement at that range. For a laugh I sometimes take my 10/22 and it will (just) put them down at 100, 200 and 300mt.

My triggers feel pretty good at the moment, so I'll just let them bed in.

Barry

My old PSS .308 used to knock them down no problem right out to the furthest (without going up the tower) but had to used the bullet splash in the shingle to judge windage which on some days was a tad extreme, past 400yds I couldnt even see any shingle move from .223

I want to try my 300 WSM on there but I think it may be a bit over the range limit even though the army use 338
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    My old PSS .308 used to knock them down no problem right out to the furthest (without going up the tower) but had to used the bullet splash in the shingle to judge windage which on some days was a tad extreme, past 400yds I couldnt even see any shingle move from .223

I want to try my 300 WSM on there but I think it may be a bit over the range limit even though the army use 338
    Baz,

there's been a lot of to'ing and fro'ing between the range authorities and NRA re muzzle velocities lately, there was talk of .308 being banned!
    Check out Bisley Camp to see what is now allowed.

Barry

There is a very good rumour at the moment that Landmarc have managed to get the ME limit waived at Lydd and Hythe because the back stop of the safety area is, in short, France!

My apologies for the delay in updating my range test.

I took both Howa's to Lydd 2 weeks ago and spent the afternoon on the 1100mt. sniper range, the down side was the weather, winds gusting 30 -50 mph, veering east/west - s. east/n.west. In short piss poor for any degree of accuracy!

The .308 was up first and I started conventionally with target 1 , not much of a challenge, but I was soon out to 500mt., then spent some time trying for 700mt. Got it eventually, at some expenditure of ammo!
    In all honesty, the wind was so strong that the rifle was moving on the shooting rest.

Changing over to the .223 I had as much success, which surprised me. Wind conditions seemed to have a greater effect on the heavier bullets. This was borne out by my 10/22. I took 100, 200 & 300mt. with virtually no holdover, then 400 with half a target elevation.

Sorry I can't give more info on the longer ranges, but it really wasn't a great day for shooting!

Triggers were very good though, light and crisp.

Barry

Barry,

any more updates? Particualrly accuracy; build and reliability. How is the recoil reduction working for you?

Cheers

Accuracy is very good, straight out of the box, at 300mt. I can still put shot after shot on the red disc (weather and my shooting allowing )

Reliability.......no problems other than having to tighten the screws on the Axiom stock. I don't know if this is down to the recoil system or not being tight enough from my supplier. It's something I'll keep an eye on.

Triggers are still light and crisp with no hint of trouble.

Barry

Verminator 66 is offline I Will Never Find Another Ewe

204 howa

Quote Originally Posted by nice one View Post
    bet they are great in 204
    they are put a fox target out 130 yards
    put 3 shots down and the only way you could see the 2nd shot was the way it came out the back of the ply backing
    Cheers would recomend one to any fox shooter

Can I ask what make the muzzle brake/compensator is..I would like one to stick onto mine.

Mike
    If ignorance is bliss why isnt the world full of happy people ??

http://www.phoenixshooters.co.uk/

I thought I'd put my name down for a Howa 1500 .308 with the Knoxx Axiom too. It arrived the other day and I got to take it out for a couple of hours.

It's a smart looking bit of kit and I'm very, very happy with the way it performs.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/518...thknoxx007.jpg

I'm just waiting for Legacy to deliver the much needed retro-fit removable magazine housing for the Howa, and with my PMII, I figure I'll have the best kit I can get for the money (that means not spending £10k+ for RPA-type goodies).

At a later date, I may also opt for a fluted barrel to go with it.