Thread: Gun Polish For Collectable Air Guns

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

Thumbs up Gun Polish For Collectable Air Guns

Not really sure how to go about this as yes, it is a (sort of) review, but it's not a gun review so thought I'd stick it here as is going to be short anyway . As with us all, am always wanting my collectables to look the best they can. To this end, have tried many an oil and wood polish over the years with good levels of success, but recently wanted to try and up the anti so got hold of a bottle of gun metal and wood polish off BBS member (and Good Guy) william (one of the many gun-care products he sells). When the polish arrived, went to work on my BSA Breakdown model to see how it did ... At first I couldn't get anything like a good sheen, so a little dismayed I had a think and gave the rifle a light rub over with meths (and I mean light), let it air dry (in the garden ) and tried again. This time was knocked bandy by the results (as Del Boy would say ). Three well rubbed-in coats over three days and the blue and wood have come up so well that had the rifle looked this good when I bought it I'd've happily paid an extra £30+ . So there you go, said my bit, and if you want to try it for yourself (strongly recommend you do) track down william and get yourself a bottle: Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Does he sell it as a shower-gel?

Seriously though I will buy some for my 'gun greases and oils' box directly ...

Hi Gareth,
    Sounds great, I can see you were cautious with it, but I would leave the meths completely out of the job - When we were teenagers, I watched a mate of mine strip a hundred years of fine patina off his dads 12 bore hammer gun stock by rubbing it over with meths. It was a really good quality English gun, with a beautifully figured stock, cased with an an extra set of barrels. It ended up with a very nasty flat coloured stock, that needed completely redoing.

Cheers Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post

Hi Gareth,

Sounds great, I can see you were cautious with it, but I would leave the meths completely out of the job.

Cheers Morgan
    Hi Morgan, good to hear form you again and hope all is well with you and yours ... Thanks big time for that tip, you are right, what a numb-nut I was, and what a lucky escape I had too. Therefore, to all reading this thread, please disregard the suggestion of a light rub with meths on a cloth, just double-up on the elbow grease as I will next time (am about to start on my Light Pattern: double single malt is poured, wife and kids in bed, newspaper spread out on the floor, lint free cloth and Wiliam's polish at the ready and Zulu all ready to go on the DVD . Atb: Gareth W-B.

Ps. Hi Alistair, not sure about as a shower gel, but am certain I could make you up something akin to soap on a rope out of a lump of bees wax ...
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 07-04-2008 at 10:18 PM. Reason: to ad the post script :-)

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Hi Gareth,

We are all very well thanks, bar the usual daily barrage - Trust you are the same down your end of the world.
    Must say your Vintage Airgun Fayre looks like it will be a great day out, I have to wait a bit closer to the time to see if I can go, as its a long way and I'm a bit sporadic in my movements generally, but good on you for sorting it out.
    See that you have been rifleshooting lately, did you get a 10/22 in the end, I've been fancying one of these for a while now, but am getting drawn towards a Thomspon centre or a take down Fn Browning. What I need is for someone to say the basic model Ruger 10/22 is great with just a trigger job !

Cheers Morgan

Hi again Morgan, and thanks for your words. Yep, all good here too cheers . The Airgun Fayre is still on plan but only six stalls have booked @ £30 a stall, and by the end of the month I have to make the decision as to pay the hall hire fee or not, as it'll cost me just shy of £800 with full external Public Liability Insurance and non refundable deposits etc ... Will keep all up to speed however. Went for a CZ .22lr in the end (fantastic bit of kit), but I use a Ruger at one of my rifle clubs for the discipline of practical shooting, which I enjoy so much am picking my own Ruger 10/22 up this Saturday . Hunting out past 50 yards it has to be the CZ though (or my FAC Rapid 7 ), as Ruger accuracy is not all that, but they are fun enough to make me want one as well, and cant recommend something any more than saying I want one and have one coming . Atb: Gareth W-B.

Hi Gareth,

Cheers for the into, I've had my trusty Brno for years, but quite fancy an auto too.
    Are you doing pre booked entry tickets for the punters as well - people seem too glady pay a fiver to get into an everyday small militaria fair.

Cheers Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    Hi Gareth,

Cheers for the into, I've had my trusty Brno for years, but quite fancy an auto too.
    Are you doing pre booked entry tickets for the punters as well - people seem too glady pay a fiver to get into an everyday small militaria fair.

Cheers Morgan
    Morning Morgan, yes will try and run it on as many pre-paid tickets as possible. Have pledges of 70 so far (£3 each), but don't want to start the admin of collecting ticket money until I'm confident that there will be enough going on stall-wise etc etc to merit the journeys involved (and for me to see the half way mark regarding outlay ). Will keep everyone posted. A Bruno eh? Wonderful bit of kit, so yep, a semi-auto as a bolt-on to play with would be good (exactly what I am doing ). Atb: Gareth W-B.

Cheers Gareth.
    pleased you had good results with the polish, it does take a lot of dirt & grime off the gun, its works really well on sweaty fingerprints that have gone a little rusty, give it a good rub over and they dissapear..

Thanks again
    Will G...

polish posted gents Cheers
    Will..

Quote Originally Posted by william View Post
    polish posted gents Cheers Will..
    ... Thanks William, my second batch of your wonder-stuff arrived today ready to revitalise more of my many . Atb: Gareth W-B.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    ... Thanks William, my second batch of your wonder-stuff arrived today ready to revitalise more of my many . Atb: Gareth W-B.
    Cheers Gareth
    Thank you for letting me know it arrived safe and sound

ATVB
    Will...

All polish orders posted today
    Thank you Will...