Thread: New to HFT, some advice please

Renegade Master is offline They mostly come at night, mostly

New to HFT, some advice please

Hi all

I have put my name down for a new rifle, and have decided for a change to try a 177 (I usually hunt with 22's).

Because of this I thought I would try some HFT, which I have never done before. I have done some reading (UKAHFT site and Southern Hunters). It would appear that it is advantageous to use a scope with a decent depth of field, as I understand that adjustments to the scope are not permitted once the course is started.

So, what scopes can you recommend with a good DoF. I would also be interested in variable mag and side px as I will probably go hunting with this setup as well.

Thanks, and very sorry if this has been covered before. I have tried various searches, but too many threads to read.

Cheers

Dan

Basically, don't use too large an objective lens or magnification. 10x magnification and 44mm objective should be your maxima. Scopes like the MTC Viper 3-12x44, Bushnell Legend 5-15x40 or Bushnell 3200 4-12x40 are all popular. I suggest searching for Sparky's HFT kit thread in the main airgun section to see what people are using. Also get yourself up to Lea Valley on Saturdays, especially the third each month to have a go plus don't forget West London Rangers at Harefield every whenever it is they meet.

Jonathan

Cheers Jonathan

I will probably visit West London Rangers first as Harefield is not far from me (I regularly used to drink at the Horse & Barge). I will get up to Lea Valley at some point, but want to have a go and see if it's for me first.

I have been looking at MTC scopes, the Mamba 3-12x44. Can you tell me why larger objective lens scopes are not recommended? Actually, I do have a Parker Hale 3-12x40 scope, would that be any good to start with?

Cheers

Dan

The objective behind keeping the objective lens small, is so that the scope can be mounted as close to the barrel as possible.
    This means that your aim points shouldn't be far apart from each other, thus reducing the possibility of missing due to misranging the target.
    Also lightweight pellets help to keep a flatter trajectory.

Simon.
    Theoben MFR CS800 .177/Burris Timberline, Theoben Evo .177/ Burris Timberline, BSA Supersport .25, Haenel XX, BSA Ultra .177/ Burris Timberline.

Dan:

Steve Gillies at West London will be able to guide you through the ideal set up required-(though be wary, he may try and persuade you to become a fellow spring gun fanatic). Yopu will find plenty of good used scopes in the sales section-£150.00 should cover a decent scope and mounts
    The fun in comp shooting, is learning to get on top of your kit-joining a club will provide invaluable help in the early stages of this learning curve.
    Check out the HFT learners days that John Dove is going to be running at Lea Valley (details on their website)-perfect for new shooters
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Master View Post
    Cheers Jonathan

I will probably visit West London Rangers first as Harefield is not far from me (I regularly used to drink at the Horse & Barge). I will get up to Lea Valley at some point, but want to have a go and see if it's for me first.

I have been looking at MTC scopes, the Mamba 3-12x44. Can you tell me why larger objective lens scopes are not recommended? Actually, I do have a Parker Hale 3-12x40 scope, would that be any good to start with?

Cheers

Dan
    Nothing to do with aimpoints, a smaller objective will generally give better DOF than a larger one.
    Last edited by tmstech; 27-04-2008 at 06:13 PM. Reason: SP
    Purbeck Field Target Club.

Excellent, that's exactly what I needed to know.

I have been looking at the MTC Mamba 3-12x44. Anybody have an opinion of this scope?

Cheers

Dan

scope

get yourself a falcon 10x42 a great scope mildot or mp20 your choice

Leup 10 x 40 Mildot nuff said

Legend 5x15x40 Mildot nearly as good and a damn sight cheaper

MTC if you like the Ret then its a bloody good scope, i'm still trying to get to grips with the ret but its on the backup gun and looks good
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons"

Gary C Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Master View Post
    Excellent, that's exactly what I needed to know.

I have been looking at the MTC Mamba 3-12x44. Anybody have an opinion of this scope?

Cheers

Dan
    If it's for HFT a 10x44 is better, Dan

Feral is offline One of my mil dots is missing
    I am really pleased with my Viper 10x44 for HFT. I much prefer the reticule to my Bushnell after using it a few times.
    Walther dominator Lightstream FFP, s200 with Viper 10x44 - Buxted HFT My A4 Targets - HFT Kill zone sizes

Thanks for that Gary. It will be my first time at HFT. The new rifle will be used for hunting and plinking, but as I am getting it in 177 I thought I might try my hand at HFT.

For that reason I really wanted to stick with an adjustable mag rather than the fixed. I understand that this is not ideal for HFT, and if I get into I will probably upgrade to a fixed. I can then still use the variable on one of my hunting rifles to replace a Bushnell. Obviously, if I buy a fixed mag and don't get on with HFT I will then have to sell the scope, probably making a loss.

That said, would the 3-12 be useless for HFT, or jut not as good as the fixed?

I had a look at the Mamba at my local RFD on Saturday and was very impressed. Would like to go for this scope if possible.

Cheers

Dan