Thread: How many shoot a BP pistol in competition?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

How many shoot a BP pistol in competition?

And which pistol do you prefer for each of the events you shoot, whether smoothbore flintlock single shot, rifled percussion single shot, or as-issued percussion revolver: and why?

Jim
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 03-05-2008 at 03:48 PM.
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

One of the clubs I'm in has lot of black powder comps, for everything from revolvers and single shot pistol to muzzle loading and BPCF rifles. Personally I only enter the revolver comps as that's all I've got. For revolver comps they have to be spirit of the original so I can only use my 1860 Army. Which is bad for me as I can't shot my Ruger Old Army very well with its adjustable sights, so you can imagine how bad I am with the 1860 Army

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by moonraker View Post
    One of the clubs I'm in has lot of black powder comps, for everything from revolvers and single shot pistol to muzzle loading and BPCF rifles. Personally I only enter the revolver comps as that's all I've got. For revolver comps they have to be spirit of the original so I can only use my 1860 Army. Which is bad for me as I can't shot my Ruger Old Army very well with its adjustable sights, so you can imagine how bad I am with the 1860 Army
    Moonraker, you can't imagine how bad I am with my Beeman P3 air pistol with adjustable sights. I can't blame the recoil, noise, or smoke, either, nor the stress of shoulder to shoulder competition, since I shoot postal comps, alone in my backyard!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Question

I only enter the revolver comps as that's all I've got. For revolver comps they have to be spirit of the original so I can only use my 1860 Army. Which is bad for me as I can't shot my Ruger Old Army very well with its adjustable sights, so you can imagine how bad I am with the 1860 Army
    How DO these two compare, accuracy-wise? Any difference you notice in grip, or felt recoil? How do they compare for clean-up afterwards?

Jim

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Don't do it

I don't shoot competition with my .44 partly because I'm totally crap but, mainly, because I just enjoy pulling the trigger, feeling the kick in my hand and watching the world vanish in a cloud of smoke.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

That sums it up!

Quote Originally Posted by lilguy43uk View Post
    I don't shoot competition with my .44 partly because I'm totally crap but, mainly, because I just enjoy pulling the trigger, feeling the kick in my hand and watching the world vanish in a cloud of smoke.
    You've summed up the joy of black powder shooting, LG!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    You've summed up the joy of black powder shooting, LG!

Jim

ditto
    'Gun control is like trying to reduce drink driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars'

We have a monthly BP comp at my club - rifles first, then pistols.

Pistols now "dominate" and the number of shooters is steadily increasing - VERY popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    How DO these two compare, accuracy-wise? Any difference you notice in grip, or felt recoil? How do they compare for clean-up afterwards?

Jim
    I miss with the Old Army and really miss with 1860 I just about keep it with in 5" with the Old Army but can't group with the 1860 grip wise there's not much difference except of course there's the extra heft of the Old Army. As for clean up the Old Army SOOOO much easier being stainless
    Last edited by moonraker; 05-05-2008 at 06:22 PM.

Smile Thanks!

I miss with the Old Army and really miss with 1860 I just about keep it with in 5" with the Old Army but can't group with the 1860 grip wise there's not much difference except of course there's the extra heft of the Old Army. As for clean up the Old Army SOOOO much easier being stainless
    Thank you, MR: your response sums it up quite well!

Jim