Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC news 24 airgun ban

mark 1 Guest

Thumbs down BBC news 24 airgun ban

this morning on news 24 there was a report that they got wrong ???? on it it said that we had up to midnight tonight to get a licence for our airgun or hand it in.there was nothing reported about brokocks. instead it showed a webley rader . WONDERFULL.

I have just phoned the BBc and made a complaint the number is 0870 0100222 (national number)
    the lady i spoke to said she would pass on my comments VERY STRONGLY to the news 24 prog.
    we could do with a lot of calls going to this number
    Regards
    Seggy

2 calls made fom our house, plus number emailed to all club members
    Regards
    Bob

clubshot Guest

Arrow

Phones around the Country have been ringing hot today following this News Report.

Dealers / Manufactures / Police / Shooting Groups-Associations.

Did anyone manage to record the report ? .

BOB/R

T-Hire Guest
    BBC have acknowledged the screw up and will be issuing an update on thier website (allegedley)

I've been going for a retraction of this totally misleading report all morning, as has Mike Yardley, Pat Farey and quite a few others.

So far neither of us have been called back with an update. This irresponsible misinformation has been spouted for some weeks now - not least by some police 'sources' I may add - and, as in this case, we're doing all we can to chase them down and supply the true versions.

Please, can we ALL make a call to the number given and complain about this misleading broadcast? Tell your shooting friends, spread the word - and let's at least try to make them think twice before misleading the public they're supposed to be serving.

Thanks for your help - and please make that call!

Terry

RochdaleLad Guest
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3668885.stm

....... speechless really.

I like (not) this bit:

"The measures are part of a government crackdown on this type of airgun, which in latest figures, was used in 80 serious crimes between 2001 and 2002.

It follows a series of high profile killings, including the deaths of Charlene Ellis, 18, and Letisha Shakespeare, 17, at a New Year party in 2003."

Anyone not knowing the facts would think Brococks or other airguns were involved in these killings... I'm assuming this wasn't the case!

The BBC really are off their rocker.

David (already complained, btw)

BASC's Mike Eveleigh appeared on the Today programme this morning, and will be in a discussion programme on Radio 5 Live at 1730h tonight.
    BASC's Dave Kenyon appeared on BBC Solent this morning.
    I have recorded several local radio interviews, mainly for commercial stations.

BBC TV news broadcast a misleading piece this morning, implying all airguns were banned from today. The BBC have told me this item will be pulled from further broadcasts.
    The BBC website has also been corrected.

An ITN news piece has been recorded with BASC and should be broadcast either tonight or tomorrow.

If you hear any reports/discussions, call the stations concerned.
    Simon Clarke
    Head of Press Relations, BASC
    simon.clarke@basc.org.uk

Darren Petts Guest
    BBC site has NOT been corrected

"Only 10% of 75,000 airguns being targeted by tough new laws remain unaccounted for, a shooting sports group has claimed."

Other way round me thinks!

And yes I have complained.

I just phoned the BBC and the lady who answered told me that further bulletins would be amended to reflect the true picture, but she could not guarantee that there would be any retraction.
    She also seemed very concerned as to where I obtained the number and asked if anybody had told me to phone in ?????.
    The number is 0870 010 0222 but I've not told you to phone it.

Bob

Originally posted by Simon Clarke
    BASC's Mike Eveleigh appeared on the Today programme this morning, and will be in a discussion programme on Radio 5 Live at 1730h tonight.
    BASC's Dave Kenyon appeared on BBC Solent this morning.
    I have recorded several local radio interviews, mainly for commercial stations.

BBC TV news broadcast a misleading piece this morning, implying all airguns were banned from today. The BBC have told me this item will be pulled from further broadcasts.
    The BBC website has also been corrected.

An ITN news piece has been recorded with BASC and should be broadcast either tonight or tomorrow.

If you hear any reports/discussions, call the stations concerned.
    I just watched a further broadcast of that article. It has not been corrected yet. I have phoned them and they are saying it will be sorted.
    http://www.picturetrail.com/airgunner

http://www.picturetrail.com/airgunner2388

Daystate MKIII RT (A).177" - Daystate MKIII RT (B) .22" (FAC) - Daystate MKIII RT (B2) Short .177" - Daystate MKIII Sports CDT (C) - Daystate X2 Sports R .177" - Daystate Harrier X .22" (FAC)

www.daystateowners.com

I missed the original article, but checking the link at 11:45, and it seems to state the case in a fairly honest way - mentioned self-contained cartridges, but emphasises no ban on CO2 guns (no mention of springers and PCPs though). It seems like the complaints may have worked. Says the site was last updated at 11:07

I've just phoned them myself and told them of there error. I was told it would be passed on I was asked if i had seen the programme and i told them i had , i haven't mind but your lots word is good enough for me.
    Old soldiers never die,They just get mothballed..

Darren Petts Guest
    The BBC interactive service via sky is also showing the 10% unnacounted bit too.

Paul Hudson Guest
    Just seen it again in the bank (on News 24) and the subtitles have been amended slightly to say that it's "TAC and guns that can be converted to firearms that are the issue..."

Unfortunately the sound was off so I couldn't hear whether the actual report was any better than the early morning version.

Paul.