Thread: Slings - where d'you fit yours?

Enzo Guest

Question Slings - where d'you fit yours?

Does anyone know of any different methods of attaching a sling to a rifle other than the ususal points at either end and underneath the stock?

I saw someone at last years HFT shoot at Chester - they were using a method where they could lengthen the sling so it changed from carrying the gun in a muzzle down position to a brace in the firing position.

The best way I can describe/remember it was a bit like the "Cheater" slings you see in the airgun magazines.

It was not an ordinary way of slinging a rifle for sure - but it looked like it worked. It looked better because it was faster to bring the gun up on aim - and because it then acted as a brace. I don't know if it was as comfortable to carry though?

Anyone remember this sling? Anyone tried it? Anyone got any photos of the attachment points? To save me drilling in the wrong position?

Gordon

Could well have been the old SA80 sling. If so, the holes need to be drilled in the side of the stock.

Shaggy Guest
    I fit my sling to the stock
    normally 1 at each end
    I put a short one at the front with enough space to take it with out coming threw.
    Iput a bigger one at the back, but allow about 2" for the screws on the butt plat

Sorry Couldn't risist it.

Darren

Enzo Guest
    Gee - thanks Darren Its gonna be one of those nights again - I can tell - don't ask me - I can just tell ...

Doobs - is the SA80 a military sling? I haven't heard of it? Thinking about it, the only way you could use the sling as a brace is if its attached on the side somewhere. Well - that's a good start.

Gordon

Ravenskull Guest
    hmmm, well the SA80 is the british army's standard assault rifle, so i guess you could pick up a sling in the militaria section on , or on any comprehensive army surplus site

Ravenskull Guest
    here for instance:

item...

Dan

smiley Guest
    www.cabelas.com u.s.a sell the type i think you mean... clips the gun to the chest but can be moved to different styles (if you type in slings on l/h of page, full list of every type) and sportsman g/centre 01935 83099 (no web address!?) sell the safari (cheeta type) sling and also the "gunslinger" rifle holster which is similar to the tactical sling in the cabelas page but mounts your back (easy chaps)... link provided for peep! check out gun-mart also... if you are thinking about u.s.a order they are only £22 with exchange rate... will send you cash for second and go halfs on postage/import if interested... cheers smiley p.s before you drill anything... some types attach via a noose so you might not need studs...
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...jpg&hasJS=true
    Last edited by smiley; 28-04-2004 at 12:05 AM.

Neil7777 Guest

Sling

All you need now is a long coat and a few banks.

smiley Guest
    we could re-name them staps... but "how do you fit your strap-on" could get messy

Sling Position

The best way to use a sling in the prone is the way we did in the military You put an extra swivel in front of the mag on the Mk 4 Lee Enfield
    I've done it on my AA400 by putting the extra swivel in front of the trigger guard gives a good steady feel.
    John

I put my swivels on the left side of the stock and fore-end on my Falcon FN12TW. Gives a steady hold when shooting because the pull is in line with the swivel and not trying to twist/cant the rifle.

Also the rifle sits comfortably flat against your shoulderblade when carrying. I use one of those broad, flat canvas RWS slings. Hard to see how anything could be much better...

Regards,
    MikB
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Enzo Guest
    Dan - the quick release buckle looks familiar on that pic of the SA80. I am almost sure I saw this or something similar.

Smiley - thanks for the links - if I get one from the states I'll pm you. Which one d'you fancy btw?

Neil -

Hi John - can you give some more detail please? Do you use the trigger guard swivel instead of the one up front, and how does it work? I can't picture it at the minute..

Mike - yep - I think the guy I saw had the attachment points on the side. Its either that or something with loops like the safari sling.

Gordon

smiley Guest
    Smiley - thanks for the links - if I get one from the states I'll pm you. Which one d'you fancy btw?

would like the claw tactical if you are considering an ordrer mate... i like the way you can fit it the gun over your chest for quick access... will be doing a fair bit of lamping and would be perfect for... pm me anytime if you are considering and will forward you the cash pre-order... cheers smiley

Sling stud position

YOu fit two studs in the normal position ie one short stud at barrel end of wood work the other long stud 2.5 inches from back plate. Fit sling to these to carry
    Fit a third short stud in woodwork between trigger gaurd and the screw which holds the stock to the barrel.
    Use uncle mickes quick release swivels and when you want to shoot fit sling to front and middle studs, this is the way the 22 rim guys shoot
    John