Thread: The LP53

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)

The LP53

I'm trying to get some oreder into the chronolgy of LP53's, which type was produced first etc. Heres what I think so far.

The forst few batches were all black with a polished and blued reciver with crinkle paint only on the top and on the 'duck bill' at the back

The came the type with crinkle painted reciver with brown handles (or are brown handles only on the De Luxe model)

Then finally crinlkle painting all black with a straight back to the reciver.

Am I correct or way out. Anyone know?
    Last edited by ogilkes; 01-05-2008 at 09:37 AM.

The transition from polished (early) to black crackle (late) is certainly what Dennis Hiller gives in his guide.

The first edition of John Walter's The Airgun Book (1981) would presumably show a late model gun, if the illustration was sourced especially for the book, and that has a black crackle finish, straight rear to receiver.

Wesley's Air Guns and Air Pistols is also interesting - the 1979 edition has a cover photograph of a LP53 (and also an Original Model 50) with black crackle/straight back, but a plate showing a polished/curved back version. It looks, though, like the cover photo was taken especially for this edition, while the plates were simply carried over from earlier editions.

I imagine the all-black crackle finish was introduced to try and keep costs down - didn't Webley have the same problem with the Premier?

Iain

Thanks for this. Webley though used some form of expoxy finish on the Premier II, quite hard wearing, but smoothes surfaced. Similar to the finish of the alloy parts of the Tempest

Smile Walther LP53

I have two of these fine air pistols - MIB and totally complete with their cocking ball devices.

Pistol #021331 has an all-crackle finish to the receiver, but has an all-blacked barrel and breech. It has brown plastic grips, and comes in a compartmented box with the spare foresight and backsight elements held in cut-outs in the raised section of the box. It is stamped GERMANY in the cartouche as an afterthought - the lettering style is different and is only lightly struck AFTER the finish was applied. According to the letter I have From Herr Werner Hampel, it was made in 1957.

I got it via a dealer in Boston, Mass, who obtained it from the widow of a US serviceman who bought it in the Wiesbaden Rod and Gun Club store in 1958, but who never used it.

Pistol #116552 is all-black crackle with black grips and an all-blacked barrel and breech. It comes in a 'simplified' box with the spare foresight and backsight elements in a small Walther clear plastic box. It is stamped MADE IN GERMANY at an angle on the cartouche, and was sold from the Army & Navy stores in Great Victoria Street London, England, sometime in the mid-1960's.

And yes, I shoot them both with great enjoyment.

tac

Hi ogilkes
    I have received this reply from Carl Wather GmbH with regards to dating my LP53 number 110045 :-This air pistol was made in the year 1971.
    The LP53 was produced from 1953 to 1976, approx. 125'000 pcs were made.

Best regards,
    Carl Walther GmbH - Germany

Hope this helps regards Keith

lp53

Hi Ollie
    There is a article on the web that explains the 4 basic variations of the pistol. I have a link somewhere that I will try and find and post on here

With regard to the crinkle finish, the early models were chemically blacked as stated. Generally these also have an adjustable trigger but a very heavy trigger pull weight of the order of 1500 gms.

The crinkle finish was adopted to reduce costs, not only because it may have been cheaper to apply, but also it reduced the reject rate of the bodies that showed surface flaws, (porosity, tears, slag inclusings in the cast)
    The body also did not need the same degree of preparation for the paint application
    Non adjustable triggers are usually between 550 and 750 gms pull weight and so are more suitable for target shooting
    John
    hold me back !!

Quote Originally Posted by mxgb View Post
    ...to dating my LP53 number 110045 :-This air pistol was made in the year 1971.
    That's interesting - as you can see from my post I was told that my 'newer' LP53, #116552, that is actually a lot further down the serial numbers than yours, dated from the middle 1960's....

However, it doesn't matter much to me.

Best wishes

tac

John

Thanks for this would be most interested in the link if you find it! Yes I've noticed the distinct difference in pull on the early and late models, glad its not just me...

Ollie

Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post
    Hi Ollie
    There is a article on the web that explains the 4 basic variations of the pistol. I have a link somewhere that I will try and find and post on here

With regard to the crinkle finish, the early models were chemically blacked as stated. Generally these also have an adjustable trigger but a very heavy trigger pull weight of the order of 1500 gms.

The crinkle finish was adopted to reduce costs, not only because it may have been cheaper to apply, but also it reduced the reject rate of the bodies that showed surface flaws, (porosity, tears, slag inclusings in the cast)
    The body also did not need the same degree of preparation for the paint application
    Non adjustable triggers are usually between 550 and 750 gms pull weight and so are more suitable for target shooting
    John

Lp53

Hi Ollie

This link is a comparison of the LP53 v the Predom and not the one that describes the variants.
    I have the other link on another computer so I will keep looking and post it when found
    ATB
    John

http://www.network54.com/Forum/39338...uot%3B+details.....
    Last edited by pennineway.fswo; 06-05-2008 at 04:48 PM.
    hold me back !!

Variants

Hopefully this is the one. I found it on my better halves laptop(Had to wait until she had finished her daily fix of Tetris)

ATB
    John

Walther+LP53+-+an+in-depth+look+at+the+variants.htm

Nope No good
    I will try again

John

Here we go ----cut and pasted

John

Walther LP53 - an in-depth look at the variants......
    January 12 2006 at 2:17 PM leonardj (Login emcomat86)

The Walther LP53 is one of my favourite air pistols. I have become accustomed to it's firing behaviour, and can shoot remarkably well with it. My other interest is variations within a model over it's production. This is a bit of the info that I have gathered thus far on the LP53 variants.

The 1st variant that I am aware of is the smooth finish receiver, with the barrel and all alloy parts shiny black anodized, and all steel parts nicely blued. The back of the receiver, or grip frame, is curved - sometimes referred to as a "duck bill". Almost all 1st variant guns will have the smooth finish on the top of the frame and duck bill - however, in my collection resides an interesting 1st variant that is crinkle finished only on the top of the frame and duck bill, but smooth finish everywhere else. I suspect that the factory may have done this to hide a subtle flaw in the raw casting on some guns, which may have led them to the realization that they could cut out a step in the manufacturing process by using crinkle paint on the entire receiver.

The 2nd variant had a crinkle finish receiver, with the barrel retaining it's shiny black anodizing, and all steel parts still nicely blued. Another change noted within the range of the 2nd variant guns is the elimination of the adjustable trigger. In the lower left pic, right in the center, you can see an adjustment screw and locking screw. At around S/N 024xxx, the trigger group appears as in the lower right pic - no longer adjustable.

The 3rd variant retains the crinkle finish receiver, but the barrel is now finished with a dull, satin type anodizing, and all the steel parts now have a similar dull finish - possibly bead blasted, then blued. The gun pictured has the optional barrel weight installed. I am not sure when the barrel weight was introduced, because I have seen early guns with them installed, however, all the barrel weights that I have examined, have had the satin finish applied. Another transition occurring around this time is the rear sight elevation screw - it is now numbered.

The 4th, and final, variant of this wonderful Walther air pistol. The crinkle finish receiver is retained, but it takes on an angular appearance, eliminating the duck bill. Also gone is the chamfer at the front of the frame, just below the barrel pivot screw. The barrel and all the other metal parts retain the dull, satin finish.

Final Note: I have seen a picture of what appears to be an early LP53 that has factory wood grips, chequered, and in right hand configuration. The barrel, where the cocking link meets it, has no fillet - it is a solid slab sided casting. I suspect that this could be an LP52, but have no solid info to go on. I had been in contact, via e-mail, with a fellow that said he owned an LP53 such as this, and that he would send pics. Sadly, I never heard back from him.

PS
    There was never a LP52
    Last edited by pennineway.fswo; 06-05-2008 at 07:48 PM.
    hold me back !!

Smile

John - that is a VERY useful post - I have referenced it immediately!

Been shooting both my LP53 this evening - as enjoyable as ever.

Best wishes

tac

John

Yes thanks for going to the trouble of putting this up, my questions are now well and truely answered. Its much appreciated.

A pistol I have jsut sold in fact is one of those odd first series variants with the crinkle finish only on the top and back of the receiver.

Ollie