Thread: Laser sight, worth it?

Question Laser sight, worth it?

As per the title really, i fancy one for my hw45 (not for the comp!). Are they really the point and shoot that i'm hoping for? what sort of range will i be able to aim without correction? eg zero at 6yards, how much plus and minus before hold over/under is req?. Are they just a bit of bling with no real benefit ???
    thanks
    james
    Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20 - Air Arms TX200 HC .177
    FX Verminator .177 - Theoben Evolution .177

I found I couldn't get on with a laser sight I'm afraid, a pain to set up and I wasn't at all accurate with them....but a red dot sight, that's a different matter.....I found them brilliant!
    Taken them off all my pistols now though except for the 2240 as I'm trying to improve my accuracy bareback, i.e. with iron sights....
    Eric.

Thanks, i suspected as much! i bought a bb gun year's ago with one that fitted on the trigger guard. It was pants, couldn't zero it any sense at 3meters!!

Whats a good red dot then?

JSR do a tv screen one for £8, and a round type for £25.

How have people got on with theirs?

Obviously the 2nd one will be better quality, but just for plinking and quick aquisition when ratting, is the tv one good enough?

Anyone else do them for around £25? tv or round

Cheers

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

Russ...you can get the Hawke Sport Dot for £20 (Uttings), I've got two and find them very good for the money especially as you can mount them on a very short rail due to the one single mount...
    Eric.

am i to believe my hw45 has 12mm dovetails, most i've seem in adverts only go up to 11mm ??
    oh and i don't suppose it's high enough to still see the irons?? i'm telling myself it's not!!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    am i to believe my hw45 has 12mm dovetails, most i've seem in adverts only go up to 11mm ??
    oh and i don't suppose it's high enough to still see the irons?? i'm telling myself it's not!!
    The rails are 12mm but my Hawke Sport Dot opened wide enough to fit and set up ok but afraid you have to remove it to use the iron sights....
    Eric.

A pic with my 45 and Sport Dot...note my 2240 also has a Sport Dot....
    Attached Images Attached Images

JSR Red Dots

Had them both.
    The little Cheap & Cheerful TV one went on my Nemesis and has stayed there ever since. It's a great tool and doesn't look too bad on the front of the Nemisis and does not add too much weight to the front end. Mind you, a lump of plastic with a hole in it would be better than the original sights.
    The "proper" sight was a bloody disater. Tried it on three pistols and a rifle and found it aimed high and right on all of them and I could not figure out how to take it apart to adjust after I had run out of normal click adjustment. So I binned it and invested in a Hawke 35 for my Webley & Scott Hurricane. This is a great piece of kit and it even helps to balance the pistol.
    One point NEVER travel without a spare battery.
    Target Bunny
    Attached Images Attached Images