Thread: Black powder price check

Black powder price check

Anybody know what Henry Krank is charging for a kg of fine at the moment ?

RB,

I haven't got a clue, but I remember one of the old boys in the club complianing bitterly that it's gone up in price, massively! All seems to be with restrictions on transport and storage. My LGS stop stocking "real" B/P last year. Pyrodex and Triple 7 is really the only thing available.

Aye it's a bugger to get these days

Lots of yanks are finding it hard to get real BP. Transportation and storage seems to be facing new restrictions.

There will always be those who insist on only using the real thing. Perhaps MLAGB restrictions demand its use but 777 is the way to go for general use. Trust me it is far easier to clean and non corosive, far far better to use. No explosive licence or transportation certificate, order it from Wilson & Wilson and it is delivered to your door next day.

Look, we shoot thse buggers because we enjoy it. Why make things hard, there is an easier route.

777 goes bang, what more do you want? It is easily on par with BP in its performance, ok perhaps it is more consistant in its performance but surely thats a good thing.

Safety is paramount in what we do. BP is not always the same, well is it? 777 repeats, you know that one batch is going to be just about the same as the next. That has to be safer dont it?
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

I adree that 777 is the way to go, but even though clean up is so much more easier, don't get lured into it being non-corrosive........

Leave it too long and it will eat your prized revolver just as much if you'd shot it full of Kranks fine, then hung it off a support leg of Hastings pier at high tide!!!!

I've left mine for two weeks without a clean before now with no visible adverse effect. Just a white powder formed down the barrel. Had that been pyro or BP I hate to think.

Theres no sulphur in 777 so acid creation will be very low. Granted combustion will burn away protective oil deposits leaving bare metal at the mercy of the elements.

Hastings pier is not a worry, just the low lifes that form on its surface.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

777 for flintlocks?

Does 777 work well in flintlocks?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

No Jim.

The thing is the flintlock (or matchlock) has a pan requireing a flash powder. Normally you would go for as fine as possible but 4f seems a reasonable grade.

Black powder burns fast in open atmosphere. 777 needs to be in a confined space. BP is an explosive 777 is a propellant. The spark required for 777 needs to be hot and quick, such as from a cap, I doubt that flash powder would be fast enough for a reliable ignition of 777.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidboy1 View Post
    Aye it's a bugger to get these days
    Haven't tried him but Peter Starley advertises mail order BP http://www.black-powder.co.uk