Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: replacing .22 spring with a .177 spring

Question replacing .22 spring with a .177 spring

hi ya new boy here !!
    can any1 tell me what power increase you get from changing .22 spring with a.177? have seen warnings on many site saying that it put power over legal limit. i have a fac but dont need hugh power as only have small bit of land to shoot on at the moment just need that little bit more maybe 13-14lb.gun is hw 97k
    thanks
    "stuff" is just"stuff" but happieness is hard to find!

Darren Petts Guest
    If you have a FAC why not take your FAC to a gunsmith and order the correct FAC parts.
    You'll not find the answer to your question on here.

draftsmann Guest

Re: replacing .22 spring with a .177 spring

Originally posted by scottywong
    just need that little bit more maybe 13-14lb
    You don't "need" 13-14 ft lb. There is little appreciable difference in trajectory between 11 and 13 ft lb. Why not just enjoy shooting your air rifle as it is, and if you have need for an FAC air rifle save the FAC slot for a 30 ft lb gun?

Adrian

Thumbs up

fair enough cheers.

RepkaX Guest
    why such defensive responses to a perfectly reasonable technical question?

Not sure if there is such a thing as a .177 spring as you dont have to specify what calibre your gun is when ordering a new spring.
    Look on chambermakers gun site it just list one spring for a 97 no calibre mentioned.

Thumbs up

it was a general question as i dont think they do the 97k in .177.i'm thinking of changeing guns 95k or remortgage the house and get a theoben any ideas from any1 if its worth paying the extra??

thanks anyway to you all by the way

it was a general question as i dont think they do the 97k in .177.
    I've had one and they are still made today. £244.95 from BAR.
    Rgds,
    Dave.
    SkyDrive, Pics, manuals & more.

draftsmann Guest
    Originally posted by RepkaX
    why such defensive responses to a perfectly reasonable technical question?
    The responses urging caution were not technically motivated but in regard to the possible legal consequences of fitting a more powerful spring - as I think you know very well

Adrian

draftsmann Guest
    it was a general question as i dont think they do the 97k in .177.i'm thinking of changeing guns 95k or remortgage the house and get a theoben any ideas from any1 if its worth paying the extra??
    For another £130 or so you can get a Weihrauch Lazaglided which will get it performing as well as a spring rifle possibly can.

Adrian

RemMag is offline We're getting married, Weevie and me.
    They do indeed do the 97K in .177.

Just as a general answer, you don't get calibre specific springs. The confusion seems to have come about because Theoben Gas Rams are calibre specific, and using a .177 in a .22 rifle will give you a slightly higher level of power.

Is it worth getting a Theoben? Well I suppose it depends if you are talking about getting a Rapid, or one of their gas ram rifles. Either way, there are a lot of other rifles that can do the same jobs, the BSA Supertens make an acceptable Rapid substitute, and their are loads of other great PCP's, while the AA TX200 and prosport range are excellent self contained guns. HW97K is generally considered an excellent springer too, almost on a par with the TX200, especially after a Lazaglide tune!

Alex

draftsmann Guest
    Originally posted by alexclarke
    HW97K is generally considered an excellent springer too, almost on a par with the TX200, especially after a Lazaglide tune!
    I don't have a Laza'd Weihrauch but I have a Bowkett-converted HW77 which is smoother and has less recoil than my Pro Sport. I also incidentally have a Bowketted Airsporter that is damn near as sweet-shooting as the Pro Sport

Adrian

i'm thinking of a theoben evo or the 95k because of the weight.i'm not a big bloke and have a lot of probs with my joints due to crashing to many bikes and braking to many bones so have probs holding the 97 on aim.(getting old b4 me time).

byhsu Guest
    Scottywong:

I have a hw97k and if you get the Venom Power kit for the gun it will make it into a 16 FPE gun. It shoots better than the tX200HC, I know I have one too. Both are .22 The Weihrauch holds the edge after the tune, it is more accurate too, aided by the Record trigger, much better than the AA's offering