View Poll Results: Which dates can you do in 2011?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • 16/17 Jul

2 22.22%
  • 6/7 Aug

7 77.78%
Page 4 of 149 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: I went to Stoke Mandeville today..

and that is an absolutely top idea Good one smokeless coal... Hmm wonder which newspaper would bemost interested in a' look how we treat our disabled paralympic hopefuls' article....

Add my name to the list, have a van, live about 45 mins away, can do genereal building work/fit kitchens/qualified electrician.

Steve

PaulH is online now A hunky chunk ball of baldy luuuuurve.
    Tel

Add me to the list Maintenance and Refurbishment is my no 1 job, will have an initial look at the current facilities if you give me a bit of notice.

Paul

Twixt Dartmoor and Exmoor, Devon (Tiverton way)
    Smokeless Coal is absolutely right. While we can use our enthusiasm to raise some money to get things going and do the job ourselves if necessary, IMHO it would be far better to get some serious momentum going via the national media and formal commercial channels. If we could get the right sponsors, the guys and gals at the hospital could end up with a nice shiny brand-new building. Sponsoring a charity is, I think, 100% deductible from a tax perspective (I'm sure we have experts on this matter on the BBS), so I think we should take a good look at this angle.

I therefore suggest we form two different BBS groups:

The first group would go in and assess what the best way ahead is if a) no-one wants to help us, and we have to do everything ourselves b) some people want to help, but funds are limited and c) what could be done if funds were unlimited. Then, if necessary, get stuck in and improve the place as best they can in the short-term.

The second group should be composed of those who have relevant commercial skills - by this I mean those with expertise or contacts in such areas as media, PR, accounting, planning, architectural, etc. They would try to drum up newspaper/radio/TV coverage, and then use this to encourage one or more large companies to donate some funds.

Since the second group wouldn't necessarily need to be able to get to the hospital, they could be based anywhere in the world, as long as they have an internet connection or a 'phone.

If there is any support for this two-pronged approach, I am willing to do whatever I can to assist. Since I'm currently working seven days a week and live so far away, please count me in the second group!
    Beware the fury of a patient man... John Dryden (1631 - 1700).

My foxing website: www.foxonic.com

Born Again Guest
    Nice ideas Paddy, I have contacts in the newspaper industry but I'm not sure if anyone will connect themselves with shooting, especially as they sell so many papers on the back of sensationalist gun-control headlines.

Maybe the National Lottery would be a better hope.

One thing is for sure , if we all turn up with tools we will be able to improve what's already there, even if it's only better lighting, draft excluding and a lick of paint.

One fly in the ointment though, will their policy allow us to work on their site ? This could drown in red-tape if we're not careful.

snapcapblue is offline I'm fussy about where you put your finger...
    Terry I'm limited in what I can do physically, but count me in for a donation to the funds. I was an out-patient at SM for over 2 years but I didn't know about the disabled shooters and their appalling conditions. I'm confident that the BBS will have a massive impact on their predicament. Many thanks for bring this to our attention. Cheers and ATB - Tony

We don't want to lose momentum on those good men who have the get up and go to get something done.

First thing is for a real appraisal of what could be done with what they have already got.

I think we could get a report back on this very soon.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Please put my name down for a working party as well. My only construction experience has been in the DIY line (stop moaning you builders/'leccys/plumbers etc, I don't destroy everything I touch) so I'd probably be limited to labourer but I'll bring my stuff (such as it is) and help out.
    I've had a look at the page where one can apply for Lottery funding and it seems simple enough, anyone have any experience in this sort of thing?
    "Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering KABOOM!"

Chaps,

If this is going to work as a project to help the disabled shooters of Stoke Mandeville,
    it needs to be approached in a logical manner with a scope worked out prior to any
    commitments being made.

If it's a working party that is required to fix up and repair the existing building, then
    I am pretty sure the BBS could handle it with some local fundraising at events and
    contributions from the guys and girls on here for labour etc.

However, if it's a complete rebuild of a major structure, then it is a different approach
    and skillset required. This will be major fundraising and lots of shooting press assistance
    to bring the requirement to the public eye and god forbid me from saying it, a pitch
    up from the bejewelled one with the cigar

Terry will be speaking to the powers that be at the centre today and hopefully we will
    have more of an idea what we are up against.

It may be a combination of the above, but lets wait and see the scope of the project
    before going off in different directions and not focussing our efforts.

I think this is a glorious opportunity to do some good for the disabled community and
    the shooting communities image as a whole. But. let's let Terry see what's required first ,
    then we know what we have to achieve.

Nealsey
    I'm back.

Thumbs up

Seems to me that an appeal would raise quite a lot of cash. Also if it could have charitable status then all donations to it would have tax relief.
    I'm sure that TD is on to this but it seems to me that the Airgun comics could play their part here. What with him being a top journalist writing for them and all that innit?
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Born Again Guest
    Another thought - what about one of those TV programmes where a team have 24 hours to get something renovated, you know the type I mean but I can't remember any names.

Challenge Anneka?

The lottery fund can only be approached by SM or perhaps the shooters if they have officials. It would not be possible for outsiders to do it on their behalf.

Amongst others I have contacted

http://www.efds.net
    emails to some MP's
    emailed BASC, Countryside Alliance
    posted on a few forums
    contacted the disability sports section of the beeb

This is a national disgrace and needs to be put right. It may be seen a feather in the cap of this BBS as the instigators of some action if we can see a result. It does not matter how it gets done, it must just be done.

If an entrepeneur was to step forward reacting to publicity I don't think we should be unhappy. If the media was to shove it in the face of the public it would do our sport more good than harm.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

sniper22 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    Smokeless Coal is absolutely right. While we can use our enthusiasm to raise some money to get things going and do the job ourselves if necessary, IMHO it would be far better to get some serious momentum going via the national media and formal commercial channels. If we could get the right sponsors, the guys and gals at the hospital could end up with a nice shiny brand-new building. Sponsoring a charity is, I think, 100% deductible from a tax perspective (I'm sure we have experts on this matter on the BBS), so I think we should take a good look at this angle.

I therefore suggest we form two different BBS groups:

The first group would go in and assess what the best way ahead is if a) no-one wants to help us, and we have to do everything ourselves b) some people want to help, but funds are limited and c) what could be done if funds were unlimited. Then, if necessary, get stuck in and improve the place as best they can in the short-term.

The second group should be composed of those who have relevant commercial skills - by this I mean those with expertise or contacts in such areas as media, PR, accounting, planning, architectural, etc. They would try to drum up newspaper/radio/TV coverage, and then use this to encourage one or more large companies to donate some funds.

Since the second group wouldn't necessarily need to be able to get to the hospital, they could be based anywhere in the world, as long as they have an internet connection or a 'phone.

If there is any support for this two-pronged approach, I am willing to do whatever I can to assist. Since I'm currently working seven days a week and live so far away, please count me in the second group!

put me in for group 2 as well. im useless for hands on work due to my parkinsons disease but im online a lot and ive got a phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Again View Post

One thing is for sure , if we all turn up with tools we will be able to improve what's already there, even if it's only better lighting, draft excluding and a lick of paint.
    OK, chaps, I've spoken to the Secretary of the organisation - Disability Target Shooting Great Britain - and she's sorting out a priority list as we speak. She's absolutely overjoyed at your reaction, too.

Realistically, the prospect of getting a new building is a non-starter for all sorts of reasons, so it's a re-furb we're looking at here. What's being organised now is a meeting between the DTSGB people and a delegation from here, so we can work out between us what can and can't be done. There are 'structural complications' with the roof which will need expert input, and stopping the leaks is a major priority.

As soon as the DTSGB get back to me we'll sort out the advance party and we'll roll things out from there. Stay tuned, chaps, this IS going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post

I'm liking the cut of Paddy's jib!