View Poll Results: Which dates can you do in 2011?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • 16/17 Jul

2 22.22%
  • 6/7 Aug

7 77.78%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I went to Stoke Mandeville today..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My father was an inpatient at Stoke Mandeville for quite a few years in the late forties and early fifties, and along with the usual therapeutic activities designated suitable for paraplegics, he became very good at Archery, even though he had never touched a bow in his life before that time, being a University rower and golfer.
    I can't remember him saying anything about a shooting club, but even if there were one in existence at the time, he wouldn't have belonged to it as he was extremely anti gun. I was never allowed an air pistol at home, and even toy guns as gifts were discouraged.
    I remember he had nothing but praise for the therapists at Stoke, apart from frequent references to their only skill requirement being a degree in Masochism, or words to that effect , who helped him immeasurably, and it is very sad to hear of the decline in the standard of shooting facilities offered.
    I wonder if they still practice Archery as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    I wonder if they still practice Archery as well.
    I believe they do.

I'm trying to locate the website I found last night which lists some of the activities they do. I'm sure archery was on it.

Edit: it's here.
    More.
    Yet more.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Whatever it is that gets arranged, I'm in.
    Break your backs and crack your oars men! If you wish to prevail.

Just done a bit of publicising, hope something can be done.

There but for the grace of god.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

If anyone has a spare seat going from Essex I'l lend a hand.

I don't have a specific trade but I'm good at knocking things down, lighting fires, using knifes and hammers as screwdrivers etc
    Cheers
    Dan

I've spoken to Bill Saunders and John Cooper about this in the past and there is a plan once John gets it all sorted to have a side shoot at the Nationals, and also i think we have just found our annual charity shoot!!!!!

Terry we will also get a bucket out at the booking-in areas at the shoots, starting this coming Sunday at Anston.

Pete

Born Again Guest
    Put me down for a days work. Ex spark and can bring generator, tools and welding gear.

If there wasn't a swear-filter on here I'd tell you all how fantastic you are.

I'll be speaking to the people concerned in a few hours time, after which I'll let you all know. I'm fancying this BBS work party idea, though. Perhaps a scouting party will have to go in first to suss it out and sort out materials required, but I'm sure we can arrange that.

I'll be back!

Chaps,

If this is going to work as a project to help the disabled shooters of Stoke Mandeville,
    it needs to be approached in a logical manner with a scope worked out prior to any
    commitments being made.

If it's a working party that is required to fix up and repair the existing building, then
    I am pretty sure the BBS could handle it with some local fundraising at events and
    contributions from the guys and girls on here for labour etc.

However, if it's a complete rebuild of a major structure, then it is a different approach
    and skillset required. This will be major fundraising and lots of shooting press assistance
    to bring the requirement to the public eye and god forbid me from saying it, a pitch
    up from the bejewelled one with the cigar

Terry will be speaking to the powers that be at the centre today and hopefully we will
    have more of an idea what we are up against.

It may be a combination of the above, but lets wait and see the scope of the project
    before going off in different directions and not focussing our efforts.

I think this is a glorious opportunity to do some good for the disabled community and
    the shooting communities image as a whole. But. let's let Terry see what's required first ,
    then we know what we have to achieve.

Nealsey
    I'm back.

Born Again Guest
    Another thought - what about one of those TV programmes where a team have 24 hours to get something renovated, you know the type I mean but I can't remember any names.

Steve Valentine Guest
    Sorry it took me so long to reply, I've been away, I have just voted in the poll.

Ever so slightly disappointed to find only 5 votes in the poll, including mine.

Same old faces again next time ?

Hopefully will be bringing me Julie along.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Valentine View Post
    Sorry it took me so long to reply, I've been away, I have just voted in the poll.

Are you surprised, mate? 4 years on and nothing but empty promises...
    Not to worry, the glory will be all ours!!
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

sol1821 is offline I'm back from resting, and I have the Jaffacakes!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Valentine View Post

perhaps we're all so enthusiastic either date will be fine
    Particle physics gives me a hadron.
    Sliced bread.
    The best thing since ripped up bread.

Thought that some of you that were involved at Stoke Mandeville would be pleased to see how the outside of the range looks today. The graffiti monkeys have stayed away...

I didn't go in, but I can see Matt Skelhon's car outside.

image.jpg

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by snock View Post
    Thought that some of you that were involved at Stoke Mandeville would be pleased to see how the outside of the range looks today. The graffiti monkeys have stayed away...

I didn't go in, but I can see Matt Skelhon's car outside.

image.jpg
    Looking good.
    You only have one body to live in, look after it.