View Poll Results: Which dates can you do in 2011?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • 16/17 Jul

2 22.22%
  • 6/7 Aug

7 77.78%
Page 17 of 149 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: I went to Stoke Mandeville today..

Damn! Too early for me.
    No worries mate, it sounds like you've got it pretty well stitched up, anyway.

Pete.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

How did you get on with the roofing company, Paul? Did they give you a figure?

Pete.
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

PaulH is offline A hunky chunk ball of baldy luuuuurve.
    The site visit went well the roofing company have said that it is a very simple roof to work on and they will email a quotation to me hopefully tomorrow and then follow this up in writing. I have a good idea of the costs but hopefully the quotation will come in lower than my calculations (fingers and everything else crossed)

I have tried to get the best price out of them as I can and explained that we need this to be their best price and that everyone is giving what they can to this very worthy cause.

Next thing we need to do is get a company to reline the galvanised box gutters as the foam is not suitable for them. I have seen a couple of companies about but if anyone knows of one specifically please shout out...

Finally Rosie watches this thread like a hawk and I was hoping to surprise her with my news from last night but she already knew and hugged me several times today (I'm sure I have a couple of broken ribs) also I spoke to one of the shooters today on Rosie's phone and she asked me to pass on big thankyou's to everyone on the bbs(I'm sure she was trying to hug me as well)

Well Rosie and Mandy I know you are watching this would appear to be just the start (that kitchen needs sorting too)

Paul

More great work from Paul - and you deserved those hugs, mate!

Finally the quote we've been waiting for

Below is the main details of the quotation for the works to the roof, the price is a fair bit lower than I was expecting and it is definately achievable

The area to be treated is a single storey, triple bay shooting gallery. The roof is of typical
    construction with asbestos sheets, there are various points of water ingress due to general wear
    and tear, cracking of the substrate and corrosion of bolt heads. We are to spray out all rooflights
    and exclude any gutters.
    An application of Sprayseal foam and coating will not only eradicate all current weatherproofing
    problems, but will also greatly enhance the thermal performance of the building with up to 80%
    of current heat loss through the roof saved. The system when in place will be fully guaranteed for
    a period of 10 years with the option of an insurance backed guarantee also for the same period.
    The system meets the relevant British Standards No’s BS 5241 and BS 7021 for externally
    applied foam and coating for weatherproofing and insulation.
    SPECIFICATION
    Where required erect necessary safety and access equipment to comply with
    Government Safety Regulations.
    Remove all friable material from substrate and ensure spraying surface is clean and dry.
    Clear any debris from site.

All loose sheets should be firmly fixed and any projecting bolt heads should be cropped.
    Spray apply an average thickness of 25mm fo Sprayseal high density rigid polyurethane
    foam (40kg/m3) to designated area. The foam to be tapered down at roof extremities
    and graded upwards into upstands to avoid problems of capillary drive.
    Spray and/or brush apply, whichever applicable, polyurethane high performance
    elastomeric membrane to foamed area. The membrane to be taken 50mm beyond the
    finished edge of the foam to ensure a seamless integral flashing is achieved. Application
    rate to be 0.81/m2. Final colour to be silver.
    Remove all plant and materials from site.
    QUOTATION
    All materials supplied and work carried out as per specification for the sum of:-£13,500.00 plus vat

Paul

baxterbasics Guest

Sounds right Mark:

I believe this project is about to get the green light

After having a hectic couple of weeks (getting a new job) I have recieved the quotation for the roof works in writing in full, the offer is valid for 90 days and is based on the monies being paid on completion of the specified works, having spoken to the contractor today no allowance has been made for providing edge protection to the roof, this will be extra UNLESS we have any scaffolders on the BBS that can provide a double handrail as edge protection on the roof. The quote is still very low and the contractor is going to provide costings for this edge protection from a couple of companies local to Stoke Mandeville as the roofer is from Cheshire... If anyone knows any scaffolders who can help the same with the gutters please twist their arms it is a good cause...

DRIFTER is offline Don't be a hero...............

stoke manaville

Hi Terry
    Went to Oxford Gun Co Oakley yesturday to take the wife for her have ago shoot and she asked the owners wife shirley if she could do a sponsored shoot
    to raise money forthe repairs and she asked her to ask you what sort of shooting do they do is it air pistols and airguns or what as she said that she would find something in the shop for them to raffle or to auction so the wife is going to do one would you be able to do her some forms and send
    regards
    David

Hi David,

They do 10m match shooting there. They have several lanes set out with retrievable target cards and they shoot from a bench, although they don't rest on it whilst shooting.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by snock View Post
    Hi David,

They do 10m match shooting there. They have several lanes set out with retrievable target cards and they shoot from a bench, although they don't rest on it whilst shooting.

Pete.
    thanks pete

update

PLease can we have an update on the work at stoke Mandiville

Dave

I believe that a quote for the work to the roof has been surrendered but we still need to sort out the scaffolding needed for access by the roofing company.

The quote for the roof came in at ~ £13,000, somewhat shy of the original expectation of £30,000.

The roofing company need to do their work before ay of the remaining work can continue. Paul [Lobberman] will know more of the timings involved, but he's a busy fella and has taken a weeks holiday to be with his family.

The project has so far raised somewhere around £16,000 so we still need donations from people to make it possible to buy materials etc.

This project is still very much a 'Go'.

Last edited by snock; 09-08-2007 at 07:42 AM.

The Story So Far

At the moment we have the following

1. The quotation for the overspraying of the roof with polyurethane foam,giving insulation and waterproofing. £13'500.00 + VAT

2. The materials for the rebuilding of the rear elevation have been donated by Mears Group High Wycombe.

3. The asbestos removal from the rear elevation has been donated by European Asbestos Services West Drayton.

We still need to arrange the following

1. Edge protection to the allow the roofing works to be carried out (double handrail of scaffolding to all edges)

2. Delivery of the materials for the re-building of the rear elevation, there is a lot of these and probably 10 volunteers will be required to unload and store them safely (many hands will make light work of this)

3. Source a company and obtain a quotation for re-lining 62 lm of galvanised steel box gutters

4. Arrange for the asbestos to be removed from the rear elevation (ideally this will be carried out the day before we start rebuilding the rear elevation)

If anyone can help with 1 and 3 above that would be much appreciated 2 and 4 will need about 2 weeks notice to get done and I can arrange for them once we have dates when people can help out with the unloading and the rebuilding....

I am sure if we all pull together we can get the roof and the rear elevation completed by October and then we can start to look at the inside of the building..

I know this seems to be taking an age to get started but we need to get the works done properly so they last and the shooters here get the most benefit...

ATVB

Paul

Scaffolding

I have just recieved an email from the roofing contractor with a quotation for the above, this has come in at £1500.00 plus VAT and is for a 4 week hire period, unfortunately there is no discount if the scaffold is used for less than this time.

I have also asked for lead in time and the time it will take them to complete the works..

ATVB

Paul

Stop Press

The roofing works will take about 1 week to complete and there is a lead in time of 3-4 weeks at the present time
    Last edited by PaulH; 09-08-2007 at 03:17 PM. Reason: More Info recieved

Quote Originally Posted by lobberman View Post
    I have just recieved an email from the roofing contractor with a quotation for the above, this has come in at £1500.00 plus VAT and is for a 4 week hire period, unfortunately there is no discount if the scaffold is used for less than this time.

I have also asked for lead in time and the time it will take them to complete the works..

ATVB

Paul

Stop Press

The roofing works will take about 1 week to complete and there is a lead in time of 3-4 weeks at the present time
    Guys,

As soon as the place is watertight, the BBSDIY SOS team can get started, so here
    is hoping we can get this thing done in time for Christmas

Nealsey
    I'm back.