View Poll Results: Which dates can you do in 2011?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • 16/17 Jul

2 22.22%
  • 6/7 Aug

7 77.78%
Page 20 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: I went to Stoke Mandeville today..

Spot on, Tel!

Just let me know when you're going and I'll get over there again.
    I hope to do another 'report' next week when the paint goes on.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

If anyone can give me a lift from Southampton, more than willing to lend a hand.
    If you can persuade some generous plant-hire company to lend you a mini-digger or JCB or similar for the day, I have experience operating them, (although no official-looking bit of paper ), frees up other people to go doing other stuff than just digging. Otherwise, quite happy to muck in by hand. Not especially strong, but willing (can go be tea-boy if I gets tired!).

I am crying as I type

God Bless You for what you have said, I know it to be true.
    My late Son Douglas was disabled and in his younger days he played Basketball at natiional level and in the late 1980's/early 90's the conditions at Stoke were 3 x F's, plus a few other words. It took a lot of heated discussions to get things on equal par with the facilities for the able bodied.
    In the last few years of his life he was into Archery, the facilities in this sport were fantastic as the disabled were able to train and shoot with the abled bodied.
    I would like to make a donation to help get things sorted out so that Disabled Air Gunners can enjoy the sport without any hassle.
    Please if you can find out to whom I can send my donation or can we start something up in this forum, please would you contact me. Take Care and Thank You for bringing this to our attention. Roy

Quote Originally Posted by Royboy View Post
    God Bless You for what you have said, I know it to be true.
    My late Son Douglas was disabled and in his younger days he played Basketball at natiional level and in the late 1980's/early 90's the conditions at Stoke were 3 x F's, plus a few other words. It took a lot of heated discussions to get things on equal par with the facilities for the able bodied.
    In the last few years of his life he was into Archery, the facilities in this sport were fantastic as the disabled were able to train and shoot with the abled bodied.
    I would like to make a donation to help get things sorted out so that Disabled Air Gunners can enjoy the sport without any hassle.
    Please if you can find out to whom I can send my donation or can we start something up in this forum, please would you contact me. Take Care and Thank You for bringing this to our attention. Roy
    Hi Roy, and welcome.

I'm sorry to hear of your talented son, he sounds like just the kind of person this cause is supporting.

The details for making donations can be found in this post.
    We've already raised a sum approaching £20,000 and work has begun in earnest!

We could always do with more contributions, so please, dig deep and spread the word.

Best regards,

Pete.
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

I had a quick visit to the Stoke Mandeville ranges today, and althought nobody was there, I had a look around to see what's what.

What I can say is that the roof is almost done. All that needs doing is to lay some foam onto the length of roof down the right-hand side hall, then paint it with the silvery rubber paint.

The few of us who went there for a visit some months ago will remember the dripping overflow pipe outside the building. We tightened up the valve on the toilet cistern and it slowed, but didn't stop.
    Well, it's dripping like a good'n now, so next time Rosie's up there, hopefully she'll let me know and I'll attempt to fix it.

Anyway, I took some pictures, but there isn't an amazing amount to see.

Pete.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Gulp

Typical, it's always those with so little that give so much

What a sorry state of affairs
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

HI Pete,

The roof looks 100 times better, that ditch needs digging ASAP with winter rolling in, any plans for a one day ditch work party ( six bodies maybe ).

Regards

Surprised the beeb or other media have not done an article on this.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Shame theres nothing on their website to show what is being done for them.

http://www.dtsgb.org.uk/default.html

not even a mention in their links about this site.

But still, I guess those who are giving so generously ask nothing in return.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Quote Originally Posted by steveggg View Post
    HI Pete,

The roof looks 100 times better, that ditch needs digging ASAP with winter rolling in, any plans for a one day ditch work party ( six bodies maybe ).

Regards
    I can do next Friday or Saturday, mate. I don't know how that will tie-in with you?

If there's anybody else who's up for a bit of digging at the end of the week, please say so.
    All that needs to be done is a channel cut through the ground which runs along side one wall. There's water getting in through the wall, so if the channel is cut along side the wall it will stop water getting in.

Pete.

DRIFTER is offline Don't be a hero...............

fund rasing

how about getting the two guys doing the game recipes to put them in a
    book and sell them on here like would you bye this book so the members can
    bye it so they wont hove to look up what they want then the money raised
    could go to stoke mandaville to help them get what they need for things for inside
    Shirley Daves wife

nitro Guest
    I used to teach Archery to the patients in 1961 and it was not very good then, so I wish you all the luck in your attempts to get changes,
    Kind Regards, Nitro

Thanks for that, Nitro.

Hopefully we can get the drainage problem mentioned above sorted soon.

Pete.

baxterbasics Guest

Pete:

That Drainage ditch will need perforated drainage pipe (100mm) and 20mm shingle. I am visiting one of my suppliers tommorrow-I will ask them for help-you never know your luck

As soon as you have a potential date, I'll clear that weekend.
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.