View Poll Results: Which dates can you do in 2011?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • 16/17 Jul

2 22.22%
  • 6/7 Aug

7 77.78%
Page 22 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: I went to Stoke Mandeville today..

Well, today really opened my eyes.

Met Pete, as posted above, its great to meet people that we talk to so often.

The contrast between the on-site facilities cannot be over-emphasised.

The look on Rosie's face when the range was dry inside was a great start to the day, and made me realise how small improvements can make life more bearable and facilities more welcoming.

The ditch was dug, and a repair made to the guttering to keep the water away from the building, not earth shattering stuff, but moving toward keeping the place watertight.

The toilets and sinks are in desperate need of replacement, yet all the way around Rosie was telling us what's going where, and how its going to be once its done. It certainly has loads of potential!

Watching Di shoot was awe inspiring, the level of concentration and discipline required to shoot that well was clear, watching Pete shoot at a similar target he showed how far she is ahead of us!
    I chickened out due to my fear of making myself look a complete Berk!

Beer was good to finish the day on.

I got home knackered, but having totally enjoyed the day.

Please revisit the thread when you can, and when we get to the point where larger work parties are needed, please ask yourself if you can spare some time/skill/materials, whatever you can offer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by delta1; 10-11-2007 at 09:53 PM.
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

Quote Originally Posted by delta1 View Post

Watching Di shoot was awe inspiring, the level of concentration and discipline required to shoot that well was clear, watching Pete shoot at a similar target he showed how far she is ahead of us!
    Wasn't it just!!

Di was punching clean holes right through the centre of the 4.5mm bulls, with open sights and without magnification. She's our top Great British lady paralympic shooter, and happened to bring home 1 silver medal from Australia, helping our team come back with 1 silver and 2 bronze medals.
    What's more, she is so calm and unassuming - never boasting or bigging herself up.

Some able-bodied shooters need to take note.

I'll never get used to a 1 gramme trigger, though!
    Last edited by snock; 11-11-2007 at 11:40 AM.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Wink Digging party

How do I begin to thank you all for your support in getting our shooting range watertight and warm. The roof no longer leaks and after yesterdays digging party the water won't come under the side wall. We are all really gratefully to you. Without your help we would be spending another winter with the buckets collecting the rainwater and the start of each training weekend mopping up water in the range. Once the guttering in the gulleys is sealed we will be able to dry out completely. Just one correction I don't run the shooting squad (I'm not that clever) I'm just the secretary of DTSGB. I look forward to meeting a few more of you when we have raised enough money to buy the materials needed and can organise the 'back wall' weekend.
    Rosie and every member of DTSGB

You're more than welcome, Rosie.
    I've enjoyed every minute of being up at the ranges, and I'm enjoying helping out in this immensely deserving cause!

It's a pleasure to help.

Best regards,

Pete.
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Much obliged, Rosie, and thanks to Pete and Richard for their efforts, and to Paul (Lobberman) for organising the roof-sealing job. More thanks to everyone who has donated to this worthy cause, and here's to the next phase.

Well-done, everybody!

Rosie and Rich,

I've been back to the ranges yesterday to make-safe the soak-away we dug. I've filled it in now, so nobody should be at risk if they managed to get around the back.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by snock View Post
    Rosie and Rich,

I've been back to the ranges yesterday to make-safe the soak-away we dug. I've filled it in now, so nobody should be at risk if they managed to get around the back.

Pete.
    You've filled the man-trap in?

Has it rained yet, does it work?

What can we do about the gulleys?

I can count to potato.

Quote Originally Posted by delta1 View Post
    You've filled the man-trap in?

Has it rained yet, does it work?

What can we do about the gulleys?
    Yes.

Yes, and yes.

Dunno.

In all seriousness, Rich - I really don't know what the plan is for the guttering.
    It should, as you're aware, be a complete replacement, but I think before we go on we must know how much money the fund has.

Terry or Rosie, can we get this info, please?

Pete.
    Last edited by snock; 15-11-2007 at 05:15 PM.

funds raised so far

I will get on to John our treasurer and find out the exact amount that has been raised but I'm pretty sure that it was all used up paying for the roof.
    I'm away this weekend so may not have an answer for you until the begining of next week
    Rosie

No problems, Rosie.
    In your own time.

Cheers,
    Pete.

Red face Dry shooting range

Hi everyone
    we have just had our first training weekend since the roof has been fixed. It was great to come into a range that was not damp and to be able to use all the firing points even though it rained, and boy did it rain. Unforunatly the rain was so heavy that the gulleys over the passageway and committee room couldn't cope and the buckets were out again to catch it all. The gulley digging really paid off we only had a small amount of water in (where we already know there was an broken gutter). So a great big thank you to everyone who has helped so far with this and we look forward to the next stage. Rosie

Glad to hear you've not all floated away.

Looking forward to the next visit.

Richard

I can count to potato.

Likewise, Rich. I look forward to getting stuck in again.

Pete.

Right as I ended up with the BBS Collection bucket at the Gathering, I counted the donations tonight and was slightly embarrased to tell Mr Doe that there was only £88.25 in there after all this time, I decided to double it but then thought what the heck another Ton on top would be better, so I'm in the process of transfering £188.25 into the account.

Kev

baxterbasics Guest

Thumbs up Well done Kev

You have a heart as big as a whale