View Poll Results: Which dates can you do in 2011?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • 16/17 Jul

2 22.22%
  • 6/7 Aug

7 77.78%
Page 25 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: I went to Stoke Mandeville today..

I have only just read this thread and want to offer my services for any work party - I live pretty close so travel isn't an option but have no real skills/experience but can make good tea !

Quote Originally Posted by delta1 View Post
    Any news on dates for a Work Party Pete?
    Yes Rich, there is.

I had lost the original list of dates that Rosie gave me which were best for her and her team, but I've found it again.

It's here.

If anyone has a preference as to which days are best for them, then please say and we'll do our best to accommodate them.

Pete.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

I can make a couple of those at least, Pete. So can Paul (Lobberman) although I haven't told him yet.

Let's get it going, mate.

April 12th 13th
    May 3rd 4th
    10th 11th
    Are good for me.
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

Chaps,

I can do May 3rd, and possibly May 4th [May the fourth be with you!].

There'd be:
    Me.
    Richie.
    Tel [poss?].
    Paul [poss?]

Additional bodies would be nice, but tools such as ladders etc will be needed.

Pete.
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

I've got a short ladder available, Star Wars Day would be good for me, or either day that weekend.

I can count to potato.

kieran turner is offline I GOT SHOT......IN THE BUTTOCKS
    what is being doen over these days?

So long as these days fit with Rosie - and I've no reason to think they won't, then the first job is trying to sort a leak in the roof, Kieran.

There are tins of roof sealant awaiting application, mate.

Pete.

can I beg a lift Mr Badger?

Course you can K.

We'll arrange it closer to the day.

I can count to potato.

Quote Originally Posted by delta1 View Post
    Course you can K.

We'll arrange it closer to the day.
    sound Richard so as long it's the 3/4th may as I'm on holiday there after!

I dont live close enough so I can offer my skills, but can I make a suggestion (it may have already been made but I've not read the whole thread) - do you have a journo or photog that can get involved in this?

You need to take pictures of the place before the work, during the work, and after the work. Get pics of people doing stuff, wide shots and close-ups, expressions of tiredness, elation, satisfaction, using a decent camera - 8 - 10 MP will do. Take loads, of everything that goes on.

The end result could make a fine article in the popular press that will show exactly how committed people can make a difference. It could also be a powerful visual diary that once collated and bound, and printed, with quotes and bios of the people involved - both able and less-able, that would make a politician really sit up. It is also vitally important to have something professional like this to show at fund raising events as it really makes people sit up and take notice (I know - I've had 20 years in disability services, but also work as a pro photographer).

Important to get a committed socially responsible journo involved not someone dealing with the tabloids who'd go for the cheap thrills angle. Recording the process of stuff like this is arguably as important in the longer term as the work itself.

Well done all of you.

Talking

I went to Stoke Mandeville for the first time this weekend. I am a disabled shooter and for those who have not been there, or needs the point of view of a user. It was absolutely amazing, I have only come back to shooting about 2 months ago, but once you get past the condition of the building. There were so many guys and gals there that were so friendly and willing to help. The coaches helped me with pointers and gave me plenty to think about for my next visit in May. I am not being disrespectful to anyone who has helped at the club I belong to but I learnt more about shooting from my wheelchair in one day there than in 2 months at the club, because you see how others overcome differences. I will take my camera and permissions permitting take some action shots.

Thank you for all you guys are doing.
    Steve

Right,

I need to drum up some more bodies for the May 3rd and 4th visit to Stoke Mandeville.

The main duty will be to attempt to fix a leak in the roof with some sealing mastic stuff which I believe is there at the range.
    Other jobs will include the fixing of a few leaky loos, as well as attempting to re-seal some emergency repair guttering which was put up a few months ago.

We really need folk with skills and experience with sparks, roofing and chippy skills.

Rosie Hughes, the good lady behind the S.M. ranges has asked me if there are any of you who can come down for this weekend which need to stay overnight in the Stoke Mandeville Olympic Lodge on the Saturday. She will arrange this for anyone who needs to. I believe the cost for accomodation is around a fiver!!

There will be food provided and I know a good pub nearby for after work 'de-briefing'.

So, please, please, please stick your name at the bottom of this thread if you can commit to some or all of the weekend. I will then forward location details to you.

Our national disabled shooting team need people like you to help turn their ranges into comfortable, enjoyable places to train.

Pete.

I'm there Pete, both days. Let's make a proper job of it.

And do the same in the pub! Huzzah!