View Poll Results: Which dates can you do in 2011?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • 16/17 Jul

2 22.22%
  • 6/7 Aug

7 77.78%
Page 5 of 149 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: I went to Stoke Mandeville today..

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    OK, chaps, I've spoken to the Secretary of the organisation - Disability Target Shooting Great Britain - and she's sorting out a priority list as we speak. She's absolutely overjoyed at your reaction, too.

Realistically, the prospect of getting a new building is a non-starter for all sorts of reasons, so it's a re-furb we're looking at here. What's being organised now is a meeting between the DTSGB people and a delegation from here, so we can work out between us what can and can't be done. There are 'structural complications' with the roof which will need expert input, and stopping the leaks is a major priority.

As soon as the DTSGB get back to me we'll sort out the advance party and we'll roll things out from there. Stay tuned, chaps, this IS going to happen.
    Well done Terry, let's hope we have some roofers on here as well.

Nealsey
    I'm back.

Happy to help where I can once we know what direction we are going in, I have friends in the building trade I may be able to get to help, two of my best mates one runs a plasterering company the other is an engineer of some sort working on the design and build of large buiding projects, hospitals/schools/hotels etc, way over my head but he may be willing to help, I'll ask him Saturday when I see him.

Rob.
    AA S510R TDR Hawke Vantage SF 4-16X44

Well done Terry, as a disabled shooter I am only too aware of the problems that exist, shooting fullbore at military ranges for a start! Clubs advertise as being disabled friendly yet expect everyone to be able to walk the 300m to the butts to do butt duty You can use a bicycle, fine if your disability allows but mine doesnt, and vehicles are not allowed at the butts

Myself and a couple of others got around it by having someone put several airgun size targets onto the std target board and using spotting scopes so not needing anyone to mark for us, but that took a lot of persuading as clubs dont like any changes!

Good luck with this venture it will be greatly appreciated of that I am sure

baz
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Guest Guest
    I am good at breaking things and putting up tents.

If I can help with 'anything' yell!

Main skills are in Telecoms and Organisational Planning but more than happy to jump in at 'hands on' level as well.

Dave

Mrs Keef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Again View Post
    Another thought - what about one of those TV programmes where a team have 24 hours to get something renovated, you know the type I mean but I can't remember any names.
    What about the TV programme "Challenge Anneka".

Joan

Mods,

Can we make this a sticky, "lest we forget".

Nealsey
    I'm back.

Twixt Dartmoor and Exmoor, Devon (Tiverton way)
    I think that the point that has been raised about people not wanting to align themselves with shooting needs to be taken seriously. Having said that, I think we can navigate around it if we have a properly co-ordinated approach. A 'Let's get more guns out there' type of headline is going to fail straight away. A 'Disgrace of abandoned disabled Para-Olympics sportsmen' line is much more likely to be received well. If we could get a TV company interested, it would be a great chance to show the sport and its adherents in a positive light.
    Beware the fury of a patient man... John Dryden (1631 - 1700).

My foxing website: www.foxonic.com

We need to tread a bit carefully here, chaps, because the people that own the building are helping the DTSGB in no small measure by letting them have it rent-free, and we've no wish to offend them. As is usual in charity situations, those that do contribute could, rightly, feel unfairly regarded if we go on a broad-based offensive.

For the time being, can we concentrate on assessing the situation on a practical level until we've met with the DTSGB and we truly know what's what.

That meeting is being sorted as we speak and once I know when it will take place, I'll be rounding up a posse!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post

That meeting is being sorted as we speak and once I know when it will take place, I'll be rounding up a posse!
    Terry,

Got the horse saddled and ready, just give me a couple of days notice to
    book a day off work.

Nealsey
    I'm back.

Terry, I don't know if vandalism or break-ins occur or have occured in the past, but I'm willing to supply and fit a NSI (NACOSS) Approved alarm system to either the referb or if it did happen, a new building.

My son has a disability, but has enjoyed 10m pistol shooting for the past 8 years as he can compete on an equal footing with able bodied shooters. I've seen his pleasure and would like to help others. All less able bodied should have an equal opportunity to partake in the sport of their choosing, in the best possible surroundings.

Keep me informed please.

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

Quote Originally Posted by Prone Shooter View Post
    Terry, I don't know if vandalism or break-ins occur or have occured in the past, but I'm willing to supply and fit a NSI (NACOSS) Approved alarm system to either the referb or if it did happen, a new building.

My son has a disability, but has enjoyed 10m pistol shooting for the past 8 years as he can compete on an equal footing with able bodied shooters. I've seen his pleasure and would like to help others. All less able bodied should have an equal opportunity to partake in the sport of their choosing, in the best possible surroundings.

Keep me informed please.

Bob
    And that's why I like it here so much.

Well done Bob.

Nealsey
    I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by Prone Shooter View Post
    Terry, I don't know if vandalism or break-ins occur or have occured in the past...

Funny you should say that, Bob...

Your kind offer is noted and logged, mate.

Thanks for that.

I'd like to share with you an email from DTSGB Secretary, Rosie Hughes. She sent this shortly after I'd called her to tell her that we'd like to help her people at the Stoke Mandeville range.

Hi Terry

I've just about stopped blubbing everytime I think of your phone call. (but I do blub at very happy as well as sad things) I ended up coming home on the excuse that I needed my phone charger but really I wanted to let Keith know and I knew I wouldn't be able to get the news across on the phone!! My only concern is time scales - our main fund raising for this is the Game Fair and that isn't till the end of July so any materials etc that need paying for before this would be a problem. So we may have to delay things a bit until we have some 'dosh in the pot' (but not the bit about having a look at what we need)

Thankyou loads for all your help

Rosie'

---------

Now, it's my wish, as I'm sure it's yours, that whatever we can do for the DTSGB should not strip their funding in any way - mainly because they need every penny as it is - so I'll be looking at funding options for materials we can't blag...erm...'obtain via sponsorship'.

Irons are in fires and I'll be back.

has anybody thought of contacting sir jimmy savile i take it he's still a patron of stoke madivile ???

Responses like this make me realise yet again what a cracking group of members we have here.

Once we have a focus for our efforts, hopefully there's no stopping us!
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.