View Poll Results: Which dates can you do in 2011?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • 16/17 Jul

2 22.22%
  • 6/7 Aug

7 77.78%
Page 52 of 149 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Thread: I went to Stoke Mandeville today..

Northernspark Guest
    anyone else fancy a great weekend helping our disabled shooters?

Steve

looks a bit slack this time dunnit
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Northernspark Guest
    Doesn't matter if you're not a tradesman, we need people to slap some paint on the walls, lots of people, we have lots of paint

Anyone who can spare a little of their time to help out our disabled shooters, you will be made very welcome.

Steve

Right, well it looks like it's the 1st and 2nd of November when we converge on the Stoke Mandeville ranges for our 6th[?] works party.

There are a few jobs which we need to concentrate on, these are:
    Ripping out the middle section of the back wall and replacing with ply and plastic sheeting.

Hang the last exterior door at the rear of the first hall.

Installing the Celotex insulation board in the existing back walls.

Doing what we can by way of hand driers, water heaters and bathroom appliances.

Paint.

There'll be more work to do on another works weekend, but that's not necessarily a priority right now.

If there's anything else you think we need to know or do, post it here.

Ta.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernspark View Post
    Doesn't matter if you're not a tradesman, we need people to slap some paint on the walls, lots of people, we have lots of paint

Anyone who can spare a little of their time to help out our disabled shooters, you will be made very welcome.

Steve
    well its a lot of your time, as once you have done one you cannot help doing it again, it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, and of course its to help a very very good charity
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

I'll be there.
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

Pete:

The concrete slab at the right hand side of the range has subsided at some point in the past. This could be repaired with simple concrete "underpinning" and then refinishing the damage inside the range. I only mention this, as I know that the floors are due to be repainted at some point soon

For those that have never been to a Stoke Mandiville weekend, you have missed out on a cracking and rewarding experience

A typical work party consists of:

We arrive at stoke-let the banter and pi$$taking commence No one is safe-even TD is abused by us Although it is worth remembering, when engaging his Holiness in jovial banter, expect to be beaten senseless by his sarcastic wit

The well oiled (????) machine usually splits into two or three teams and the work commences. There are all trades on site, sparks, chippies, plumbers etc-although as previously stated, we need more bodies for other works too. If you can wield a paintbrush, your help will be gratefully recieved at the next workparty.
    We are kept watered by Rosie and team who keep a good supply of tea, coffee and other beverages coming. We are then treated to a sumptuous cold buffett lunch. Rosie spoils us rotten

Back to work and the banter continues Rosie comes around with the take-away menu and we order our evening meal. Ask her nicely and she will even do an off licence run too

We go back to the very comfortable free accomodation where we wash and brush up. It's back to the range for the evening entertainment. The range is opened up and we can try our hand at rifle/ pistol shooting-great fun and a bloody good laugh. We then sit down to the evening meal together and partake of a beer or "cough" two
    Sunday morning starts with a full english breakfast-again free of charge. Then back to the range for day two of the workparty.

The team spirit is superb-everybody who has worked on this project will agree, the sense of achievment and the feeling of being part of something very special indeed, means that you will personally take away more than you could ever possibly put in

Hopefully we will see a few new faces at the next workparty-you will recieve a warm welcome and be glad you came along.

Graham
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

kieran turner is offline I GOT SHOT......IN THE BUTTOCKS
    Well bloody said Graham and I couldn't of put it any better myself!

I'd like to look back later on in life and say there was one decent thing I've done, this is it. It may seem nothing special to ourselves when we are doing it but WE will look back on this in time and be even prouder of ourselves, our sport, and the people at Stoke Mandeville.

These work parties may not seem like much but they really do make the biggest difference to the people at Stoke Mandeville! It is very humbling to do work for these very special people and I am extremeley proud to work alongside my brothers in tools on this project, you are some of the best people I have and will ever know, so for that I thank each and everyone of you. You are all the finest forms our society has to offer and I am genuinley proud to call you all friends!

So to those who haven't joined us yet I ask you to set a small amount of time to come give us a hand and make a difference.

I'll now tell a little story I have kept to myself for short while. Recently as some of you may know I did the Paras 10 and chose Stoke Mandeville as a charity to raise money for in the form of sponsorship, the only condition was that I FINISH the run.

The week running up to the run I was absolutley full of flu, not normal flu, proper northern flu. Anyway it got to the day and I felt sheite and weighed my bergen it was 44.8 lbs, 9.8lbs over weight, I left the weight in. So 10 miles with 44.8lbs of kit in combat boots and full of flu over some of the toughest terrain available.

Long story short i got to about 6 miles and was knackered, pushed on till 9 miles and for those in the know there is stupidly steep hill, it's something like 55 degrees steep(that's up). Now I started ascending the hill and I had the most horrible burning pain in my thighs I have ever experienced, it was truly excruciating! Every step was pure agony, it truly was!

All of a sudden and this is gospel, I thought of why I was doing it and the people whom I have worked with on this project and the pain went. I had images of actually being on the work party weekends and the things that had happened there and the pain just vanished and before I knew it I was at the top!

It's a strange thing the mind, but I would like to take this opportunity to thank the people at Stoke and the people who have worked there for firstly inspiration and secondly for helping me prove to myself I am capable of far greater things than I could imagine. This is the payment I took from those weekends I've worked there, inspiration and self belief. So honestly chaps thankyou.

Great stuff, K.

Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Northernspark Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kieran turner View Post
    I was absolutley full of flu, not normal flu, proper northern flu.
    Kieran, a very brave think to do that, what with having northern flu an that

See folks, a wee skinny youth like Kieran ran his heart out to raise almost £800 ( yes that's right almost £800 ) all we are asking is a little of your time.

If you can give just one day of your time to help with the works it can and will make a massive difference to people who are not fortunate to be able walk and help themselves as much as you or I can. Remember, these guys are our National disabled shooting team.

You'll be fed and watered and I can guarantee you'll having a fantastic day and a warm fuzzy feeling inside to boot.

Steve

Really looking forward to seeing you all again on the 1/2nd November (and hopefully meeting some new people) We were there for our training weekend this weekend and I still can't believe we have hot water in the kitchen and one of the toilets!! I show everyone who comes in. Please let me know asap who needs a dorm bed so that I can get them booked and also if I need to order a skip (and what size)
    See you soon
    Rosie

Northernspark Guest
    I need a bed rosie and can you order a skip for Kieran to sleep in please?

Steve

so how many we got coming this time then? dont sound like many

The good news is that I'll be having a room not a dorm, so you'll all get some sleep at least.
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

How did you swing that Rich?

Did the other lads chip in?
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter