Thread: Percussion single shot: best choice?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Percussion single shot: best choice?

From what I'm learning about black powder pistol shooting - and all I know is second hand, I have no direct experience - it seems that probably the easiest type to shoot, and the wisest choice for a beginner, would be a rifled, single-shot, percussion.

Why?

Flintlocks / wheelocks/ matchlocks

- Require the use of real black powder, which is messy, corrosive, dangerous to handle and store, and often requires special permits.

- Have slower lock time.

- Have less reliable ignition.

- The pistols are frequently smoothbores, hence less accurate.

Percussion revolvers

- Have more complicated mechanisms, hence are more prone to malfunction, hence require more work, skill, expense, parts, to keep operational.

- I hear bad things about their sights.

- They seem to be awkward, bulky, compared to single shots.

- More work to clean properly, more potential for damage if you fail to.

- More dangerous, because they're spitting powder and may spit lead shavings out the cylinder: may ignite more than one chamber at once.

- Dirtier to the shooter, for the same reason.

Rifled percussion single shots

- Simple, enclosed firing mechanism: lighter, safer, clean lines: more reliable ignition than flint, more accurate than smooth, very little to go wrong.

Comments?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Revolvers are not that bad and are a lot of fun to shoot.
    They are not that much work to clean and certainly not dangerous as long as your not a complete idiot.

The best thing to do would be get along to a club and try a few different types of gun before you decide what to buy.

I have recently bought a single shot pistol and already have a revolver, they are very different things and each has it pro's and con's.