Thread: Another long range attempt.

Another long range attempt.

Going down the club this weekend to try some more long range with the EV2 and the Zenith. If conditions are good I will do 100yds with both and compare the groups. I am using JSBs in the Zenith and Mosquitoes in the EV2, so it should be interesting.

I have made some special boards up just for the occasion.
    They measure 4ft tall by 3ft wide with inch spacings from top to bottom. Will take the camera and hopefully get some pics of a descent group.

Watch this space.

a descent group
    Is that a new way of referring to vertical stringing?

Pedantry aside, it sounds both fun and interesting - perfect!-, and I look forward to seeing the results.

SIHFT Winners 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - AND 2014....2015..2016...oh look back at green...running out of colours! Ha!

Results of the 2nd long range attempt.

It seemed like an ideal day to attempt another crack at long range. Got to the club at 10am, and there was a very slight breeze from left to right, but nothing to worry about.

Set out the cards on the 100yd range at Dowry Hill, then proceeded to get all the kit ready.

After filling both guns to 190bar, I got the table ready which I was using to bencrest from.

I started with the EV2/Leupold Competition 40mag combo. I knew from previous experience that 100yds is around 3 full turns up from my 35yd Zero, which is where I started, it was shooting a little high so I re-dialled and knocked 12 clicks off. After a few attempts, just to get the feel of the conditions really, I began to try and get some good groups. The wind was worse than I thought, I would get 2-3 pellets inside 40mm then 1 would go low, or way left or right. I started to choose the right time to release the trigger, looking at the trees and feeling the wind on my face. After several more attempts, the best 5 shot group was 58mm C T C. I decided to give it a rest and went inside to do some 25yd Benchresting.

1 hour later I was ready for another go. This time with the Zenith/Leupold Competition 40mag combo. I got a few groups between 50 and 60mm with the JSB 4.51s. I decided to try the mosquitoes in the Zenith.....WOW!! what a surprise, on my 3rd attempt I got a 49mm C T C group of 5 shots...not bad.

Now for the EV2 again, same set up as earlier. A few attempts saw groups of 45-50mm, which I was really happy with. I noticed that the wind had died down a little and the trees were not moving as much as before. I went for it again, this time shooting the disc which was very low to the ground. First try saw an improvment of 1mm, getting a 48mm C T C 5 shot group, beating the previous attempt with the Zenith by 1mm.

The bit was now firmly between my teeth and I went for another go. Again shooting low to the ground. First 3 shots were very close together, I knew this could be a good group, trying my best to stay composed and not snatch the trigger I let the next shot off.. phew...it joined the others. Pressure was no on to get the final shot of the group close enough. I released the final shot and it landed a bit left and bit lower from the lowest shot of the group.....still not too bad. I went up to measure and take pictures, and to my surprise the 5 shot group measured only 32mm C T C.....I was over the moon.

One of the lads who shoot Small-Bore came over to have a chat and asked what I was doing, he was very surprised when I told him I was attenpting to group 5 shots within 40mm at 100yds.

The thing I have learned from this is..... there was no way I could get consecutive groups of less than 45mm. My average grouping on the day (4 hours of trying) was around 60mm. The day was by no means perfect, and I will try again on a very still day.

Regards. Neil.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...2/DSCN1494.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...2/DSCN1493.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...2/EV2-48mm.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...2/EV2-32mm.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...enith-60mm.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...enith-49mm.jpg
    Last edited by sniper-wolf; 11-05-2008 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nyamazan View Post
    32mm is excellent grouping at 100yd. Your rifle must really be shooting well.( You as well)
    I have read a lot about those mosquitoes but haven't seen them over here. Are they marketed under some other name perhaps? I think using a good pellet brand has a lot to do with your success.
    Are you using a 12ft/lb rifle.

The mosquitoes are very similar to the old crossman premiers. I think they are also badged as Defiants.
    It took several attempts to get that group. My EV2 is a sub 12FPE rifle, as is the Zenith, it is running at 805FPS with the Mosquitoes which weigh only 7.9grains. The FPS spread over the chrono is less than 7FPS. I did get a few groups of around 50mm with the heavier pellets, such as JSB 4.51s and Air Arms Field 4.52s.

Well done mate, but don't get obsessed now will you. I'm currently investigating using Mosquitos in my EV2 Mk.II, first results are looking very good. Regards ... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

Scot From Stirling Living in Chelmsford Essex
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper-wolf View Post
    The mosquitoes are very similar to the old crossman premiers. I think they are also badged as Defiants.
    Excellent shooting Neil.
    Defiants btw are a totally different pellet. Only 7.5 grain and can run up to about 840fps. Air Ammo (Paul) supplies them as well as JSB
    Webley Mosquito is made by JSB exclusively for Webley in the UK.
    A similar JSB branded pellet JSB Exact Express also 7.9 grain is available outside of UK.
    I have both and cannot tell them apart.

Craig uses Mozzies in his Zenith at about 810 fps

see you Sunday
    atb
    Barry

Thanks for clearing that up Barry. Hope to see you and Craig at GP3 on Sunday. ATB. Neil.

Excellent shooting

I can't imagine shooting 100m with a sub 12ft/lb gun, you did very well

I've been shooting long range with FAC guns for around 2 years.
    It is very frustrating- get better for a spell then change guns and pellets different rests

Buxted County HFT Republic of Crowzilla Sussex
    Aren't Webley Mosquitos like Crosman Premieres

and

Webley Mosquito Express like /are JSB dervatives?

Andy
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

how hard?

How hard can that be i thought
    Well I had a go at it today at the club range and i can tell you it's f***in difficult.
    Ive posted link to my best effort so far but i will get it tighter
    This is really addictive stuff I must say. Oh and what you dont see are all the other larger groups I shot in the preceding hour

Equipment used:
    Steyr FT .177
    Meopta meostar R1 4*16*44 scope @ 16 mag
    jsb exact diabolo heavy

Go on have a go at it

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x.../lrange001.jpg
    http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x.../lrange002.jpg

Oh, thats a £2.00 coin not a £1.00 lol

thats still very good man as it is if it were a 1 pound coin it would be hard to believe for some including myself

i shot a very impressive one holer yesterday very confidently [although i was surprised ] with some bismags at 40 yds maybe the width of a .25 pellet 5 shots. the surprising thing was it wasnt done with jsbs or my usual AA pellets but plain old bisleys from the tin
    If i didnt have a Falcon i would have a Rapid

Quote Originally Posted by Br0dy View Post
    How hard can that be i thought
    Well I had a go at it today at the club range and i can tell you it's f***in difficult.
    Ive posted link to my best effort so far but i will get it tighter
    This is really addictive stuff I must say. Oh and what you dont see are all the other larger groups I shot in the preceding hour

Equipment used:
    Steyr FT .177
    Meopta meostar R1 4*16*44 scope @ 16 mag
    jsb exact diabolo heavy

Go on have a go at it

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x.../lrange001.jpg
    http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x.../lrange002.jpg

Oh, thats a £2.00 coin not a £1.00 lol
    Hi Brody, that's quite impresive mate. Try using a lighter pellet instead of the JSB Heavies which are 10.5grain I think. Use some lighter pellets, such as JSB 4.51, 4.52 and 4.53s Also try AA field and Mosquitoes. I have just done some shorter range testing with Defiants which weigh only 7.5grain and JSB 4.53, both giving very good results at 50yds. I will try them at 100yds when I get a nice day.

Well done again mate.

Neil.

I had a go at longer range shooting today at both 70yds and 100yds.

This was purely for my experimentation at the moment to find the drops on 2 rifles. A Rapid MK2 set on 4x mag and a Ripley AR5s set on 10x both in .177 used and I aimed off using the mildots.

70yd Results
    Rapid smallest group 1 3/4" in vertical plane and 3" horizontal plane.
    Ripley smallest group 1" vertical and 2" horizontal

100yds
    Rapid 1st attempt
    Vertical 5" Horizontal 7" realised I had left parralax at 30yds
    2nd attempt
    Vertical 2" Horizontal 4"
    Ripley Vertical 1 1/2" Horizontal 4"

Wind conditions were a slight left to right, overcast. Rifles shot from beanbag.

Will experiment again next weekend.
    infensus procul vox locus procul nefas vicis
    I aimed at the right place at the wrong time.

Quote Originally Posted by andyiow View Post
    I had a go at longer range shooting today at both 70yds and 100yds.

This was purely for my experimentation at the moment to find the drops on 2 rifles. A Rapid MK2 set on 4x mag and a Ripley AR5s set on 10x both in .177 used and I aimed off using the mildots.

70yd Results
    Rapid smallest group 1 3/4" in vertical plane and 3" horizontal plane.
    Ripley smallest group 1" vertical and 2" horizontal

100yds
    Rapid 1st attempt
    Vertical 5" Horizontal 7" realised I had left parralax at 30yds
    2nd attempt
    Vertical 2" Horizontal 4"
    Ripley Vertical 1 1/2" Horizontal 4"

Wind conditions were a slight left to right, overcast. Rifles shot from beanbag.

Will experiment again next weekend.
    if the vertical component of your groups is such as you describe then you can certainly get your groups to about 1.5". the horizontal dispersion is probably due to wind but it depends how strong the wind is where you are shooting. you could either wait between shots so as to reduce that horizontal dispersion or else watch your trigger pull. i would still prefer to zero in for 100 then holding off, it will also help reduce size of groups. watch the wind mate..