Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rogers and spencer .44 BP revolver????

rogers and spencer .44 BP revolver????

as above anyone got anything to say about them?

last night got my ticket sorted for a .44 BP revolver, most people at the club got the pietta 1858 NMA target stainless, but me being me fancied something a little different

the rogers and spencer was mentioned by someone and just wondered if people had experiences with them good or bad that they might share??

adjustable sights and stainless are my preferences but not carved on stone

or should I follow the herd??

I've got one, luvverly thing :-)

Fixed sights, but the front is on a dovetail to allow a bit of sighting...

I find the grip is better (bigger) than the Remingtons and fit's my hand better..

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~gobl.../manicgrin.jpg
    15x 303s, 1x .223, 1x 7.62, 1x .308, 8x .22s, 1x7.5, 1x30-06, 2x.357, 1x45-110, 1x45acp, 2x32-20, 1x.50, 2x12bore, 1x 357lbr, 1x .22 lbp and some others... 42 currently :-)

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by goblin357 View Post
    I've got one, luvverly thing :-)

Fixed sights, but the front is on a dovetail to allow a bit of sighting...

I find the grip is better (bigger) than the Remingtons and fit's my hand better..

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~gobl.../manicgrin.jpg
    Goblin, you look so happy with that revolver that the company should use this picture in its ads!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

DUDE that manic grin has sold it to me LOL

ah now thats very interesting that you mention the grips, the pietta that they all use does feel too small in my mitts, fingers feel like they coming round too far, and as my golf clubs had larger grips due to long fingers etc, Im betting that its a far guess its the problem with this also

any weaknesses or comments that you can offer on yours??

Quote Originally Posted by tony1975 View Post

adjustable sights and stainless are my preferences but not carved on stone
    A Ruger Old Army, maybe? They've been discontinued by the manufacturer (see thread below) but there are a lot of second hand specimens out there.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

My club bought three brand new Rogers and Spencer .44 last year, on the guns first outing one broke, and within a month all three were returned to the manuacture to be repaired.

A friend of mine bought a used one, and hasnt had any problems with it, but he dosnt fire it that oftern.

I would say a used Ruger Old Army has to be the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by tony1975 View Post

ah now thats very interesting that you mention the grips, the pietta that they all use does feel too small in my mitts, fingers feel like they coming round too far, and as my golf clubs had larger grips due to long fingers etc, Im betting that its a far guess its the problem with this also
    I have the opposite problem (small hands): I suspect I'd probably do better with a .36 Navy, or something like that.

Any owner of such have any thoughts?

Jim

The only prob I've had with mine (on the first outing!) the lock screw that retains the 'press' comes loose, and lets the press come out as you push the ball down, thus snapping the press quite nicely!
    Easy repair and now I know not an issue.
    Mines an old un, so new ones may be better than that.

rogers and spencer

Had the same problem with mine. Pin came out when loading bending it beyond use. Bought a new one from Kranks and made my own locking screw, not had any other trouble since which is about 7 years. Mine is the std .44 model in london grey and it is probably my favorite gun. I use 18grns of TS2 powder with a semolina filler, a .451" home cast ball and wonderlube to seal/lube. Caps are remington no 11s which neither stick or fall off.
    Like all black powder firearms you need to experiment with different caps, powder charges ect to find the best combination for your own particular gun.
    The Rogers is probably not quite as well made as the Ruger that i had but i find it nicer to shoot. Lighter, bigger grip making for a better hold and easier to get the caps on the nipples. Also very easy to clean, just remove the grips and the cylinder and drop the lot "exept wooden grips" in hot soapy water. give it 5 mins and clean out barrel/chambers with a swab and allow to dry. With the metal being hot it self drys inside or you can attack it with the wifes hair dryer. Give it a spray with lube and job done. These things make the Rogers a delight to own and shoot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Smile

No-brainer here. Since you are keen to shoot BP AND have a yen to go anachronistic with precision sights, the ROA has to be THE choice.

It, too, comes with pretty small grips, but I have Pachmayrs on mine.

It will also be 24 years old this year, and has had a ton of lead down it without showing more than a few shiny spots from use - still on the original nipples, too. 90% of my shooting has been with Pyrodex P, as my home insurance won't allow me to have BP.

You will not be sorry - over a million of us can't ALL be wrong.

Best

tac

Been meaning to ask about the R&S:

1. Anyone got any links for full disassembly insructions for this gun? I'm getting one at some point and want to mug up.

2. The technique one of you described above of removing the grips and dumping in hot soapy water. Does that go OK for blued examples, or just stainless? Don't you get some corrosion inside the gubbins?

Curious
    Yes but apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the performance?

bigglesworth Guest
    Here you go, my Mousey friend http://cwsutler.hypermart.net/PartsRaS.jpg
    PartsRaS.jpg (JPEG Image, 600x474 pixels) http://cwsutler.hypermart.net/Part.html
    Winchester Sutler (540)888-3595 replacement Parts for Civil War Euroarms muskets & revolvers: Springfield, Enfield, Mississippi, Zouave, Colt, Remmington, Rogers & Spencer pistol

Kenny.

P.S. regarding cleaning;Tim 56`s advice is spot on for both Blued and stainless finishes (but it don`t half stink your kitchen out!!!)
    Last edited by bigglesworth; 17-06-2008 at 02:25 PM.

Righto, Bigglesworth. Thanks for those tips. Just what I needed to know. Sounds ideal from a cleaning point of view. Not at all like the Remington I've got, which seems to harbour thick black crud and always needs dismantling to the last screw for cleaning.

Great handle by the way: do "people DIE when you get upset"?
    Yes but apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the performance?

Personally I don't think there much to chose between most replicas of black powder revolvers. Many of the shooters in one of my clubs use R&S pistol with no problems. Some say it's one of the best shooters (often one comes First in comps) but thats their opinion, saying that I can't rate the Ruger Old Army high enough (buy an ROA you know you want to)

Just back from the club after shooting my R&S.

Clean up time.

boil kettle

drop cylinder out

brush then pour water down barrel

brush then water over cylinder, get it nice and hot

shake it dry then a quick spray with WD40

jobs a good'un

5mins, but I use triple7 so no contest.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane