Thread: Relum Tornado replacement spring question

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)

Relum Tornado replacement spring question

I am rebuilding a Relum Tornado, a n operaiton that is going well. I've decided to replace the spring, and will use a BSA Meteor spring with a floating guide. A question to those knowledgeable out there, does the spring require shorterning before use?

i wouldnt shorten it, the meteor is a long spring but not as thick steel compared to say the mercury spring which is shorter, count the coils on each spring, if they are roughly the same try it first

It's over a quarter of a century since I wrote an Airgun World tuning article for the Tornado, recommending fitting a Meteor spring and a floating guide tube, and it seems to have become accepted as the best way to re-spring a Tornado. The reason I chose the Meteor spring is that it was the only one I had to hand that fitted.

So yes - the Meteor spring should fit without shortening.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Many thanks everyone, I will follow accepted pratice and use the BTDT patent formula for this one! Its my first full rebuild may give a report on the level of success later on.

I8 think chambers still stock the two springs that the Tornado is known for,
    £9 odd.......

Smile relum spring

Hi
    Bsa Lightning spring will fit but will need a spring follower.
    Crono the gun after fitting as 11.8 ftlbs.
    insure the spring turns freely in the piston or it will be noisy on cocking.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by oilyreid View Post
    Hi
    Bsa Lightning spring will fit but will need a spring follower.
    Crono the gun after fitting as 11.8 ftlbs.
    insure the spring turns freely in the piston or it will be noisy on cocking.
    Nick
    Hi, For what its worth, ! I would go with the original 2, springs,
    For those of you who have not cocked one, Its an easy start, Its not linear, You pull back & the second spring kicks in, Its unique !!!

If you haven,t experienced it, You know,
    I also stay with the leather washer , As you can see, I have a number of pistons, Some washers are rivetted, Some screwed Etc, Pistons & Actions vary in length,
    Its also true of the triggers, 2, types, Export cylinder, middle of the road, & the ones we got ?

But this is my favourite Pic _

This is a pic of a bsa Lightning gas ram, Trying to get in a Relum piston, ( It has a task on its hands , The Lightning spring is TOoo big !)

I have a number of Relum spares if anyone wants them, Stocks, Barrels, Action, & a Gun ( I think )

Cheers Ged,