Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Gun for a 9 year old ?

Recommended Gun for a 9 year old ?

Ok that time has come, I need to look fo a light weight hunting gun of a average sized but lightish framed son of mine aged 9 and his brother a rather big 6 year old - looks almost 8

All my guns are just to heavy or to long in stock for them to shoulder properly.

Theyve tried my Alros trailsman, Air Arms TDR and similar sized guns but theyre 'just' to big or heavy for them to handle. Also tried the crossman pistol stock co2 gun but the stock is to long and is uncomfortable for the boys to put their arm through the hollow stock for hunting ?

Are there any lighter weight PCP's with short stocks for this size of child ? thought of the S200 but not sure

10 ft/lb or there abouts would be good power wise, any other shooters out there found a well fitting gun for this age group ?

Many thanks all

I would say that the Air Arms S200 would be the ideal solution.

Neil
    Current airguns:- Steyr LG110: Steyr LP10: Air Arms HFT500: Weihrauch97 fully customised.

Just my 10 pence worth, perhaps a light pistol to start them off.

Bill

S200 is probably the way forward, but look for an older one with the 2 piece stock. Bsa ultra is a possibility, but are heavy for their size.
    Theoben MFR CS800 .177/Burris Timberline, Theoben Evo .177/ Burris Timberline, BSA Supersport .25, Haenel XX, BSA Ultra .177/ Burris Timberline.

s200 is seconded, great rifle for the money and there nice and light too
    AA s410 classic .177 walnut thumbhole+custom raised cheekpiece stock, BTAS regulated, Bushnell ledgend 5-15x40, Rowan barrel band. AA silencer, harris 9-13 bipod, Fenix TK 11 R2 tactical light.

I think you should reconsider the S200,they are great little rifles.Also you could chop a bit off the stock to make it fit,and as they get older and bigger you could just add spacers to the butt.The other one in mind is the BSA Ultra,the action is smaller than the S200 and with the butt chopped on one of these it will be an ideal gun for a junior shooters.Anyway those are my two suggestions,maybe someone else will think of some others.Atb

Quote Originally Posted by Bill50 View Post
    Just my 10 pence worth, perhaps a light pistol to start them off.

Bill
    Not, I think, for hunting though eh?

laity is offline Dumb “Platinum” Blonde
    BSA Ultra..has to be i reckon.

LAity
    Lots and lots of guns !

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Ratcatcher/King Ratcatcher, very short, very light, ideal.
    Cheap to buy new, reasonable resale value, win/win situation!

HTH.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

kid gun

BSA Cadet. No need for fancy potentially expensive stuff-they are kids. Start at the bottom and work up then they will enjoy and more imp appreciate a more sophisticated version later. S200 indeed pah-peshore.

Nodmeister is offline All I ask is that you are inventive but kind
    Strange nobodys mentioned the Falcons yet. I had an FN12 Raptor which was real light weight, of course you could go lighter with the FN12 LightHunter. I found mine to be an excellent gun, I regret ever parting with it.

Paul
    BSA R10 .177 Nikko Stirling Gameking 4-16x44A/O

Quote Originally Posted by Retracted_Yeti View Post
    Ratcatcher/King Ratcatcher, very short, very light, ideal.
    Cheap to buy new, reasonable resale value, win/win situation!

HTH.

Roy.
    The Rat catcher is small and light, but they have quite a long pull lengh, even for an adult.

get busy with a saw tape and sand paper and make a smaller stock with a carbine action.
    I have seen a few daystates like this I think somebody on here had one ages ago they may be able to help if they see this thread.
    good luck anyway and its nice that you include the boys in your hobby. my small lad has a realtree dipped ratty and loves it
    Enjoy every step you take, you never know which one will be your last.

jinx is offline Southern Hunter Champion.
    Take a look here, this is what i did for my lad's 9th birthday present. He has grown a bit and the stock has been changed and now looks like this. There really isn't much of a choice when it come to junior sized pcp's, this is, unless you are prepared to make a stock to fit.

jinx is offline Southern Hunter Champion.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr-punch View Post
    I have seen a few daystates like this I think somebody on here had one ages ago they may be able to help if they see this thread.
    That was zooankski, he cut down a MK3RT for his son to use.