Thread: begginers pistol ?

begginers pistol ?

I was very tempted the other day to purchase a gammo compact(the nice looking one) new for 145. But still looking as want a cheap one to start with. Has anyone got info on a p800, I think its a gammo springer for 40ish pound new. Yes I know you get what you pay for, just thinking it may be a possible introduction to pistols.

Grab a copy of this months airgun World, they have a review of the p800.
    Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20 - Air Arms TX200 HC .177
    FX Verminator .177 - Theoben Evolution .177

i had a hatsan mod20 (i think) bought second hand for 18 quid on here.

cheap pistol but more accurate than the crossman co2 thing i replaced it with.

15 yard beercans were easily hit over 90% of the time with the hatsan and it seemed to retain a bit more power downrange compared to the co2 that bounced off card at 15 yards!!!

if you up your budget a bit you can get a Crosman 1377 pump up which is an excellent pistol for the £70 price or a used HW40.

Pistol Reviews

Hit This link. Just name your choice of gun.
    http://www.reviewcentre.com/products325.html

I have a P800 that my sons left at home when they joined the forces. See pic in my sig. I bought it for the lads as a good entry level air pistol when they were younger and wanted to come pistol shooting with me.

For the money it does everything you would want of a first springer air pistol.

On the plus side it is a simple to use pistol, it's solidly built and can take being knocked around. It has a basic safety catch, and points reasonably well in the hand. It is a medium sized grip and so suits most hands. The foresight is protected under a circular shroud which prevents damage to the sight or your hands while cocking. It is reasonably powerful but not difficult to cock.

On the minus side, the sights are adjustable in windage only, (or at least they are on this older one I have here), and are a bit thin for proper target shooting. The trigger is also a bit too heavy for really accurate target work.

Overall I would say it is well worth the money. It holds its price quite well on the second hand market. A good one would probably sell for 30ish quid here.

I dont think you would regret getting one but would probably want to move on to something a bit more accurate as your shooting progressed.

HTH

Pete
    Plot ?... What Plot ?... I thought you had it !!
    Good Deals with Good Folks

I'm glad you all seem reasonably impressed with the P800 Pete. Thats what I'm getting for the spring section of the shooting comp..
    get one seanyboy, then we can compare notes.....

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

Well..... thanks very much chaps.
    I have been tempted so many times by 40/45/compacts etc, but its always in the back of my head"you can't shoot a rifle, so forget a pistol". This does seem like a cheap intro so am going to go ahead and get one.
    Does anyone know a dealer in the northwest(wigan area) that stocks these.
    Also, am I too late to join in with the gentlemens comp??????
    Firestorm.....will do mate. "Nice bikes".

Seanyboy,

Don't worry too much, you'll end up like me.......

Only got my first pistol ,EB22, end of March.
    Within 3 weeks I got my Compact off Eric (Eredel), and now I've got a PPK, and looking for either a 1911 or S&W 586 ish.

Its like a drug, I tell you.

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357