Thread: help needed

berthaboo Guest

help needed

i went out on saterday to have a play with my new fac rapid mk1 and took my 6 year old son and took my old webly excel for him to shoot some of them chalk targets that blow up. The thing is that he could not hold it as it was to heavy as i had guessed and as its a springer i cannot put a bipod on it. so has anyone got an idea what kind or rifle i can get him to use i am thinking about the rat cather but not sure please help

if he isnt going to be shooting all the time then the ratcatcher would serve until he is abit older i think. however it does have a very long stock on it, with a scope i find i have to stretch my head foward to see properly thru the scope. you could always cut it down if you're DIY skills are up to scratch
    also the rattie has a manual safety which will help him learn to make safe etc

i agree with gaz there...they seem like good little guns should be perfect for you 6 yr old

bennyblanco Guest
    zooankski just bought his 8 year old an s200, very good stalking guns

RemMag is offline We're getting married, Weevie and me.
    The Cometa 50 is an excellent little pint sized springer for about £70, several other spring gun manufacturers also do similiar guns for youngsters. (Have only ever experienced the Cometa though!)

Learning to shoot with an open sighted springer will be good for him, and cheaper for you (no gas etc.). As he gets older and wants to shoot more it will be a simple matter to upgrade to Meteors, supersports etc. etc.

Alex

Muddy Gumboots Guest

HW25

On a similar note to Alex's post, you might consider the HW25 - I'm buying one of these for my youngest brother. The starter kit is about £110. I can't comment on the Cometa, having never used on, but I'd certainly prefer the HW25 to a Ratcatcher - it's a simple, robust rifle.

bennyblanco Guest
    i find a hornet quite heavy, christ knows what a six year old would think

The very small kids at my club all shoot Ratties because they can't carry a PCP or springer and couldn't cock the springer anyway. A six year old is a very small child, indeed.

Mick
    Another Old Git.

I think the rattie is a good choice, nice and cheap.

Ravenskull Guest
    griffons are fairly short too- maybe ok size wise?

berthaboo Guest
    i still think its going to be a ratty as i dont rate cometas as a friend has the 300 and i dont like the feel of it as for an AA i had a 410 and after a few props i wont buy another AA ever again so it looks like a ratty also some one said about cutting the stock down which will help as his arm are not that long thanks for all your post it has helped good hunting

i dont think its wise investing in a PCP for a young child. atleast a ratcatcher will do with minimal fuss and cost until the boy is big enough to shoot a springer