Thread: Backstop for shooting Crossman 2240

Backstop for shooting Crossman 2240

Hi everyone,

I am new to airguns and am wondering what you would recommend as a safe backstop for the above pistol. I am using it in the back garden - neighbours left and right. 6 foot solid panel fence both sides. Garden has got quite a lot of hard landscaping - ie. red brick planters. I am aiming to shoot from 10m. I thought of using a 1m by 1m piece of marine ply covered in 2 layers of old carpet to prevent ricochet. Could stapple taget to that. Any thoughts, innovative home solutions greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    John

chip board is good i use that and im going to use a phone book to stop pellets so as not to do too much damage to the board i have a rifle so i have 5 boards and it goes through 1 at least

Portable Backstop.

Mine consists of a stainless steel roasting tin, 2 rectangles of tin cut from cheap baking trays, 13 nuts & bolts (all from Wilkinsons), & all the lead from used pellets I can find.

Take the baking trays & cut the raised edges off so the remaining rectangles of tin fit inside the roasting tin. (A normal roasting tin would be better, but I could only get a stainless one at the time).

When the tin has bin placed in the roasting tin, mark up five holes, one in each corner & one in the middle. Drill these holes & bolt the pieces of tin into the roasting tin.

Now fit the angled brackets to the ends of the roasting tin by drilling holes & bolting them to the tin so the one side of the bracket is fitted so you can screw or bolt a piece of wood to the back of the roasting tin.

Before you fit a piece of wood, say, chip board with a margin of 3 or 4 inches around the edge of the roasting tin, get all the used pellets that you can & melt them down in the roasting tin. This will keep the sound down, BUT BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN MELTING DOWN LEAD. DO IT IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA & BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN IT GETS ALL RUNNY!

Chris.
    Far too many rifles & pistols to mention here.

Quote Originally Posted by cinstone View Post
    Mine consists of a stainless steel roasting tin, 2 rectangles of tin cut from cheap baking trays, 13 nuts & bolts (all from Wilkinsons), & all the lead from used pellets I can find.

Take the baking trays & cut the raised edges off so the remaining rectangles of tin fit inside the roasting tin. (A normal roasting tin would be better, but I could only get a stainless one at the time).

When the tin has bin placed in the roasting tin, mark up five holes, one in each corner & one in the middle. Drill these holes & bolt the pieces of tin into the roasting tin.

Now fit the angled brackets to the ends of the roasting tin by drilling holes & bolting them to the tin so the one side of the bracket is fitted so you can screw or bolt a piece of wood to the back of the roasting tin.

Before you fit a piece of wood, say, chip board with a margin of 3 or 4 inches around the edge of the roasting tin, get all the used pellets that you can & melt them down in the roasting tin. This will keep the sound down, BUT BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN MELTING DOWN LEAD. DO IT IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA & BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN IT GETS ALL RUNNY!

Chris.
    Thanks for that Chris. Sound is a big issue and I will give this a try. Thanks again, John

I knocked up a small open fronted box from chipboard. The opening has a lip at the bottom and a dowel across the top. Fill box with rags and clip target to dowel. When the mood takes you, shake the rags out in a bucket to collect all the pellets. Replace rags and off you go again

Completely silent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    I knocked up a small open fronted box from chipboard. The opening has a lip at the bottom and a dowel across the top. Fill box with rags and clip target to dowel. When the mood takes you, shake the rags out in a bucket to collect all the pellets. Replace rags and off you go again

Completely silent.
    Excellent and I can use the pellets for casting bullets!
    Thanks