Ok, first of all i'd just like to say hello to everybody here on the forum, i've spent a couple of days reading and researching and you all seem like a pleasant and knowledgable bunch. I'm james, living in pontefract, i notice one or two of you are members of the ponte gun club.

Now, it's been years since i've fired a rifle (and that was a cheap, £10 job i bought from one of my mates as a boy) but for some reason i seem to have developed a sudden urge to own one. I plan to mainly use it for shooting cans, target practice, that kind of thing. And hopefully a little light hunting once i'm feeling capable.

I'm considering spending upto around £300 on a ready to use gun (rifle, scope, pellets) but to be honest i'd probably rather spend closer to 200. I've been looking at various rifles, including the hw95, tx200, a theoben sirocco? But the only thing i know about any of them is what i've read on here. I don't want to buy the wrong thing and end up disappointed.

So my question, if any of you would be good enough to answer (and if you've not got bored and stopped reading by this point) is, quite simply, what would you recommend for this kinda price range, and why? All opinions welcome, and greatly appreciated. I know the best thing to do is really to try them out, but this in not really an option as i don't drive and travelling is kinda awkward. So i'm counting on you guys!

Sorry for the overly longwinded first post, and huge thanks in advance!

James