Paid a visit to my friendly neighbourhood arms dealer with the intention of picking up another tin of Webley Mosquito (AKA JSB Express) for the 99s. During the journey, I started to think that maybe I should try something different.

She's already been fed a tin each of Mosquito, JSB RS and RWS Super-H-Point and doesn't seem at all fussy. I considered H&N FTT - usually a safe bet in an HW barrel - or maybe Superdome, which the old Haenel II DRP loves, (so they wouldn't sit collecting dust if the 99s wasn't that keen).

In the shop, staring at the vast selection of available brands in the counter display, I spotted the Sniper Light. Now, I had some very good results using Sniper Magnum in a gasser a couple of years ago and had been wanting to try the Lights in a springer ever since, but hadn't come across any. Exit shop with two tins (500 pellets).

Back at the ranch, on opening a tin, I thought for a split second that I'd been had. They were so bright and shiny, I thought I'd been fobbed off with a tin of alloys - but packaging, weight and price said otherwise.

After a dozen or so shots on the plinking range to season the barrel and get a feel of the firing cycle and trajectory, it was time to sit at the bench and batter the living daylights out of the various spinners. Every pellet seated with the same amount of pressure, the firing cycle of the 99s was sublime and I could see from the lead splashes that they were every bit as accurate as the JSB variants.

My pal turned up - and after having a couple of goes with the 99s, asked if he could try them in his 80. With the 4x scope fitted, he was soon cutting 1/4" ctc groups - even I managed to cut a couple that small. (We got through half a tin between us in under two hours). I'll definitely be buying more - and so will he. The acid test will be to see if they perform as well against quarry as the softer JSBs...