Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Worlds in South Africa

2009 Worlds in South Africa

In the absence of any formal announcement from WFTF, the South African Field Target Airgun Association has stated on their own website that they are hosting the worlds in 2009.

How many folk here would be interested in going to SA to compete and what would you be hoping for in terms of the type of venue such a shoot should be held at?

I'm not sure if I will be attending but some nice countryside would be perfect, a few trees included as open grassland might get bit boring.

Seeing as the competitors will be spending a lot of time at the shooting venue you want to see some nice rolling countryside, no Lions though please as I'd make a too tempting meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    I'm not sure if I will be attending but some nice countryside would be perfect, a few trees included as open grassland might get bit boring.

Seeing as the competitors will be spending a lot of time at the shooting venue you want to see some nice rolling countryside, no Lions though please as I'd make a too tempting meal.:D
    hi pete.

it would have to be a big pride to finish you off at one sitting.

cheers
    mark
    Ev2 & Tx200

When I ask about the sort of venue, as well as the award of the worlds, one thing I have heard - although unconfirmed at this stage, is that they may host it at the Pretoria club - now this range is on the fringe of the city of Pretoria (like 10-15mins drive from city centre) and close to several major highways (I have shot FT at this venue so I am familiar with it). Given the expectations of people considering travelling to 'Africa' would you be happy with a venue that is suburban - and I am not talking somewhere that has the 'old world colonial' feel of say Bisley here.

Quote Originally Posted by saw20010 View Post
    hi pete.

it would have to be a big pride to finish you off at one sitting.

cheers
    mark
    It's not a very comforting thought that they might not be able to finish me in one sitting

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    When I ask about the sort of venue, as well as the award of the worlds, one thing I have heard - although unconfirmed at this stage, is that they may host it at the Pretoria club - now this range is on the fringe of the city of Pretoria (like 10-15mins drive from city centre) and close to several major highways (I have shot FT at this venue so I am familiar with it). Given the expectations of people considering travelling to 'Africa' would you be happy with a venue that is suburban - and I am not talking somewhere that has the 'old world colonial' feel of say Bisley here.
    Not to bothered on location as long as its a safe part of town. Although if we go it would also be a holiday so would want to be near the game reserves. Did they not have a venue lined up before Ireland grabbed the worlds this year which was more rural.
    http://www.eastdevonftc.co.uk

On a break from FT.

Chris,
    The rural venue is still available, the owner is keen to be of assistance.

However as I have said there are mutterings - although not set in stone - of potentially using the Pretoria range - which although a reasonable venue for a club and league type shoot, I think lacks something that you might want having travelled 10000km's with the attendant expense. It is after all on the edge of a city, with all the attendant noise and at night light pollution - get out into the bush away from the towns and cities and the night skies down there are just incredible.

The nearest really good game reserve/national park is Pilanesberg, which is a fair drive from Pretoria, roughly 2-2.5hrs. Kruger Park is a good days drive away.

I am sure the SA guys will put on a good show no matter what, but it would be a pity IMO if they don't take advantage of their countryside to give a really superb venue.

I am in agreement with you Dale, I would like it to be more in the national parks like they had arranged last year, Just the air fares for two people works out to between £1600 - £1900 depending on airline, Not cheap so would be a shame to waste it in the city, Plus what is security like in the townships.

Chris
    http://www.eastdevonftc.co.uk

On a break from FT.

Hi Chris,

The city is somewhat different from what would be termed a 'township', but you wouldn't want to wander round central Pretoria after dark.

Flight wise I think you should be able to do better than the price you mention, I have just returned from SA, I booked in January and got two returns for £422 each with Emirates, even allowing for increasing prices I think it should be doable for under £650 per person next year.

From a South African

Rockdrill,
    One thing that should be kept in mind is: Would the airlines you have in mind fly your rifle(s)?

The rural areas are generally much more safe than the streets in the cities, especially on game/hunting farms and obviously National Parks, more so where the big five are roaming around. I know about nothing that scares a mugger/pick pocket off better than a charging buffalo or a roaring lion. LOL

Let me put everybody's mind at rest about the violence in SA. No matter where you are shooting or holidaying, you will be far away from where any violence takes place. It does not happen in the cities and towns that YOU would be living in, near to, or drive through, on your way to any destination you want to go, shooting at or holidaying at. Put violence out of your mind: it is the very least of your worries. It is not nearly as bad as you have heard. Ask Rockdrill, he comes here every year, for years now and he can vouch for that.

Gerrie, pretty much all the international carriers will transport firearms, it is one of the things I check when I book.

There are minor details varying between them, but plan ahead and there won't be any major problems.

Gerrie is spot on about trouble, you would not be going to anywhere that is likely to be particularly prone to trouble, a good tip is follow any advice given by the SA hosts.

As Gerrie says I have been visiting SA for some time now and I have gotten to where I am quite happy to drive and navigate my own way around the country, admittedly I do prefer to stay well away from central Jo'burg, but to be honest there is nothing worth seeing there anyway.

SA FT Champs

Dale and Gerrie ,

The pretty much perfect venue would be at Sun City , or one of the many private places near Sabi Sabi .

I think 99% of UK , or other folks from around the world would want to experience "olde africa" and these places would do well .

Transport in and out of these areas is pretty well organised , its very scenic , and if planned for the southern hemisphere winter , the days should be mild and dry . Temps up around 28 to 32 oC .

As far as security issues , as long as all shooters use their savy , and tie up or get advice from locals , travel routes will be as safe as possible .

The recent pictures that have been flooding newspapers are happening , but the areas these incidents take place are where most normal folk would consider "no go areas" .

As far as a venue for a world champ , realistically it should be perfect .

My vote would be the old "eastern transvaal" .

Gerry,
    Yes I will go with that as long as it is not in Pretoria, Johannesburg, Durban etc. As I said before a city is a city is a..... I would like the people that spend their money to get here feel safe and get to know the real South African. That only happens when you go out of the city. I visited UK a few time and only got to know the real Englishman when I visited Dale a few months ago and had the opportunity to meet people away from the city. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Dale lives out in the sticks but I could immediately see the difference in people's behavior, living in the smaller towns and villages that we visited or passed through, compared to the city of London, Birmingham and their suburbs etc.

It would be nice have it somewhere in keeping with the perceived character of SA, but never having been there, i'm not sure what the difference is between the possible sites...are we talking the difference between Dartmoor and Bisley, or are we talking about sitting under the M40 outside Birmingham?

Would like it to be rural, but one thing to remember is that many visiting might have non shooting partners, so something for them in terms of accomodation i think is worth thinking about.

Rob,

The Pretoria range is on the edge of the city of Pretoria - as the crow flies it is just over a mile or so from the city centre. It is bound on the east and west sides by important highways, with a third fairly busy road - the M7, from which the range is accessed lying to the north of the range. Swartkop airforce base lies to the south of the ranges.

If this works it is a link to a satellite image: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl...73128&t=h&z=14 The ranges can be found to the south of the M7 where the dirt road to the site branches off and head west towards the R101. The western side of one of the small bore ranges lies almost adjacent to the R101 highway (Jan Smuts Drive).

If you are going to the South Devon SWEFTA League shoot next Sunday I will bring my video camera along as I have some footage of the site that I filmed from the top of the Voortrekker Monument that lies on the hill to the north of the range.

I have shot FT at this range in 2003 when I assisted in setting up a competition course there, and also shot full bore pistol and small bore rifle comps at this range complex. Now don't get me wrong it is a good little venue , but for something as significant as the worlds I believe it would be a disappointment to those who have travelled internationally to not be out in a more wild location.

The range is about 45 minutes drive from Jo'burg Int airport, but for want of another 40 minutes of driving you could have a nice wild bushveld venue.......

Central Pretoria is not a place I would recommend for visiting, if you want to go shopping then you really need to get out to the malls such as Collonade or Montana Crossing out on Zambesi Drive on the north side of the city or Menlyn Mall on the eastern side of Pretoria.

If the event was to be hosted at a rural venue to the north-west of Pretoria, then this opens up the tourist areas around Hartbeesport Dam with its assorted curio markets and other attractions, also there is Sun City which is an easy drive along with Pilanesberg National Park where you can see most of the major game species.
    Last edited by rockdrill; 30-05-2008 at 10:02 AM.