Thread: Shooting black power - newbie

Shooting black power - newbie

Hi all

Looking for some advice please.

I shoot airguns and collect antique firearms (flintlock and percussion). I am thinking of taking up black powder shooting (using replica pieces) and wanted to know if you can recommend a good place/club to introduce myself and get 'shown the ropes'? I obviously do not yet hold a licence. I live in the Essex area, near Upminster.

kind regards
    Nick

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by njaw View Post
    Hi all

I shoot airguns and collect antique firearms (flintlock and percussion). I am thinking of taking up black powder shooting (using replica pieces) and wanted to know if you can recommend a good place/club to introduce myself and get 'shown the ropes'? I obviously do not yet hold a licence. I live in the Essex area, near Upminster.

kind regards
    Nick
    Can't help you with clubs as I live oop north but I can guarantee you the "grin factor" when you pull the trigger. My .44 revolver does it for me every time. Mind you, it's a pain in the arse cleaning it afterwards.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Easiest way to find a club is ring your local firearms dept and ask for the numbers of a couple of club secretaries in the area that shoot the disciplines you want to.

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    If you want to shoot BP pistols you could try Basildon rifle & pistol club i am sure some of them hang out on here? If you want to shoot BP shotgun or rifle you might have to go a bit further afield. A few of us in the wildfowling fraternity use frontstuffers as well (great muzzleflash in the dark).

Hi all

kind regards
    Nick
    Hey Nick

If you fancy a drive to Bisley you can try my 44 Rem pistol or 577 Enfield Rifle - and as lilguy43uk says - the grin factor is great !!!

Regards

Roy

thanks for the responses chaps.

A trip to Bisley sounds like a good idea.

thanks for the responses chaps.

A trip to Bisley sounds like a good idea.
    Hi Nick

Drop me a mail - we are small HO Approved club - and I will send you details/dates of our Guest Shoots.

There will be other nice things to shoot as well as the BP !!

Cheers

Roy

Hi Nick

I started shooting BP Revolvers approx a year and a half ago and haven’t looked back!

You’ll pick up more ‘pearls of wisdom’ than you can ‘shake a stick at' here. I have found this forum invaluable in improving my knowledge of the ‘mystic art’ of BP shooting.

The best bit is that you can shoot just for fun or get involved with the science of experimenting with different loads, ball weights and shapes, cap sizes, burn rates, lubricants etc etc etc - you'll probably choose the latter.

But the first step is to get your licence etc, pick a gun and start the fun
    'Gun control is like trying to reduce drink driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars'

Hi,

My club shoots BP most saturday mornings at our club in Chislehurst, Kent.

The club is called St. Nicholas Pistol and Rifle club. It's about 10min drive from J3 M25. http://www.snrpc.org.uk/

We also go to Bisley once a month, but don't always do BP there. We're going this coming Sunday, but unsure if BP is on the cards yet.

Paul