Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Makarov MP-654K really any good?

Is the Makarov MP-654K really any good?

Hi All,

I've been around air rifles on and off for the last 15 or so years and have recently got back in to it again and now on my 4th rifle in as many months a rather tasty airwolf

I consider myself to be fairly new to the world of pistols though and Im looking for something a little less serious to have as a nice fun plinker to compliment the wolf. also something that's astheticaly pleasing to the eye, I have owned a few pistols but can't say I've found my 'keeper' yet.

I have done the usual searching and loads of forum reading about this Makarov 654K that keeps popping up as a 'keeper' pistol.

I don't know what it is but I just have a hankering for one, I know it only shoots bb's but even still Im not after serious paper punching or accuracy, Fun and handling is my main priority.

What I would like to know is what is it that's so appealing about this mak? are they really that good? is it mainly because its built up of around 90% original firearms parts that makes it just one of those pistols to have?

I have never seen one yet let alone held or fired one, But I just know I want one

Please give me your feedback you lucky mak owners I would like to know all + and - points please.

They Just look perfect:
    Last edited by oldskoolzzz; 10-01-2010 at 02:03 PM.

I had one and sold it. Some people swear by them, but I didnt find it to be anything special.
    "If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"

Quote Originally Posted by GLow View Post
    I had one and sold it. Some people swear by them, but I didnt find it to be anything special.
    Thanks for the reply GLow, Did you have any probs with it or was it just a case of not lighting your fire?

They require a little work to smooth out but can be excellent with the required effort.
    Power can be turned up over 5ft/lbs and action smoothed considerable, plus a whole host of genuine Mak accsessories can be fitted.

Construction is mostly steel and extremely durable, Umarexs for instance are constructed from zinc pot metal .
    Accuracy is quite good indeed with lead BB's and superior barrels can be fitted. Pellets will fit if used as single shot.

Difficult to obtain but one of the best on the market.

No problems with it, and it was easy enough to strip should there be any problems. The magazine holds both the CO2 and the BB's, which is a nice touch. I preferred the Walther PPK for sheer fun factor.

Give one a go, they do keep their value should it not turn out to be a keeper.

I really fancy an Airwolf and have been seriously thinking of selling my TDR and S16S to put towards a wolf or maybe a ranger. Is yours everything that you hoped it would be?
    "If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"

a wolf or maybe a ranger.
    If I may comment?. The Ranger has a regulator, hence better shot-count, the Airwolf does not or it is less effective.
    Unimportant if that's not a concern but for HFT/FT it is factor.

No problems with it, and it was easy enough to strip should there be any problems. The magazine holds both the CO2 and the BB's, which is a nice touch. I preferred the Walther PPK for sheer fun factor.

Give one a go, they do keep their value should it not turn out to be a keeper.

I really fancy an Airwolf and have been seriously thinking of selling my TDR and S16S to put towards a wolf or maybe a ranger. Is yours everything that you hoped it would be?
    Thanks for the info chaps keep it coming

Regards the airwolf, hand on heart it's the best rifle i've ever owned It does everything I want it to do and im still highly impressed with it, the shot count is superb, and I know its one of those 'yeah would say that cos you own one etc' but I will always tell it how it is.

I bought a rapid7 before the wolf because it was recommended to me as the rifle to have etc and at first I was impressed with it, but that gradualy wore off, the lack of any quick fill and gauge started to slowly put me off it, removing the buddy bottle all the time was becoming a chore and then I started to have seal problems and leaks with it which put the nail in the coffin.

sold it and bought the wolf I use it for hunting and target shooting down my local range in my view and from my experiences its highly recomended and everything its cracked up to be

"Pellets will fit if used as single shot"

I didn't know that chap, forgive me for being thick I assume that would be just insert one pellet in the mag and then load?

sounds like theres quite a bit of scope on them then with tuning potential etc

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    I didn't know that chap, forgive me for being thick I assume that would be just insert one pellet in the mag and then load?
    It's not common knowledge but if you remove the slide and manually insert the pellet it will fire them. Fiddly but worth it in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Korium View Post
    It's not common knowledge but if you remove the slide and manually insert the pellet it will fire them. Fiddly but worth it in some cases.
    Ah, I see that would be a little fiddly, I take it theres no way of modding it to fire a mag with pellets in?

with regards to fitting superior barrels do you know if that would allow scope for a silencer to be fitted?

sorry to keep pestering on about it, I just want to increase my knowledge of them, is it simple enough to put it up to around 5ft?

keep the feedback coming good or bad

I take it theres no way of modding it to fire a mag with pellets in?

with regards to fitting superior barrels do you know if that would allow scope for a silencer to be fitted?

sorry to keep pestering on about it, I just want to increase my knowledge of them, is it simple enough to put it up to around 5ft?

keep the feedback coming good or bad
    Maybe but getting it to feed would be very awkward.

Yes, once an extended barrel is fitted a adaptor can be made to facilitate the addition.

No, it's also quite risky in terms of either overdoing it or ruining the valve. Power is adjusted via magazine modification, which is where the valve is housed.

Thanks for the info Korium I appericiate it

I can't wait to get one, only problem is the nearest shop that has one in stock is blooming miles away unless Im quickest to the draw in the FS section

The superior barrel intrigues me, would that be the drudz or droid something or other type barrel?

I've got two Makarov's and think they're great fun.Don't expect too much but they are a fantastic plinker and when you get used to the gun quite accurate better than the Walther PPK without the blowback off course.I use Gamo lead balls(13 in the mag) very lightly lubed that work quite well with good power and approximately 60 shots out of one Co2 capsule

Thanks for the info Korium I appericiate it

The superior barrel intrigues me, would that be the drudz or droid something or other type barrel?
    No problem.

Yes, that is the easiest option, although something better could possibly be machined to fit. I haven't seen any full on custom Makarovs for a while but I'm sure some had various other barrels.

Forgot to mention the barrel is rifled.