Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 (2nd half) Pistol Competition

2008 (2nd half) Pistol Competition

A new pistol competition is now open for entrants.
    almost exactly the same rules as the previous comp that has just finished, but one major difference, the competition will run for 6 consecutive months but only your best 5 scores will count, so you could have a long break if required.

Open to any pistol that requires a cocking effort, ie. no pcp's. ( sorry but opening and closing a breech cover does not class as effort in my book)

Targets can be downloaded from post number 33 on the following link, http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...=237987&page=3 all credit goes to biggles for supplying same.

Competition can be shot at 10 metres or 6 yards whichever suits you best using relative target.

Single handed, open sights, 5 shots at four targets for a total of 20 shots.
    maximum 20 sighting shots before starting, sighting shots and then scoring shots to be done consecutively ie all cards shot in one sitting. ( er... I mean standing!)

Competition is an "Honesty" competition, simply shoot your cards and submit your scores on this thread before the monthly deadline which will be the 24th of each month before 12pm midnight UK time. Scores received after that deadline will be deemed as the following months submission.

Scores will be listed at my website as per last time www.shireshop.co.uk click on the pistol comp link in the left menu.

I will offer a prize to the overall high score at the end of the 6 months. This will be a handmade sterling silver t-bar curb bracelet. Weiging approx 31 grams so quite a hefty peice of jewellery suitable for a man, (although I sell quite alot to women.) It should be fully Uk hallmarked as well ( I just need to get a big batch together to justify sending them all off for hallmarking). I will post out to the winner whatever country they may be from, (thinking of Jim there)
    For those that don't know I am a hobbyist chain/jewellery maker, hence the choice of prize.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...racelet003.jpg
    http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...racelet002.jpg

Hopefully thats all, add your name below for me to set up the score sheet then submit your first scores by 24th June.
    Cheers
    graeme
    Last edited by pollythedog; 27-05-2008 at 11:17 PM.
    PM me for money saving prices on aquarium fish foods.

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)
    Nice one Graeme.

Two names to get things started :

1. pollythedog
    2. Biggles (using HW75)

Rapid MkII .22, AA400C .177, AA MPR .177, AA Prosport .177, AA TX200, AA FTP900, HW75 .177, HW45 Silver Star .22, and my dear ol' Webley Ranger .177 (circa 1966) Mile Oak - WEB SITE Air Arms HFT Team member

Quote Originally Posted by biggles View Post
    Nice one Graeme.

Two names to get things started :

1. pollythedog
    2. Biggles (using HW75)
    3.Targetmark(HW40)

Me too please.

1. Pollythedog
    2. Biggles (HW75)
    3. Targetmark (HW40)
    4. Cookie (HW40)
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by pollythedog View Post
    I will post out to the winner whatever country they may be from, (thinking of Jim there)

Cheers
    graeme

Thanks for thinking of me, Polly, but with my scores, I doubt that you'll be facing the expense of overseas postage!

Count me in for the competition, though, with my Beeman P3.

Would it be OK if I switched to another pistol during the competition?

The reason I ask is because the Beeman is the only one I own at present, but I'm thinking about getting another one for open sight competitions, and putting a red dot sight on the Beeman.

Jim

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by pollythedog View Post

Open to any pistol that requires a cocking effort, ie. no pcp's. ( sorry but opening and closing a breech cover does not class as effort in my book)

Cheers
    graeme
    Would CO2 pistols be acceptable?

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Would CO2 pistols be acceptable?

Jim
    Hi Jim, I fear co2 would be out of it, unless you have one that requires physical effort to cock it.

cheers
    Graeme

p.s. nice to see familiar names and a new ones on board.
    PM me for money saving prices on aquarium fish foods.

OK, just got a new Gamo compact so this seems a good chance to run it in, I'll have a go.
    And if the Gamo can't shoot straight I'll switch back to my trusty old Original model 6.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by jefL View Post
    OK, just got a new Gamo compact so this seems a good chance to run it in, I'll have a go.
    And if the Gamo can't shoot straight I'll switch back to my trusty old Original model 6.
    Keep us posted as to how you like the Gamo: it's one (of several) that I'm considering for purchase.

Jim

Gamo are nice pistolsbut they need the trigger sorting on them to make them really nice as the trigger pull is a bit on the heavy side.

First impressions of the compact.

Fairly easy to cock, not too heavy to hold. The sights are adequate, despite being plastic. The grip is comfortable but a little on the small side, ok for me as I don't have very large hands. How does it shoot?
    Well the trigger is fairly heavy (and non-adjustable) and this, combined with the light weight, give the gun a definite muzzle flip. I had to resort to a rest and a firm grip to control this but the accuracy was then more than satisfactory, very close to my Rohm twin (ie far better than ME).

I have found it difficult to control this flip so I am definitely going to have to modify the trigger pull, and maybe add some weight to the front of the barrel (I use a 20gm weight on the Rohm), I just need to source some suitable springs for the trigger. I'll let you know how I get on.

So far, well worth the money and I am pleased with my purchase.
    Jef

Hhmmmm....your comments about the light weight worry me, since that's the main problem I'm having with my Beeman.

The 20g weight you added to the Rohm: was that something you improvised?

Jim

The barrel weights are an aftermarket accessory for the lower spec models in the range. A rod screws into the front of the trigger guard extending forward under the air tank. Two sliding weights are provided and can be locked in place with a grub screw, I just use the one, as far forward as it will go.

Like this:- CLICKY

Except.......I made my own

Back to the Gamo trigger now.
    I stripped the grips and inner cover off to access the trigger spring. A quick rummage in my bits box and I found a similar size spring (I NEVER throw anything away) that felt like half the effort was needed to stretch it compared with the stock item. Before I fitted it I removed both parts of the sear/trigger and polished them. Both bits are assembled from several stamped laminations and the steel is a bit rough. 5 minutes with a fine needle file, followed by 360 grade silicon carbide tape and oil and then solvol autosol (metal polish) applied with a lolly stick brought them up to a nice shine. A smear of sae30 oil on each part and the two pivot pins and I re-assembled the gun. The result? luuuuuuuuuuuuuverly smooth let off.
    And the muzzle flip?......GONE
    It was entirely down to me squeezing too hard
    This alone seems to have cured the muzzle flip, at least from the quick test I have done so far, more shooting is needed to confirm but if it has cured it then the light weight of this pistol may yet turn out to be an advantage.
    Last edited by jefL; 04-06-2008 at 07:41 PM. Reason: clarification of which trigger
    Jef

Could you put me down for the comp please? Gamo Compact.

Jeff - can I ask you what pellets you are using in your Gamo Compact?

cheers.

Regards

Brian

I am currently using RWS CO2 Target, they were the only wadcutters my local shop had in stock, they do however seem very good.

I usually use RWS Hobby in the Rohm and the Original 6 but I was getting a bit low on them and thought I'd try something different in the Gamo.
    Jef