Thread: Leupold VX – III 4.5 – 14 X 50 30mm Tube

Leupold VX – III 4.5 – 14 X 50 30mm Tube

I have just fitted one of the above scopes to my HMR, Duplex Reticule

First impressions out of the box:

Nice feel to the scope, decent weight but not too heavy. Scope seems well finished and fittings seem to be put together with tight tolerances.

Instructions nice and clear and well written in plain English.

First look through the scope:

I had looked through a couple of second hand/older examples of this scope and that is what made me decide on getting one of these to upgrade my Nikko Sterling Nighteater sat on my HMR.

I am not disappointed by this scope. The sight picture is very good, excellent light transmission and crisp focus on both reticule and objective.

I have a Schmidt and bender on my 243 and this scope compares very well though I am yet to look through it under a lamp or at twilight.

Eye relief is good and I find it easy to get a clear sight picture through the scope prone, standing or kneeling.

Mounting/Bore Sighting:

Mounted the scope and then bore sighted it. No issues at all.

Zeroing:

Out this evening to zero, weather was far from perfect being windy but I needed to get out an about. I normally zero at 100m but set up in a reasonably sheltered spot at 40m to just see how we go. Bore sighting had worked well and first group of three 1.5 inches left but perfect height.

A few adjustments and I shot a decent group soon after:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...9/100_2604.jpg

Overall all impressions:

Very pleased, the optic quality is good, I set up at one point looking towards a very low sun as it set and had no problem getting a clear sight picture.

In bright light the image was excellent.

Zoom, is smooth and easy to move/set.

Parallax, likewise.

I need to get it out with a lamp and in the dark but I am very pleased with it so far.

A very snaps:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...g/100_2606.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...g/100_2607.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...g/100_2608.jpg

Jerry

I have the same scope only with the varmint hunters ret on my CZ American.
    very nice scope, good optics and very good quality all around.
    But I have been a bit dissapionted with it's performance in low light conditions.
    But it's good to hear that you rate it compared to the S&B.

I am looking at one of these to replace my 6x42 S&B - eyes needing a boost as I get older. Originally I was looking at a S&B variable but you need a mortgage for one of them. Don't do too much low light work so this looks good. Thanks and nice group!
    John

I have now used in in anger a few times, longest shot was 180m head shot rabbit at dusk and it was perfect, no issues with light gathering.

I have also used it under the lamp, a Lightforce Striker 170 with amber filter, again far better then my old Nikko but a small margin behind the S&B.

Still very pleased with it indeed.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by 455webley View Post
    I am looking at one of these to replace my 6x42 S&B - eyes needing a boost as I get older. Originally I was looking at a S&B variable but you need a mortgage for one of them. Don't do too much low light work so this looks good. Thanks and nice group!
    John
    No comparison, S & B are far superior in every way. Save up and buy another Schmidt.

May I enquire as to how much you paid for it and from where

I have a 17HMR with a Bushnell Legend and Im looking to up-grade

Thanks

I picked it up on ####, just over £340 inc delivery from the states, no import duty.

pm me for details if you want.

Jerry