Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Benjamin Sheridan EB, or HW 45?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Thanks, RG: I'll have to give those Superdomes a try.

Of these two pistols, which do you think is the more powerful?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Jim
    Your'e not still debating are you?
    I chrono'd my pistols today, it was about 18c here today so nice and warm for a test, The EB .20 with H&N ftt 5.8ftlbs for 30 shots from a new capsule before it started dropping off.

The HW45 which has a .22 barrel in a .177 action with .22 H&Nftt first few shots were 5.3 ftlbs then when the grease warmed up went to 5.6ftlbs consistantly.

These readings were taken on an alpha crony shot through from 3mts as I find you get better readings than from a few inches.

Best advise is get an EB that has been a little fettled from sombody that knows what they are doing S/H.

And definately get the HW45 they are such good build quality

Cheers
    Eric
    Enjoy every step you take, you never know which one will be your last.

Also get the Gamo Compact Jim.
    Now I've sorted the trigger it is turning out to be a stunning pistol. I can't quite believe how accurate it is for the price.
    I am now matching scores I previously only obtained two handed, but shooting single handed.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

What worries me about the Gamo is its light weight. I have a hard time holding the HW 40/P3 steady.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

My HW45 bought recently does 4fpe .177 and is great fun to shoot but can be very erratic (probably me). Our lad has one in .22 bought years ago the cocking and firing is smoother and does not recoil as much as mine. Mine has true glow sights which I consider an asset. Both do a great job on a tin can and can easily hit one at 20yds I often do this. Both are very hold sensetive but can be very accurate if you get it right bit of a black art.

Mine has a problem with the right hand safety toggle which currently is not attatched, formerly pins vibrating out, sounds like dracula's coffin lid being lifted during cocking.

Were I to consider buying one now pitting Skeltz's against mine I would buy an older one second hand as I believe the build quality of the new ones is poor.
    John
    I Wear my Badge I have my Voice Proud to be a BASC Member

Smile Mine

Here are my 45 and EB20

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...h/DSCF2301.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...h/DSCF2302.jpg

Both bought S/H from this site, The .20 is as I bought it but has had a little modding to the internals by me.

I serviced the 45 and made the grips from some plum branch that given to me for my woodburner but when I split it and saw the grain I had to use it instead.

I will be making some for the EB soon and better ones for the 45.

So Jim,
    Made up your mind yet?

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by mr-punch View Post
    Here are my 45 and EB20

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...h/DSCF2301.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...h/DSCF2302.jpg

Both bought S/H from this site, The .20 is as I bought it but has had a little modding to the internals by me.

I serviced the 45 and made the grips from some plum branch that given to me for my woodburner but when I split it and saw the grain I had to use it instead.

I will be making some for the EB soon and better ones for the 45.

So Jim,
    Made up your mind yet?

Eric
    Beauties, both of them, Eric.

I'm still undecided. But since my Smith arrived just yesterday, I'll have some time getting used to that one and some need to save up for the next one, before my next air pistol purchase.

Cheers,

Jim

Can you take the barrel off of an EB22?

If you have an angle grinder or a dremel with cutting disc you can

Then you would have to braize or brass solder the new one on

Any thing is possible but best not to do it.

Eric

Red face okkkkkkkkkkkkk

i have a eb22,and a hw45 in 177,for me anyway,,hw every time,,but i like the eb,,,light gun,,,v powerful,,,as loud as a cannon,,,my 11 year old daughter can ,cock ,,load and shoot,,,,not many pistols can boast that..ive had my hw for 17 years now,,,still looks new,,,,,every pistol collection,should have one