Thread: Benjamin Sheridan EB, or HW 45?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Benjamin Sheridan EB, or HW 45?

If you had to choose between one of these pistols - one of them a CO2, the other a springer - for the task of destroying, say, a vicious tin can at 20 paces : which would you prefer, and why?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

HW45, better build quality and a springer so no messing around.

Hi Jim,

Never handled an HW45, but my EB22 rips the buggers to bits.

apparently very close to 6ft/lbs and I reckon it's true, packs one hell of a punch...

recommend it.

atb

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

I have both, the HW45 in .177 and .22 and the EB in .20 and .22.

Build wise the HW45 wins no problem though the EB is not a flimsy affair either. My EB .20 seems to be more powerful than the .22 and fires with an impressive bang. Accuracy wise I find easier to be on target at short distance with the EB than the HW45 , this may be due to the weight of the HW45 or my skill/lack of or both.

I find the EB .20 does more damage to thicker soup cans than the HW45 in either caliber and the EB .22.

I have had a few pellets bounce off with the HW45, though leaving quite a dent in the can.

My EB .20 regulary goes thru both ends of a thick soup can.

My HW45 is well worn in so even though the EB being co2 is easier to rapid shoot, the HW45 is smooth and quick to cock and fire.

The safety on my HW45 is the one thing I do not like, has a mind of its own but have been told how to fix this. The EB safety is excellent.

The ease of taking the EB apart is a good point for service, the HW45 is not much more of a hassle and changing barrels is easy peasy.

I have a scope as well as a laser on my HW45 so accuracy is very good with these aids. My last HW45 had no aiming aids and I still found it easy to be accurate out to approx 20 yards. Sure it would be good at slightly longer range but I do not have the space right now.

The EB is used with open sights, which are basic but functional, though I have just purchased some benjaim scope mounts for it and will see what a good red dot , scope laser etc will do.

Even though the HW45 is more "real gun" looking, I find the EB'S simple design and excellent build make it a pleasure to shoot.

It truely is a pick up and shoot kinda gun. Never really counted how many shots I get out of it but sure it must be over 25.

So accuracy wise it goes to the HW45 at the moment but a close race. Looks wise the HW45 but I think the EB once polished /chromed and blinged it would be the winner for me. Ease of use I give to the EB due to the simple bolt actiona nd ease at getting of the next shot compared to the springer even though a well broken gun takes no time at all.

My 2 and halfs pence worth

Patricio

Get both I did and both are great in their own way as said above
    Eric
    Enjoy every step you take, you never know which one will be your last.

Quote Originally Posted by mr-punch View Post
    Get both I did and both are great in their own way as said above
    Eric
    Stop encouraging me to spend money, Eric!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Ah well Jim
    consider the EB cheaper to buy but running costs are higher but what a lovely compact pistol.

HW45 dearer to buy and cheaper to run but longer and heavier.

Both great pistols thats why I got both among others which I must list on here soon.

Cheers Eric
    Enjoy every step you take, you never know which one will be your last.

Quote Originally Posted by el maipino View Post
    I have both, the HW45 in .177 and .22 and the EB in .20 and .22.

Build wise the HW45 wins no problem though the EB is not a flimsy affair either. My EB .20 seems to be more powerful than the .22 and fires with an impressive bang. Accuracy wise I find easier to be on target at short distance with the EB than the HW45 , this may be due to the weight of the HW45 or my skill/lack of or both.

I find the EB .20 does more damage to thicker soup cans than the HW45 in either caliber and the EB .22.

I have had a few pellets bounce off with the HW45, though leaving quite a dent in the can.

My EB .20 regulary goes thru both ends of a thick soup can.

My HW45 is well worn in so even though the EB being co2 is easier to rapid shoot, the HW45 is smooth and quick to cock and fire.

The safety on my HW45 is the one thing I do not like, has a mind of its own but have been told how to fix this. The EB safety is excellent.

The ease of taking the EB apart is a good point for service, the HW45 is not much more of a hassle and changing barrels is easy peasy.

I have a scope as well as a laser on my HW45 so accuracy is very good with these aids. My last HW45 had no aiming aids and I still found it easy to be accurate out to approx 20 yards. Sure it would be good at slightly longer range but I do not have the space right now.

The EB is used with open sights, which are basic but functional, though I have just purchased some benjaim scope mounts for it and will see what a good red dot , scope laser etc will do.

Even though the HW45 is more "real gun" looking, I find the EB'S simple design and excellent build make it a pleasure to shoot.

It truely is a pick up and shoot kinda gun. Never really counted how many shots I get out of it but sure it must be over 25.

So accuracy wise it goes to the HW45 at the moment but a close race. Looks wise the HW45 but I think the EB once polished /chromed and blinged it would be the winner for me. Ease of use I give to the EB due to the simple bolt actiona nd ease at getting of the next shot compared to the springer even though a well broken gun takes no time at all.

My 2 and halfs pence worth

Patricio
    That's quite a review, Pat: thank you.

Jim

cptman is offline Moody Git.........Apparently?
    i've got both pistols and both do the job however with the eb once you have put in the gas cylinder you either have to use it completely or discard when only part used half used otherwise you will damage the seals.
    the hw45 you can pick up or put down regardles of how many shots you put through it.
    for me it's th hw45 every time (the build quality is much better too)